Easy Authentic Mexican Chicken Fajitas (Fajitas de Pollo)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Authentic Mexican Chicken Fajita Recipe is packed with delicious Mexican-inspired flavors and perfectly sauteed! I can already hear the bell peppers, onions, and tender marinated chicken sizzling in the pan just before being served nice and hot!
Picture it; the waiter brings out a sizzling and steaming skillet of freshly sauteed and almost-charred veggies and meat, accompanied by an array of toppings and tortillas to enjoy this delicious dish better. But this time, you are the hero, making this easy weeknight dinner!
I enjoy giving precise details in my recipe posts to lead my readers through any questions. If you’re just here for the printable recipe, feel free to click “Jump to Recipe” right under the title of this post, and you’ll head straight there!
Why You Will Love This Recipe for Authentic Chicken Fajitas
- Restaurant-Style – Make this easy dinner at home!
- Easy – All you need to do is marinate, chop, slice, and saute to make this tasty meal.
- Flavor-Full – The Mexican flavors in the chicken marinade are the perfect amount of savory, citrus, and spice.
Key Ingredients for Authentic Mexican Chicken Fajita Recipe
Ingredients, directions and nutritional information in the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
Chicken Fajita Marinade Ingredients
- Chicken Fajita Marinade: The marinade is key to the flavor of the chicken in this recipe, so be sure to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours, for maximum flavor.
- Lime Juice and Zest: Fresh lime juice and zest add a bright, citrusy flavor to the marinade. Be sure to zest the limes before juicing them.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic adds a pungent, savory flavor to the marinade. Mince the garlic with a knife, or use a garlic press to save time. Fresh is best, but use garlic powder if you must.
- Spices: The combination of oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, cinnamon, ancho chili powder, and salt give the marinade a complex, smoky, and slightly spicy flavor. You can adjust the amount of chili powder to your taste, or substitute regular chili powder if you can’t find ancho chili powder.
- Chicken: Chicken breast is a lean and flavorful choice for fajitas. Cut the chicken into thin strips for even cooking. You can certainly use chicken thighs as well.
- Onions and Peppers: Thinly sliced onions and peppers add texture, color, and flavor to the fajitas. Use a mix of sweet and spicy peppers for a well-rounded flavor.
- Oil: Use a high-heat oil like avocado oil or vegetable oil to cook the chicken, onions, and peppers in the pan. Divide the oil evenly among the chicken and vegetables for even cooking.
Toppings for Authentic Mexican Chicken Fajita Recipe
Here are some suggested toppings for Fajitas de pollo:
- Guacamole: A creamy and flavorful addition to your fajitas, guacamole is a classic Mexican condiment made with mashed avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and spices.
- Pico de Gallo or Salsa: Fresh and vibrant, pico de gallo or salsa is a tomato-based condiment that adds flavor to your fajitas. Make your own by combining chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- Spanish Rice: Also known as Mexican rice, Spanish rice is a flavorful side dish made with long-grain rice, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, and spices like cumin and chili powder.
- Refried Beans: A staple in Mexican cuisine, refried beans are made by cooking pinto or black beans with onion, garlic, and spices, then mashing them and frying them in oil. They’re a creamy and hearty addition to your fajitas.
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema: A cool and tangy topping, sour cream or Mexican crema balances out the heat of the fajitas. Mexican crema is a thinner and slightly sweeter version of sour cream commonly used in Mexican cuisine.
- Shredded Lettuce: Fresh and crunchy, shredded lettuce adds texture and a healthy element to your fajitas.
- Grated Cheese: A classic topping for fajitas, grated cheese adds richness and flavor to your dish. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend of Mexican cheeses are all great options.
- Flour or Corn Tortillas: The perfect vessel for your fajitas, warm flour or corn tortillas are a must-have. Toast them in a dry skillet or on a griddle for added flavor.
Mix and match your favorite toppings to create your own perfect plate of Authentic Chicken Fajitas. Enjoy!
Easy & Quick Pico de Gallo Recipe
Mix the tomatoes, onion, and salt, then let it sit while you make the rest of the fajitas.
- 2-3 Roma or similar tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1-2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Pinch of salt
How to Make the Best Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Step 1 | Fajita Chicken Marinade
Start this easy recipe by combining all the marinade ingredients until you have a thick but pourable marinade. If necessary, add a bit more lime juice to thin it out. In a large bowl or freezer baggie, add the sliced chicken and the marinade, turning until all the chicken is coated.
Next, marinate the meat for at least 30 minutes on the countertop. Place the chicken in the refrigerator if you plan on marinating it for longer. If preferred, you can marinate the chicken up to 24 hours ahead.
Step 2 | Prep fajita ingredients
While the chicken is marinating, prep the remaining vegetables by slicing the onions and peppers into thin strips.
Step 3 | Saute the veggies
In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Once hot and shimmering, carefully add the sliced onions and stir, sauteing them for 4-5 minutes until softened and starting to brown.
Next, add the sliced peppers and turn them with the onions, sauteing for 4-8 minutes more until the ingredients are soft and caramelized.
