Substitute for Pumpkin Pie Spice
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
5 simple spices is all it takes to make your own substitute for pumpkin pie spice. This DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice takes less than 5 minutes and is perfect for all your fall and holiday baking. Plus 4 free printable gift tags for holiday gifting.
So when you need a substitute for pumpkin pie spice, this one is much more economical than store bought pumpkin pie spice too. A small jar is anywhere from $3-5 each and you are out of it no time. This recipe makes 5 tablespoons for much less. Works great as a substitute for apple pie spice too!
If you love baking, you might want to try it in these recipes that are our fall favorites; Creamy Curry Pumpkin Soup, Pumpkin Bread and Pumpkin Scones.
I typically do not have pumpkin pie spice in my cabinet when I need it, it’s so easy to whip this up! And you can too!
Ingredients to make Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute
As I mentioned, just 5 simple spices you probably already have in your pantry!
- Ground Cinnamon | Ceylon and cassia cinnamon are the two cinnamons. Spicier, bolder cassia cinnamon (often labeled simply as cinnamon) is preferred for baking. With Ceylon being the more high quality spice. However; both are perfectly fine to use in this pumpkin spice recipe.
- Ground Ginger | Adds a bit of a bite to the spice mix, rounding out the sweeter spices.
- Ground Nutmeg | One of my favorite spices, often used in savory recipes too! Like this broccoli cheese soup!
- Ground Allspice | Contrary to what its name suggests, allspice isn’t a blend of other spices—it’s a unique ingredient that lends its distinctive flavor to fall desserts and savory dishes. Also known as Jamaica pepper, myrtle pepper, pimenta, or pimento, is the dried unripe berry of Pimenta dioica, a mid-canopy tree native to the Greater Antilles, southern Mexico, and Central America, now cultivated in many warm parts of the world.
- Ground Cloves | A personal favorite of mine, cloves are the flower buds of the clove tree, an evergreen also known as Syzygium aromaticum. You may know cloves as one of the main ingredients in gingerbread baked goods or a staple spice in Indian cuisine.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
It’s as easy as pie! Simply measure out the spices into a small bowl, whisk until blended. Sometimes the ginger can be clumpy, I used the end of my whisk to break part some of the larger clumps.
What is Pumpkin Spice?
It is a spice blend, simply to make adding to recipes a little easier. Most pumpkin spice blends include cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, others vary by adding spices such as allspice, cardamom, and cloves. I took all of my favorite warm spices and made this blend.
How Can I use this Spice Mix?
- Pumpkin Pie | Obvious! It’s the reason this spice blend was created, and I’m embarrassed that I don’t have a pumpkin pie recipe, soon, I promise!
- Savory Dishes | Try a sprinkle on top of cheese fondue, broccoli cheddar soup, cauliflower soup, in curry’s, Pumpkin Soup, and alfredo sauces, to name a few.
- Drinks | Try a sprinkle on top of warm cider, Hot Buttered Rum, Chai Latte or other fall inspired drinks!
- Baking | If a recipe calls for the majority of the ingredients in the pumpkin spice mix, you can substitute it one for one, just add up the total spices suggested and replace with equal amounts of pumpkin pie spice.
- Squash | sprinkle on top of yams, spaghetti squash, butternut and any and all types of summer and fall squash.
- Food Gifts | One of my favorite things to do! I love whipping some up, adding a pretty label (I’ve got 4 to choose from!) and gifting for a little hostess gift at this time of year. Also great for holiday gifting, you might also include your favorite pumpkin pie recipe or pumpkin cake.
Tell me how you will use your Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Free Printable Pumpkin Pie Spice Labels
Access all 4 Designs of Free Pumpkin Spice Labels by clicking the button below.
A window will open where you pop in your email address and I’ll send you the link to the free, printable gift tags in an email.
Label Options for you!
Print on Avery 64502 2″ Waterproof Round Labels
Print on 65# Kraft Paper or #65 cardstock cut out using 2″ Round punch
or simply cut out by hand.
Click ABOVE button to access free printables.
Suggested Supplies for Holiday Gifting
- Jar | Use any small pretty jar you have! These are a few of my favorites: Weck Tulip Jars, Mini Mason Jars, or Ball Spice Jars.
- Labels or Punch | Use either printer friendly round labels or my preference is to print on paper and use this 2″ round punch.
- Decoration | Kitchen Twine, Jute, or wire garland.
