Save money with this simple and delicious homemade coffee-free Chai Tea Latte recipe! Darjeeling tea infused with the rich warm spices of cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger. It has all the right spices, beautifully blended, and extremely smooth, the kind of drink that warms you through and through.
Homemade Chai Tea Latte
Whether you drink it warm or iced, this is a beautifully balanced beverage (ooh an alliteration). I’ve definitely acquired a taste for Chai, some are too spicy, but I love this one. I served it up to a couple of friends the other day (non-chai lovers) and they liked it! I don’t know if they loved it, but they liked it!
I came across this recipe for small batch homemade chai tea latte that you can keep in your fridge at a fraction of the cost it will cost you to buy one at a coffee shop. I found it in a cookbook I picked up while on vacation; I love picking up local cookbooks with recipes from local restaurants and B & B’s, some are winners some are not, but this is most definitely a winner!!
You may have to go out and buy a few of the ingredients, but once you have them hopefully you’ll be fine for awhile. (Note the missing ginger, sigh)
I made two batches of this for two different gatherings, back-to-back and both times I completely spaced the ginger! But as I said earlier, I think that is why the non-chai drinkers actually liked it, so put it in, reduce it, or leave it out all together, it’s a matter of taste.
It’s easier if you measure all of your ingredients (except the milk) into a small bowl before you get started, that way once your water comes to a boil, you can place everything in the pot.
How to Make Chai Tea
Next snip your vanilla bean into 1 inch pieces and place with the rest of your ingredients.
Place all of your spices and vanilla (including the ginger slices if desired) into the boiling water, give a quick stir.
Next add honey.
COOKS TIP | Spray your measuring cup with spray oil, your honey will slide right out.
Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add milk (I use whole milk, but try plant based as well), give it a stir…
Return to a boil, then remove from heat. Place fine mesh strainer over a 4-5 cup bowl, place a coffee filter (or layered cheesecloth) inside the sieve.
Slowly pour the hot chai over the sieve, depending on how fine the mesh is on your sieve, it might take awhile, gently stir the bottom and remove the large pieces and discard.
If you get impatient (as I did), gently pull back the coffee filter and allow the mixture to go through the sieve, gently rocking it back and forth. Keep doing this until you have strained all of the chai.
Refrigerate any unused portion until ready to use. When ready, pour out desired amount and warm on stove top or my favorite way is to place in a frother and heat until silky smooth, with a lovely head of frothed milk.
Serve with one of my favorite cookies or quickbreads! You might also enjoy this calming, soothing, sleep inducing Turmeric Tea – Golden Milk, so delicious! What do you like to drink on a chilly day? Please comment below!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
- 3 Darjeeling Blend tea bags
- 2 cups water
- 4-1½ inch slices fresh ginger (using a vegetable peeler) this is optional, will be a sharper bite.
- 1-2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 1-6 inch vanilla bean, cut into 1 inch pieces (or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 heaping tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cups milk
- Bring two cups water to a gentle boil, toss in tea bags. Pour all of the spices, ginger, vanilla bean and sugar into a bowl and toss into boiling mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add milk and return to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Placing a coffee filter or layered cheesecloth in a fine mesh sieve, slowly pour the hot chai over the filter, straining out all of the debris. It takes a bit with the filter, using a spoon you may have to gently move the spices to the side to allow the chai to strain.
- Serve immediately in a mug, or cold over ice.
- To rewarm, place in frother to heat and froth or warm on stovetop. Refrigerate any leftovers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Coffee Mug, Coffee Glass, Set of 4 (12oz, 350ml), Double Wall Glass
- ELITEA Clear Glass Milk Tea Serving Pitcher Cream Pitcher Mug 200ml / 7 fl.oz for Tea
- Capresso 204.04 frothPLUS Automatic Milk Frother and Hot Chocolate Maker
- Eddington 50002 Italian Olive Wood Cooking Spoon,
- Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
- Madagascar Vanilla Beans by Slofoodgroup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc.