As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make this gorgeous, layered Blueberry Gin Cocktail or as I like to call it, Blueberry Gin Gin Fizz. Made with a layer of homemade blueberry syrup on the bottom, spicy ginger beer in the middle and topped with this beautiful gin. Easy steps to create this lovely ombré layered look by a simple “float” process.
Nothing says welcome summer like this layered red, white and blue cocktail, a beautiful Patriotic and might I say tasty cocktail for your summer entertaining. I’ve dubbed it the Blueberry Gin Gin Fizz!
This beautiful red, white and blue berry gin cocktail drink is so simple to make!
- Blueberry Simple Syrup | make this simple syrup ahead of time and keep in the fridge for fabulous drinks all week long!
- Mint | I love the taste of mint in this blueberry cocktail, brightens it up nicely.
- Ginger Beer| I used a delicious spicy, Ginger Beer (non-alcoholic), but you can also use regular Ginger Ale, Club Soda, Tonic Water, or sparkling water; it will alter the sweetness depending on what you decide to use.
- Lemon | Just a squeeze, adds a lovely citrus brightness to the drink
- Gin | I used Empress Gin which is an all-natural, gluten free gin, infused with butterfly pea blossoms giving it this gorgeous purple-blue color. You may of course use any gin.
- Garnish | Skewer fresh blueberries onto a pretty cocktail stick and freeze or use fresh. Add a twist of lemon and or a sprig of mint makes a beautiful garnish for this cocktail.
How to Make a Blueberry Cocktail
Once you make the blueberry syrup, this blueberry gin cocktail comes together really quickly!
- Place 3-4 mint leaves in the bottom of an old-fashioned glass
- Pour 2 oz Blueberry syrup over the mint and muddle gently with muddler, or use end of a wooden spoon.
- Squeeze in 1/8 of a lemon, or to taste.
- Fill the glass with cubed or crushed ice (I like crushed in my cocktails, so crushed some in my blender).
- Lay a spoon upside down on top of the ice and slowly pour a few ounces of the ginger beer (or mixer) to float it on top of the blueberry syrup mixture.
- Slowly pour the gin over the back of the same spoon, floating it on top of the other two layers.
- Garnish with blueberries, lemon twist and mint sprig if desired. Stir before sipping.
How to Float Liquor in a Drink
Learn this bar-tending secret in seconds learning this simple and easy method of floating, or creating a layered cocktail.
- Start with the heaviest layer of liquid first, I’ve taken the guess work out of the order for you. The Blueberry Simple Syrup is your heaviest layer, which is why we start with that on the bottom.
- Next we add ice, because we want it nice and chilled, we will do the mixer layer next.
- The easiest way to describe how to float layers of liquor or in this case, three different liquids is by going slow and using the back of a spoon. Any spoon will work, but I used a bit larger spoon in this drink.
- By pouring the liquid over the back of a spoon, this slows the dispersion of the liquid, allowing it to “float” on top of the previous layer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely, any gin will work great in this recipe, but of course you will not get the color definition as with the blue purple Empress Gin.
If you do not want to take the time to make your own blueberry syrup, you may replace it with Grenadine syrup, this will still yield that gorgeous red color on the bottom, but of course would make it no longer a blueberry gin cocktail.
I always say yes, because some folks just don’t drink alcohol and I get it! This cocktail will be a little harder to emulate without the gin, however these are my thoughts on a mocktail. Use the blueberry syrup on the bottom, maybe 3 oz instead of 2 oz. Use your favorite mixer or even a good lemonade for the middle and top with a blue soda or sports drink, if you want to stick with a red, white and blue look!
How to Rim the Glass in Lemon Sugar
If you want the look with the lemon sugared rim for the blueberry gin fizz, then follow these simple instructions.
- Place a few tablespoons of sugar (I used all-natural cane sugar) and 1 teaspoon of lemon or lime zest.
- Rub the zest and sugar together gently with your fingers to flavor the sugar.
- Using a wedge of lemon or lime, rub around the rim of glass (and down the side if you want the look above). Then roll the glass in the lemon sugar and turn upside down to rim the glass.
More Easy Cocktail & Drink Recipes.
If you like this Blueberry Gin Fizz, you will almost be guaranteed to enjoy these cocktails and drink recipes.
- Strawberry Gin Cocktail
- Hibiscus Dark & Stormy Cocktail
- Cranberry Bourbon Sour
- Tangerine & Thyme Gin & Tonic
- Cucumber Cooler
- Healthy Hibiscus Margarita
- 4 ingredient Margarita (on the rocks or frozen)
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make this Blueberry Gin Fizz cocktail and will browse through my cocktail archives.
More Patriotic Recipes
Make for Memorial Day, 4th of July or Labor day or just a summer sip. You might enjoy these other red, white and blue Patriotic recipes!
- Patriotic “No Churn” Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Red, White & Blue Patriotic Recipes
- Red, White and Blueberry Yogurt Parfaits
- No Bake Lemon Icebox Pie Recipe
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!