Recipes to use your pumpkin pie spice substitute:
Don’t forget to PIN to your Favorite Gifts Board!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute
- Mini Mason Jars Round 4 oz – Small Canning Glass Jars with Lids – 16 Pack Cute Jars with 40 Labels & Chalk Marker, Clear Containers for your Candy, Jelly, Overnight Oats, Yogurt, Honey & Baby Food
- 3 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger, scant
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, heaping
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a mixing bowl, measure out all spice ingredients. Whisk until combined, using bottom of whisk to break up any clumping spices.
- Store in airtight container, up to 6 months.
✱ Kathleen’s Tips
The Fresh Cooky is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Food Gift Ideas
Gifts from the kitchen are gifts from the heart! Not only will you be proud to gift these items, but you'd be pretty thrilled to receive them yourself!
Christmas Gift Tags for DIY Gifts
These tags are perfect for all of your gift ideas!
Homemade Golden Milk Spice Mix with Printable Tags
Healthy, delicious, Golden Milk Latte Spice Mix is perfect for those enjoying Golden Milk or Turmeric Tea daily. Also great for a gift.
3 Easy to Make DIY Gifts for Cooks
Homemade Bourbon Vanilla Extract
Homemade bourbon vanilla extract is deliciously smooth and so easy to make. Two ingredients and some time is all you need! Great for gift giving, free downloadable labels!
Antibacterial Hand Scrub
Make your own DIY antibacterial hand scrub that promotes healthy, clean, soft skin.
Rich & Chewy Hot Fudge Sauce
A sublime, rich, chewy hot fudge sauce. Warmed it melts onto your ice cream, cooling into a thick, chewy fudge.
Christmas in a Bag (Simmering Spices)
Give the gift of aromatherapy to a friend or neighbor this Christmas! A mixture of cinnamon, orange, cloves, pine, a little anise and allspice.
Fall Simmering Spices
Want your home to smell like fall without toxic air fresheners? Here is an all-natural, inexpensive and simple way to fill your home with the aroma of fall and Thanksgiving!
Eucalyptus Shower Salt Scrub
A deliciously easy salt scrub; filled with sense awakening eucalyptus oil, silky sweet almond oil and the power of salt to scrub away dead skin.
Easy Rosemary Cashews
An amazing recipe for roasted cashews enhanced with woodsy rosemary with a sweet and spicy slurry.
Hibiscus Simple Syrup
This Hibiscus Simple Syrup adds a subtle floral, lemony and slightly tangy flavor to craft cocktails, Italian sodas, iced-teas, buttercream and ice cream.
Vanilla Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Need a quick, elegant, simple dessert sauce to wow your guests? This Vanilla Bourbon Caramel sauce is rich and creamy, a little bit salty with a hint of bourbon.
Maple Bourbon Pecans
Candied pecans are amazing and these no refined sugar Maple Bourbon Pecans are even better! Sweet maple syrup, smoky bourbon, rich cinnamon, a little spicy heat makes these pecans outrageously addictive! A delicious sweet-salty mix.
Instant Pot Homemade Elderberry Syrup (+ Stovetop Instructions)
A spoonful of Homemade Elderberry Syrup every day will help boost your immune system, preventing and treating flu and colds. Instant Pot or Stovetop
Luscious Lemon Curd
Homemade Luscious Lemon Curd is made using wholesome, all natural ingredients using a foolproof technique, plus I'll give you 20+ ways to use this delectable citrus-y curd.
Cranberry Simple Syrup
The crown jewel of simple syrups, this cranberry simple syrup is all natural and made with just 3 ingredients. The ideal and festive mixer for your holiday drinks!
Basic Crock Pot Soft Granola with Yogurt Parfaits
Soft, hearty and chewy textured granola. Easily customizable to your tastes. Delicious on it's own with some milk or in a yogurt bowl or parfait.
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.
Just the perfect blend! I love to sprinkle it on top of coffee in the mornings!
I love making my own spice mixes because I am not a clove fan and love extra salt:)
I never keep spice blends in the house, and I needed some today for pancakes. This blend is PERFECTION, and those free printable gift tags are going to be so cute for the holidays! I can see my family and friends adoring this as a present.
Those labels are so stinking adorable! I love adding pumpkin spice to my smoothies during the fall season. This is a much more economical!
Nutmeg is one of my favorite spices too! I love the ease of making your own pumpkin spice ~ this is perfect for many of my fall recipes! The printable labels are so cute too, thank you for providing them!
Thank you so much Tasia!!
I mixed some of this up, and it’s great. I’m tossing it in my morning oatmeal! Perfect blend!
Great idea, I just added it to my oatmeal this morning too! Added a lovely spice!