Hot Buttered Rum
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hot Buttered Rum is a soul warming winter cocktail! Rich and buttery, this delicious batter with butter, sugar, ice cream, nutmeg, and cinnamon is a classic American drink.
On a chilly night, you won’t be sorry you have this batter on hand. Combine some batter with your favorite rum and top with boiling water or go alcohol free and use hot cider.
I enjoy giving precise details in my recipe posts to lead my readers through any questions. If you’re just here for the printable recipe, feel free to click “Jump to Recipe” right under the title of this post, and you’ll head straight there!
What is Hot Buttered Rum?
Hot buttered rum is a mixed drink containing rum, butter, hot water (or cider), sugar and warm spices (typically cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves).
It has a revered history in the United States, dating back to colonial days. Just like today, many families had their own unique recipes.
This recipe comes to you from an old Jackson Hole cookbook I’ve had for awhile, now out of print.
The original recipe made a ton, enough for an entire ski season, I halved the recipe, but it will easily double if you need to warm an army this winter!
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum Batter
Instead of making these drinks individually, we will make a batter that hangs out in the freezer, just waiting for a chilly day when you need something to warm you from the inside out.
If you enjoy Apres-ski drinks, try these others: for hot beverages, try my easy Chai Latte, Traditional Irish Coffee, white hot chocolate, and this Medicine Ball Tea.
Simple Ingredients for Hot Buttered Rum
Ingredients, directions and nutritional information in the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
- Butter | salted or unsalted, room temp (I typically use salted butter in my recipes)
- Powdered sugar | Adding a touch of sweetness
- Light brown sugar | lightly packed
- Nutmeg | fresh grated is amazing!
- Ground Cinnamon
- Cloves | these are optional, but I love their warm flavor!
- Vanilla ice cream | slightly softened, use a quality vanilla ice cream
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer), whip butter, sugars and spices together until creamy and light.
Add softened ice cream and blend until smooth (though there might be some lumps, that’s ok).
Place batter in lidded freezer container and freeze. Freeze up to 3 months (or longer).
Assembling a Classic American Cocktail
- Spoon a tablespoon of butter batter (say that 3 times fast) into a mug
- Pour in 1-1 ½ ounces of dark rum
- Fill mug with hot water (or hot cider), stirring gently to mix batter. If desired, top with a dollop of whipped cream
Non-Alcoholic Hot Buttered Apple Cider
I guess it would no longer be called a hot buttered rum, but instead we could call it a hot buttered cider, perhaps.
If omitting the rum, replace the hot water instead with hot apple cider to give it a bit more depth. Equally delicious and non-alcoholic!
A terrific drink for celebrating the holidays, an apres ski or skating drink, or anytime you need a drink to warm you from the inside out.
Hot Buttered Rum Batter Makes a Great Gift
This traditional hot buttered rum recipe batter makes a great Christmas, Valentine’s, and neighbor gift.
Place a portion of the batter in a plastic or glass container, tie it with ribbon or string, a couple of small bottles of rum, and the instructions to make a Hot Buttered Rum; you might print out one of these cute Christmas Gift Tags to go with it!
- Kitchenaid Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer and bowl
- A good sturdy spatula and ice cream spade (also great for Mile High Mud Pie)
- Freezer Storage Container
- Copper Mugs or Coffee Mugs
Host an apres skating party (or skiing, sledding, snowman making), invite some friends over, start a roaring fire, and make everyone a warm Hot Buttered Rum and serve with some chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Hot Buttered Rum
Hot Buttered Rum Batter
- 2 sticks real butter, salted or unsalted, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, optional
- ½ quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
Hot Buttered Rum
- 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons butter batter
- 1-1 ½ ounces dark rum, omit for non-alcoholic version
- Hot Water, or substitute with Hot Cider
- Optional Whipped Cream to top
- Fresh Nutmeg or Cinnamon sprinkled on top
- Buttered Rum Batter
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer), whip butter, sugars and spices together until creamy and light, scraping down sides occasionally, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add softened ice cream and blend until smooth (though there might be some chunks), scrape sides and bottom and mix until smooth. Place batter in container with lid and freeze.
- Freeze batter up to 3 months (probably fine longer).
- ASSEMBLE HOT BUTTERED RUM
- Boil water. Place tablespoon of butter batter into heat safe mug. Pour in dark rum and top off with hot water. If desired, top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Try using hot cider and if non-alcoholic version is desired, omit rum and make with hot cider.
The Fresh Cooky is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.
This came to together very quickly and is delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!!!
Love hearing that Julie! Thank you so much!
This sounds amazing, Kathleen. I am wondering if the batter could be made, and adding the rum, freeze the whole thing, needing only the boiling water to finish it when ready to serve.
Hi Paula, I have never tried that before. Since alcohol doesn’t freeze, I’m not sure how it would mix. I might suggest that you pull a small amount out, mix in the rum and do a test batch with it freezing. Let me know how it works if you try it!
We are getting a cold snap this weekend and this is going on the must haves! It’s a delectable treat!
Definitely making two batches. One for now and one for freezer!
LOL! You won’t be disappointed!!
I had no idea how hot buttered rum was made until now. I love that this can be stashed in the freezer for anytime or to impress friends that happen to swing by! lol
Its been so cold here that we had a winter wonderland party —- made the hot buttered rum to serve and everyone LOVED it! A definite KEEPER!!
This drink is so comforting! I need to make another batch asap!
This recipe is like a big ole hug from the inside out. I love it!
I love this drink. And I have everything to make it except the whipped cream. Making it today. Thanks
YAY! I hope you love it, heck, I’d just add another scoop of the batter if I didn’t have whipped cream! LOL!
It’s been so chilly here lately and I could definitely use a warming up from the inside! I love that this is stored in the freezer. Pinned! Thanks for a great recipe Kathleen.
Thanks Tasia! Me too, ready anytime you feel the need to warm up!!