Get a load of how easy these Summertime Shish Kebabs are to whip up, the only catch, you need to start them ahead of time, but that is what makes entertaining so easy, make ahead items! Best to let them hang out in the marinade 4-6 hours (or more) for the best flavor.
I’ve always called them shish kaBOBs, not keBABs and yet a little googling set me straight.
Shish Kebab, funny couple of words, so it got me thinking (dangerous I know), what in the world is a kebab and who shished them? The word kebab literally means “to roast.” It’s apparently of Turkish origin and shish kebab means: “gobbets of meat roasted on a spit or skewers.” So there you have it, enjoy your gobbets of meat roasted on skewers!
I received this recipe from a girlfriend (Thanks Natalie!) during our MOPS days; our kids are no longer preschoolers, heck they’re in high school now, but we still see one another and love sharing great recipes. If I remember right, the recipe might be from one of the Colorado Jr. League cookbooks, they are just the best in case you’ve never bought one.
Making the Meat Marinade
Remember to start your marinade at least 4 hours in advance, preferably 6 hours or more of your planned eating time, or overnight works too.
Pour your oil into a large mixing bowl, then gather your soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard, add to the oil.
Smash your garlic and rough chop it, toss in marinade…squeeze your lemons for your juice and pour into marinade. Whisk your marinade well, until combined. Set aside.
Cut your steak and/or chicken into cubes, about 1 ½ inches each. If doing both types of meat, place into separate containers; pour marinade evenly over the meat making sure it swims in marinade.
Stir it around a bit, making sure all pieces are covered well. Cover and place in fridge for 4-6 hours at minimum. I love these stackable dishes, they go from fridge to oven.
HOW AND WHAT TO PUT ON YOUR SKEWERS
When you are ready to skewer up the kebabs, add your toppings, here are a few ideas:
- Pineapple, ever had grilled pineapple? the flavors are so divine
- Mini peppers, quick to slice in half
- Sweet onion chunks a must, even if you don’t eat them they impart great flavor
- Mushrooms, I’m not a fan, but others love them
- Tomatoes, but be sure to put on big cherry tomatoes
- Zucchini or summer squash, delicious grilled
Phew, it’s like a Farmer’s Market on a stick!
Start skewering the kebabs, alternating, veggies and meat. I have always started with an onion chunk first, feels like it kind of holds everything together.
If desired, allow people to customize their skewer by asking what they would like and alternate colors and meats for a well balanced kabob, eh kebab. RESERVE MARINADE for basting.
TIPS FOR GRILLING SHISH KEBABS
Grill on medium heat for about 5 minutes per side, turning so that they brown evenly.
Baste with reserved marinade as you turn them.
CAUTION | Remember the metal skewers get hot! Use tongs or an oven mit, because if you are like me, even though they are on a stinking hot grill, I think I can just reach in and turn them, not!
Remove from grill and allow to rest for a minute, covered in foil.
Enjoy your “gobbets” of meat! I might have to rename them, I’m just getting tickled over that word, GOBBETS.
These would be lovely served with a rice pilaf or brown rice and a simple Caprese salad, with a side of ripe and juicy watermelon.
PAIR WITH AN EASY CAPRESE SALAD
For the easy Caprese salad; slice (my favorite knife) a nice beefy tomato, alternating it with slices of fresh, creamy mozzarella, drizzle with olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Chiffonade some fresh basil and sprinkle all over, grind some fresh sea salt and if desired fresh ground pepper.
I was making sure I spelled Caprese correctly and read that it was originally made to resemble the colors of the Italian flag! Kebabs and Caprese a Mediterranean feast!
Try these dishes to compliment this meal:
- Bacon Balsamic Macaroni Salad
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Salad
- Asian Ramen Noodle Salad (All Natural)
- Hibiscus Mojito | A Summer Cocktail
- Easy Tomato Bruschetta
I’d love it if you enjoy this recipe if you’d comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card.
Hashtag any recipes you make from The Fresh Cooky #thefreshcooky or tag me @thefreshcooky
on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed and rough chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil, I used Avocado oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce (I prefer Bragg's or Tamari)
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce (I like Annie's natural)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 5 lbs sirloin or New York Strip steak (or mix and match half chicken, half beef)
- 1-2 sweet onions, such as Walla-Walla or Vidalia (any onion will work, even red onions)
- 1 bag mini peppers, variety of colors, split in half or 1 each red, yellow, orange
- 1 lb or box of mushrooms of choice (optional)
- ½ fresh pineapple, cut into large chunks
- 1-2 zucchini or summer squash, sliced 1/2 in discs
- 1 large beefy tomato, sliced thick
- 1 round of creamy, fresh mozzarella, sliced same as tomato
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh Basil, chopped
- Fresh Sea salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients, set aside. Cut beef and/or chicken into 1 ½ inch cubes and place in shallow dish or container (keeping meats separate). Pour marinade over meat(s) and stir to coat all sides. Marinate in refrigerator 4-6 hours, or overnight. Stirring occasionally.
- Prepare veggies & pineapple for skewers, by cutting into large chunks. Remove stems from mushrooms. Once meat has marinated required amount of time, assemble kabobs by placing what each guest would like on their kabob, alternating colors and meat(s). Reserve marinade for basting.
- Grill over medium high eat 4-5 minutes per side, turning and basting with reserved marinade. Remove from grill and cover with foil, allowing to sit just 1-2 minutes.
- Slice tomato into thick slices. Slice mozzarella into similar sized slices as tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Chop fresh basil and sprinkle over tops of tomatoes/cheese. Grind fresh sea salt (and pepper) over it all, serve room temp
- Suggested pairings: Caprese salad, pasta salad, rice pilaf or brown rice. Add color to your table with chunks of fresh watermelon.
- Pyrex 1102267 885459426300 Portables Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (Black Carrier, 9-Piece Double Decker, BPA-Free)
- Grillaholics BBQ Grill Tools Set - 4-Piece Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Barbecue Grilling Utensils - Premium Grill Accessories for Barbecue - Spatula, Tongs, Fork, and Basting Brush
- BearMoo Kabob Skewers 17" Stainless Steel BBQ Barbecue Skewers 7/20" Flat Metal Grilling Skewers Set, Reusable BBQ Sticks (Set of 10 +1 X Handy Storage)
- Wusthof WU4182 4182 Santoku knife 5" Black
- Anchor Hocking 2 Quart Glass Batter Bowl With Lid (81106L11)
- Chef'n FreshForce Citrus Juicer (Lime)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
LOVE WHOLESOME DELICIOUS RECIPES? COME FOLLOW ALONG!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #TheFreshCooky so we can see it.
We might feature it on Instagram!
I am so tickled when I see you’ve made one of my recipes!
GET FREE RECIPES FROM THE FRESH COOKY DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!