Toss out that store bought sweet and sour cocktail mixer; this flavorful recipe for a Maple Whiskey Sour is amazingly simple and delicious, with the sweet, earthy addition of maple syrup it adds a brilliant fall taste.
With just a few simple ingredients you’ll be enjoying this fall to winter classic cocktail in no time at all!
My husband and I have found a new appreciation for whisky/bourbon/rye, I cannot tell you the differences, but I have to say, I kind of like the stuff, not neat (by itself), but in a cocktail, like this Maple Whiskey Sour.
I cannot drink more than one…which is just fine, I don’t need the headache nor calories for that matter!
The makes one drink and I think they are better individually made, that way you can customize them if someone likes it sweeter or more sour.
However; if you think everyone would like it just like you do, by all means double, triple or quadruple the recipe! Just make sure you have a mason jar big enough.
This post is for 21+ adults ~ please drink responsibly.
Start with a mason jar with a lid and fill it ⅔ full with ice. Use a cocktail shaker, if you prefer.
Honestly, it’s just as easy in a mason jar, if not easier, maybe it doesn’t look as cool. I don’t really care.
Key Ingredients for Maple Whiskey Sour
- Bourbon or Whiskey | Use your favorite!
- Lemon Juice | Fresh squeezed is a must here, this recipe is super simple, so make it count!
- Maple Syrup | I love using bourbon barrel aged maple syrup, you can purchase at Costco, Trader Joes, and many grocery stores now. So good! You can use regular too.
- Cinnamon | Optional, but adds that fall flavor!
You do not need to use a specialty syrup, any pure maple syrup will work, however.
How to Make a Whiskey Sour
Start by pouring your bourbon or whiskey of choice into your ice filled mason shaker jar.
Next add your lemon juice (a little less if you don’t like it too sour, but try it this way first). By the way, I use this small measuring cup ALL the time!
Then add your maple syrup, to taste, between 2-4 teaspoons. I like it at a little over 3 teaspoons.
If desired, add a small shake/pinch of cinnamon, totally optional though.
Now place the lid tightly on top and shake it for 30 seconds or so, I like to shake it a bit longer, as I like some of the ice to melt into the drink, both cooling and diluting it a bit more.
Remove the ring from the mason jar and use the flat top as a strainer and pour the Maple Whiskey Sour over fresh ice in a small glass.
Garnish with a cinnamon stick and lemon peel garnish, again totally optional. Sit in front of a fire, or on a porch swing on a cool fall evening, sip and enjoy this lovely drink!
Make it super fall-y and add a teaspoon or tablespoon of apple butter!
More great cocktails
- Blueberry Gin Cocktail
- Hibiscus Dark and Stormy Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Punch
- Grapefruit Basil Vodka Smash
- Pink Lemonade Vodka Cocktail
- Blood Orange Tangerine & Thyme Gin & Tonic
- Cherry Bomb Cocktail
What’s your favorite Fall Cocktail? Comment below!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and leave a comment below the recipe!
Maple Whisky Sour
Click stars to rate now!Print Pin Save Rate
- 1 – ½ ounces bourbon or whiskey of choice
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 -4 teaspoons maple syrup pure (I used slightly more than 3 teaspoons but not quite 4)
- Shake of ground cinnamon optional
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and slice of lemon optional
- If the drink is too strong or you’d like to extend it splash in some club soda or your favorite mixer.
- Fill a mason jar with ice, about ⅔ full. Pour in the bourbon, lemon juice, maple syrup and pinch of ground cinnamon (optional).
- Place lid and top securely on mason jar, shake for 30 seconds or so until well mixed.
- Remove the ring from the mason jar and using the lid, strain out the ice and pour over fresh ice into small glass.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and lemon peel if desired.