Anyone can make these festive Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. Creamy, cool ice cream, sandwiched between two delicious, chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, dipped in sprinkles no less — the very essence of summertime!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
These Ice Cream Sandwiches are perfect for any patriotic celebration, like the 4th of July! I LOVE the 4th!
Our neighborhood is kind of renowned for its 4th of July celebration. The day begins with our National Anthem sung by a group of neighborhood kids, it’s fantastic. That blasts off the festivities for the day; Fun Run, Sparkler Tricycle Race, finishing the morning with our very own parade, it’s pretty amazing.
We head up to the pool for a community BBQ; with lawn games, a band, boat races, penny dive and of course a belly flop contest.
COOLING OFF AFTER A HOT 4TH OF JULY
We’re usually exhausted from our fun-filled, patriotic, sun-kissed day that we drag ourselves home, take a cool shower, watch Independence Day, forage for something to eat, then head to a friends house for fireworks and drinks. It’s fantabulous…I don’t take our freedoms for granted!
These creamy Ice Cream Sandwiches will cool down the hottest patriotic participant!
May God bless America!
Tips for the chewiest-yummiest-cutest Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- Any chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich worth its salt (yes, I put sea salt on my cookies) starts with the BEST and CHEWIEST Chocolate Chip Cookie! You can use a store bought cookie…but why would you??? And if you can’t face turning your oven on, try these Edible Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookies instead!
- FREEZE YOUR COOKIES | Once your chocolate chip cookies have cooled completely, pop them into the freezer until they are frozen, about 20 minutes.
Why, you ask? You don’t want your cookies to turn into crumbs or mush when you press the two cookies together sandwiching the ice cream; freezing them provides structure and hardens the chocolate.
- SOFTEN your ice cream by allowing it to sit on the counter* for about 10 minutes, making sure your cookies will be nice and frozen by the time the ice-cream is soft.*If you are in a hurry, you may zap it in the microwave in 10-15 second intervals, checking after each interval, until it’s just soft enough to scoop, you don’t want it soupy!
- ICE CREAM | Make sure it’s the highest quality, creamiest ice cream you can afford (which might mean going to your local grocery store and buying what’s on sale!). For me that means Alden’s Organic Vanilla Bean or Trader Joe’s® French Vanilla. Any flavor works!
- PREP | Place your sprinkles into shallow bowl(s) or I like to use a sturdy cupcake liner to hold the sprinkles, then once you are finished rolling your sandwiches in sprinkles, what little mess there is just gets tossed! Now you are ready to assemble.
- ASSEMBLE | Place a generous scoop of ice cream on the bottom of your cookie, match it up with a similarly sized cookie and gently roll ice cream edges in sprinkles. Set on cookie sheet and repeat process. Be quick about it!
- FREEZE | If doing more than 4 at a time, take them to the freezer in batches of 4 so they don’t melt. Freeze for 20 minutes and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap for easy serving and storing.
That’s it! You will brighten anyone’s day by offering them a cool, creamy Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich!
⭐️⭐️ JOIN THE FRESH COOKY RECIPE CLUB! ⭐️⭐️
NEW DELICIOUS RECIPES WEEKLY!
There are so many sprinkle options out there! I found that jimmies & confetti work really well, as do mini chocolate chips. I tried Mini M&M’s which tasted great, but the colors ran all over the ice cream, next time I’ll freeze the candies beforehand.
Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookies
Want to kick them up one more notch?? To make these extra decadent, dip one half in melted chocolate (follow the instructions on your package of melting wafers or Chocolate Chips), then sprinkle on your favorite sprinkles!
Told ya I kicked it up a notch, your family and friends are worth it! Serve immediately or return to the freezer (wrapped once solid) until ready to eat. Grab a fork and share…or not!
Try using other cookies for the sandwiches as well:
- Brownie Sandwich Cookies with Cookie Dough Frosting (omit frosting…or not, I like crazy!)