Step 4 | Saute or grill the chicken fajitas
Remove the onions and peppers to a plate and cover them with foil while you cook the chicken.
Then, add an extra tablespoon of oil to the same pan over medium-high heat. Carefully add the chicken strips, careful not to crowd the pan. You may need to work in batches, quickly stir-frying the chicken for about 5-6 minutes until chicken is cooked.
Step 5 | Combine the chicken and fajitas, then serve!
During the last minute of cooking, add the peppers and onions back into the pan, using tongs to turn and rotate the fajitas until they are combined with the chicken and heated through. Then, serve sizzling hot!
If you want restaurant-style sizzling and slightly charred fajitas, place the cast iron pan into your oven on its highest heat setting. Very carefully, add the hot fajitas to the hot pan and watch (and hear them) sizzle when you’re ready to serve this delicious dish! Serve with warm tortillas and more of your favorite toppings!
- Use a large cast iron skillet or another heavy skillet.
- If you like your veggies crisper, stay on the low end of the time. I like mine softer and more caramelized, so I cook them longer. But there is no right or wrong way!
- When retrieving the hot skillet from the oven, use a pot holder or special heat gloves to protect yourself from the high heat.
Are you a sucker for authentic Mexican flavors? I have all kinds of Mexican-inspired dishes like this Hatch Green Chile Relleno Casserole made with fresh chiles and stuffed with Monterey Jack cheese or this fan-favorite Queso Cheese Dip Recipe made with all-natural ingredients and warm Mexican spices.
These Mexican Barbacoa Tacos are also a hit! It’s a healthier take on the traditional tender and tangy street tacos. If you enjoy Mexican food, try my super-easy Tamale Pie with a crisp cornmeal crust and a cheesy and beefy filling.
Variations & Substitutions
Vegetarian Fajitas: Make vegetarian fajitas with meaty portabella mushrooms, pinto or black beans, tofu, or a plant-based meat alternative. You may also want to increase the vegetables or add variety, like yellow and zucchini squash or broccoli.
Swap or Add Protein: Serve a variety of meats or swap the chicken for shrimp or beef. If you’re making a combination, marinate each in separate containers. Remember only to saute shrimp until it becomes opaque.
Spicy Fajitas: Sprinkle some cayenne pepper into the marinade for a little kick of heat, and add some chopped fresh jalapeño when sauteing the peppers.
Chicken Fajita Salad: Serve this recipe over a bed of lettuce or mixed greens to make it a refreshing and flavorful salad. You can even serve it over rice for homemade fajitas burrito bowls.
Tips for Two
The recipe is great for leftovers and can be easily reheated. To adjust the serving size, use the button on the recipe card to halve or reduce the measurements by one-third for a two-person serving.
Don’t let any of your fajitas go to waste, and enjoy them again with these simple storage tips!
Fridge | Got leftovers from your amazing Authentic Chicken Fajitas because they are easy to store and reheat. Just pop them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, you can use the microwave or skillet on medium heat.
Freezing | If you have a lot of leftovers, freezing them is also an option. Cool them to room temperature and store them in a freezer-safe container for 2-3 months. When you’re ready to eat them, thaw them overnight in the fridge and reheat them the same way.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! A very flavorful and healthy meal, with just a little bit of oil these are full of protein and veggies!
Yes, you can cook the chicken and vegetables on a hibachi-style griddle over medium-high heat until cooked through.
You can make the marinade ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Yes, you can use tofu or vegetables instead of chicken and skip the cheese and sour cream toppings to make vegan fajitas.
Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C). Alternatively, you can cut into the thickest part of the chicken to make sure it is no longer pink, and the juices run clear.
How can I prevent the vegetables from becoming too mushy?
Avoid mushy veggies in your authentic Mexican chicken fajita recipe by cooking the vegetables until they are tender and slightly charred, and be careful not to overcook them.
Can you use taco seasoning for fajitas?
Sure! Mix your favorite taco seasoning with vegetable oil and brush it on the meat and veggies before grilling or sauteing on the stovetop for a simple and easier take on this dish. But truly, this is so much better and fresh and has no additives!
What to serve with Fajitas de Pollo
A meal in themselves, chicken fajitas are complimented with traditional Mexican rice and beans. And let’s not forget the classic margarita or a watermelon slush!
Best Side Dishes for Restaurant-Style Chicken Fajitas
Serve this flavorful meal with a side of crisp and salty tortilla chips and a delicious cheesy dip to share, like this 3 Ingredient Chili Cheese Dip Recipe, easily made in the crock pot, or Cowboy Crack Dip served hot or cold and perfect for making ahead of time!
Best Mexican Fruit Salad Recipe
This Mexican fruit salad recipe is refreshing, and bursting with juicy and sweet fruits that will make your taste buds salsa dance! Tropical fruits paired with citrus, strawberries, and grapes in a light honey-lime Tajin dressing.
