Salted Caramel Bourbon Vanilla Sauce
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
This simple dessert will WOW your guests! Salted Caramel Bourbon Vanilla Sauce is rich and creamy, with a hint of salt that brings out the rich caramel flavor and sweetness of the bourbon, an elegant sauce that comes together in a matter of minutes.
You may use all light brown sugar, but I love the deeper flavor using both dark and light brown. Add the packed brown sugars and cubed cold butter into a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan.
Over medium-low heat, stir the sugars and butter until melted, it’ll start pretty grainy, but stir away and the sugars will begin to melt into the butter.
Stir for about 7 minutes, stirring the whole time. It’ll get nice and thick, but it might still be a bit grainy.
Very slowly, add in your heavy cream while whisking/stirring steadily.
Next add your vanilla and bourbon*, whisking until it’s smooth. You gotta get one of these mini measuring cups!!
Raise the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 60 seconds, the mixture will get tiny bubbles and start to rise in the pan.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the salt.
If it gets clumpy just whisk it until it’s smooth again.
Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then pour into a jar for serving or storing.
Suggested Uses for Bourbon Vanilla Caramel Sauce
- Pour over ice cream
- On any fruit pie or crisp
- Use as a dip for apples and other fruits
- In a Caramel Coffee
- On this easy, ice cream cake
Look at that beautiful caramel; a rich, thick, golden sauce!
PIN TO YOUR FAVORITE DESSERT SAUCE BOARD!
If not using immediately, allow to cool to room temperature completely before refrigerating in a sealed jar, like a mason jar or clean and dry jelly jar.
To serve, if desired, warm up in microwave for 20-30 seconds.
*If making this for kids or those who are gluten free, replace the bourbon with vanilla extract.
If you enjoy this sauce, try these other rich and elegant recipes!
Salted Caramel Bourbon Vanilla Sauce makes a beautiful gift!
Print these tags for easy and simple food gifting!
Rich Sauces and Cakes
This Kentucky Butter Cake is simply delicious and ridiculously easy! You can’t mess it up! Rich buttery pound cake drenched in a vanilla sauce and if desired, served with Vanilla Bourbon Caramel sauce.
Crème Anglaise is the most amazing sauce, dessert topping, pouring custard! A luxurious, rich and creamy sauce, with many uses over many desserts.
The crown jewel of simple syrups, this cranberry simple syrup is all natural and made with just 3 ingredients. The ideal and festive mixer for your holiday drinks!
This Chocolate Bread Pudding uses whole food ingredients; turning bread, chocolate, cream and eggs into a rich, decadent chocolate delight! Perfect for a special breakfast or dessert!
Homemade Luscious Lemon Curd is made using wholesome, all natural ingredients using a foolproof technique, plus I'll give you 20+ ways to use this delectable citrus-y curd.
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Vanilla Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed (may use all light brown if desired)
- 6 tablespoons regular or unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the brown sugars and butter into a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Melt sugar and butter over medium-low heat, cooking and stirring constantly, about 6-7 minutes until it gets nice and thick. It might be grainy, but that will change.
- Very slowly, pour in your heavy cream while whisking to combine. Whisk in your vanilla and bourbon, whisk until smooth. Increase heat to medium-high, bringing the mixture to boil, tiny bubbles will break the surface. The caramel will bubble and rise, boil for 60 seconds without stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before serving. If waiting to serve, cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Caramel sauce may be reheated, by pouring desired amount into a microwave safe dish and heating for 20 seconds until warm. Store any leftovers in refrigerator, lasts 1-2 weeks.
✱ Kathleen's Tips
The Fresh Cooky is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.