- Lemon Shortbread Sandwich Cookies (same as above, try using lemon ice cream or vanilla ice with a little lemon zest and lemon juice mixed in)
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Or give these recipes a try:
⭐️⭐️ JOIN THE FRESH COOKY RECIPE CLUB! ⭐️⭐️
NEW DELICIOUS RECIPES WEEKLY!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
Creamy ice cream sandwiched between two amazing chocolate chip cookies, rolled in brightly covered sprinkles! The essence of summer in a handheld treat.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (the real deal, no substitutes)
- ⅔ cup sugar (I use, organic raw sugar) [¾ cup if not high altitude]
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed [¾ cup if not high altitude]
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups flour [2 cups if not high altitude]
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp water [omit, if not high altitude]
- 1 cup chocolate chips (use a good quality chocolate chip)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup chocolate chunks
- Flaky Sea Salt for sprinkling on top of baked cookies (optional) I love Maldon Flaky Sea Salt
Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1/2 Gallon good quality vanilla ice-cream (or your favorite ice cream)
- Sprinkles, Confetti, Jimmies, Mini Chocolate Chips
Directions for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a bowl of a stand mixer, cream softened butter in mixer, 2-3 minutes on medium-high until light and fluffy, scrape down edges of bowl. Add sugars, beating on medium-high for 2-4 minutes, scraping sides. Beat 4 minutes if using natural cane sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, cream on medium-high 1 minute per egg. Add vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt until combined. With mixer on low, slowly add ½ cup of flour mixture alternating with water (high altitude only. Add chocolate chips, minis and chunks, hand stir or on low the chips into dough. Don’t over mix.
- Scoop dough using a 2-tablespoon scoop (slightly larger than a walnut) onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Refrigerate 10 minutes, then bake 8-10 minutes until just set and slightly golden. Cool on pan 2-3 minutes, remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- I recommend that you only make 18 cookies for ice cream sandwiches, yielding 9 sandwiches. If you choose to make all 18 you will probably need more ice-cream and sprinkles.
- Follow the Dough Freezing instructions on my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for making cookies later or bake them all at once & enjoy cookies and sandwiches, but keeping both frozen until ready to eat.
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches
Tips to assuring you achieve the chewiest-yummiest-cutest ice cream sandwiches!
- FREEZE YOUR COOKIES | Once your chocolate chip cookies have cooled completely, pop them into the freezer until they are frozen, about 20 minutes. WHY? You don't want your cookies to turn into crumbs or mush when you press the two cookies together sandwiching the ice cream, freezing them provides structure and hardens the chocolate.
- SOFTEN your ice cream by allowing it to sit on the counter* for about 10 minutes, making sure your cookies will be nice and frozen by the time the ice-cream is soft. *If you are in a hurry, you may zap it in the microwave in 10-15 second intervals until it's soft enough to scoop, but not soupy!
- ICE CREAM! Make sure it's the highest quality, creamiest ice cream you can easily buy (which might mean going to your local grocery store and buying what's on sale!). For me that means either Häagen-Dazs® Vanilla Bean or Trader Joe's® French Vanilla, or make homemade vanilla (recipe coming soon) and you'll hit it out of the park! Choose your favorite flavor.
- PREP! Place your sprinkles into shallow bowl(s) or a sturdy cupcake liner to hold the sprinkles, once you finish rolling them in sprinkles, just toss the cupcake liners.
- ASSEMBLE | Place a generous scoop of ice cream on the bottom of your cookie, match it with a similar sized cookie, press down gently, squeezing the ice cream just to the edges. If too soft, just scrape off the excess that squeezes out before rolling in sprinkles.
- Carefully roll ice cream edges in sprinkles. Set on cookie sheet and work quickly repeating the process.
- FREEZE | If doing more than 4 at a time, take them to the freezer in batches of 4, so they don't melt. Freeze for 20 minutes and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap, store in the freezer.
- That's it! You will brighten anyones day by offering them a cool, creamy ice cream sandwich with sprinkles no less!
- To make these extra decadent and festive, dip one half of the sandwich in melted chocolate (follow the instructions on your package of Ghirardelli Melting Chocolate or Chocolate Chips), then dip again in sprinkles, m&ms' or crushed nuts.
Try different sprinkles, jimmies, confetti, mini chocolate chips and even mini M&M's (careful, the color tends to run).
You do not need to make 18 sandwiches! In fact, I recommend you make 18 cookies - 9 sandwiches (more or less) and freeze the rest of your dough for cookies to munch on or for another round of ice cream sandwiches at a later date. Dough freezing tips on my Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Try different ice cream flavors, vanilla is my favorite, but use your favorite!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 748Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 722mgCarbohydrates: 108gFiber: 5gSugar: 73gProtein: 12g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc. Nutritional information will change based on used ingredients, quantities used, etc.
Be part of the Recipe Club!
You have Successfully Subscribed!