The Best Spanish Rice Recipe (Vegetarian)
Simply spiced, mild, and fluffy this vegetarian Spanish rice recipe is the perfect side dish for any Mexican dish. Vegan, gluten-free, kicked up spice options, one pan rice!
Make the veggies how you like them – Cook longer for soft caramelized onions and peppers or cook for a shorter time for more crisp and fresh veggies.
Best Desserts to Serve with these Authentic Mexican Fajita Recipe
Go all out with an ice cream bar! Serve an option of Rich Chocolate or Old-Fashioned Vanilla Bean ice cream with a delicious spread of toppings. Check out all of my desserts!
Air Fryer Fried Ice Cream Recipe
A healthier and easy air fryer fried ice cream! No deep frying in hot oil! Crunchy and crispy on the outside, smooth creamy vanilla ice cream on the inside, the best fried ice cream recipe.
Healthier Fried Ice Cream Cake
Healthier no-bake Fried Ice Cream Cake, using organic gluten free corn flakes sweetened with fruit juice, all natural vanilla ice cream, and no Cool Whip. A delicious frozen treat, that is a crunchy, creamy, cinnamon laced Mexican dessert. All of the taste without any of the fuss, no fry!
More Recipes with Delicious Marinades
- Asian Marinated Grilled Pork Tenderloin Recipe
- Maple Balsamic Chicken Breasts and Veggies
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
I hope you loved this Fajitas de Pollo – an authentic Mexican chicken fajita recipe — if you did, would you share your creation on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest? And be sure to comment below!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Authentic Chicken Fajita Recipe (Fajitas de pollo)
- STAUB Everything Pan with Glass Lid
Fajita de Pollo Marinade Ingredients
- 2-3 limes, zested and juiced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (or replace with 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½-1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, or replace with regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Chicken Fajita Ingredients
- 3-4 medium chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into ½ inch strips
- 2 large onions, I used one sweet onion and one red onion, sliced thin
- 3-4 bell peppers, I used green, red, orange, and yellow, use your favorite
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Guacamole, Pico de gallo, or salsa, Spanish rice, refried beans, sour cream or Mexican crema, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, flour or corn tortillas., Use your favorites
Make Chicken Fajita Marinade
- Combine all marinade ingredients until you have a thick, but pourable marinade, if necessary add a little more lime juice to thin out. In a large bowl or freezer baggie, add sliced chicken and the marinade, turning until all chicken is coated. Marinate at least 30 minutes (on the counter), or longer, but place in fridge. May be marinated up to 24 hours ahead of time.
Make Chicken Fajitas
- While the chicken is marinating, prep the remaining vegetables and even start cooking. Slice the onions and peppers into thin strips.
- In a large skillet (cast iron or similar works best) heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot and shimmering, carefully add the sliced onions and stir, sauteing for 4-5 minutes until softened and just starting to brown.
- Add sliced peppers and turn them with the onions, sauteing 4-8 minutes until soft and caramelized. If you like your veggies crisper, stay on the low end of the time, I like mine softer and more caramelized, so I cook them for longer. There is no right or wrong way.Remove to a plate and cover with foil while you cook the chicken.
- Add an additional tablespoon of oil to the same pan (you want all that flavor) over medium-high heat; carefully add chicken strips, not crowding the pan (do in batches if necessary) and quickly stir fry the chicken 5-6 minutes until cooked through.
- During the last minute of cooking, add the peppers and onions back into the pan, using tongs to turn and rotate the fajitas until combined with chicken and heated through. Serve immediately.
- If restaurant-style, sizzling, and slightly charred fajitas are desired, place a cast iron skillet into your oven on its highest heat setting while preparing the fajitas. Very carefully (use a pot holder or special heat gloves to grab the pan) when ready to serve, add hot fajitas to the hot pan and watch (and hear) they sizzle.
✱ Kathleen’s Tips
- 2-3 Roma or similar tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1-2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Guacamole is a classic Mexican condiment made with mashed avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and spices.
- Pico de Gallo or Salsa: Make your own quick pico de gallo above or this super easy blender salsa.
- Spanish Rice: Also known as Mexican rice.
- Refried Beans: Reheat some on the stovetop or instant pot, top with cheese and serve. Pinto or black beans.
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- Shredded Lettuce & Grated Cheese
- Flour or Corn Tortillas
The Fresh Cooky is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.
Your description makes me drool. All the juicy marinade and flavors sound delicious. Your description to enjoying this yummy dish is exciting to get going.
It’s so yummy!!
Your fajitas look so juicy, and I don’t just mean the sauce. My chicken and veggies always come out too dry. I’ll have to follow your recipe step by step to see what I’m doing wrong. Thanks for this!
Hope you love them! It’s anything but dry!
I have ordered fajitas when we have eaten out at a Mexican restaurant, but I have never tried to make them at home before. Looks like I need to change that asap! 😉
Yes, you do! So easy and delicious!
Love. Good fajita recipe Ms this one hit at Lal the right flavour notes! Thanks for the recipe.
You are welcome!
These chicken fajitas look so good. Just need some salsa. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!