Easy Secret Smashburger Sauce Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Move over ketchup and mustard…there is a new special sauce in town! This easy Smashburger sauce recipe is the perfect balance of creamy and tangy. But this sauce isn’t just for burgers! Try it on fries, sandwiches, onion rings, veggies…anything your heart desires. One taste, and you’ll be hooked!
No smash burger is complete without a slathering of this delicious smash sauce. There is just something about the combination of a juicy burger, caramelized onions, American cheese , and a dollop of this dreamy, drippy sauce that will change your life. Lol, not really – but it is THAT good!
I enjoy giving precise details in my recipe posts to lead my readers through any questions. If you’re just here for the printable recipe, feel free to click “Jump to Recipe” right under the title of this post, and you’ll head straight there!
Why You Will Love This Smashburger Sauce Recipe
- Fresh and Fast | Delicious, homemade flavor in just a quick stir.
- Simple Ingredients | A few pantry staples are all you need.
- Versatile | The combo of tangy, sweet, and savory flavors is amazing, not just for burgers!
Homemade, fresh tasting, and free from loads of ingredients you can’t pronounce, homemade sauces are better for you than store-bought!
Simple Ingredients Secret Smashburger Sauce Recipe
Ingredients, directions and nutritional information in the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
- Mayonnaise | I like to use Chosen Foods Avocado Mayo for a healthier alternative and better flavor. However, you may use whatever mayo is your favorite.
- Sweet Pickle Relish | Adds a sweet taste and a subtle tanginess, or chop up bread and butter pickles or even use dill pickle relish.
- Dijon Mustard | Tangy and sharp dijon gives a kick to this sauce.
- Lemon Juice | Freshly squeezed for the freshest flavor.
- Seasoning Salt | Enhances the flavor of any dish. I like this organic one without any MSG.
How to Make Smash Burger Sauce
This easy recipe makes the best burger sauce to pair with my Smash Burger Recipe.
Measure and add your mayo, sweet pickle relish, dijon mustard, and lemon juice into a small bowl.
Add a pinch of seasoning salt and lemon juice. Blend until well combined. Taste and adjust the salt as needed. And that’s all folks!
- This secret sauce is SO good; and it easily doubles for a crowd.
- Use good quality ingredients to make the most flavorful sauce.
- Let the sauce sit for at least 30 minutes for best results to allow the flavors to meld together.
Try my other homemade sauces and dressings, like this Homemade Teriyaki Sauce with just the right amount of tangy sweetness. Or, try this sweet and smokey Hot Honey that can be used anywhere you normally use honey but is especially delicious drizzled on pizza!
Variations & Substitutions
- Dairy-Free Smash Sauce: Most mayos are dairy-free; mayo gets that creaminess from emulsifying the oil and mayo. Check your ingredients first.
- Keto Smash Sauce: To make a low-carb smash sauce, use a quality Keto mayonnaise.
- Make it Sweeter: Add a pinch of sugar or sugar substitute for a slightly sweeter sauce.
- Not a fan of Dijon? Substitute yellow mustard instead.
- Spice it Up: Add a dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to turn-up the heat.
- Love Dill Pickles? Add an extra dash of pickle juice or chop some dill pickles.
- Be Bold: Add a drop or two of Worcestershire sauce to add depth to the sauce.
- Dips Dip Dips: Use as a delicious dip for veggies, onion rings, tater tots, sweet potato or regular fries. Try it with my Air Fryer Steak Fries for a WOW!
- Refrigerate – Store this dressing in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Freeze – I would not recommend it. Once thawed, you may not like the looks or taste of it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Make this sauce and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
Yes! If you wish to limit the fat in this dressing, try fat-free mayo and Greek yogurt.
Please do! This sauce is great on sandwiches, BLT’s, wraps, and even a dipping sauce for fries….chicken nuggets, or fingers!
Experience the culinary sensation of a smash burger—popularized by Shake Shack and Smashburger. Made by smashing ground beef onto a hot skillet (medium-high heat), cast iron pan or griddle, this technique triggers the cooking technique known as the Maillard reaction, creating a flavorful, aromatic delight. With a thin, crispy patty and a juicy interior, it’s the ultimate burger experience you won’t want to miss.
If you want to explore more smash burgers, give this recipe book a try, it’s got some great recipes!
How to Build the Perfect Smash Burger
For perfect smash burgers; toast a soft Brioche bun, add your cooked smashed burger patty and top with your favorite toppings such as Smashburger sauce, melty cheese, dill pickles, crisp iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and more.
Once you’ve tried this delicious burger, you may never want to go back to a traditional burger again! Don’t forget, the key to creating a delicious smash burger is using a cast-iron skillet, Blackstone style griddle or griddle with a flat surface to smash your burger patty.
Before adding your sweet pickle relish to the sauce, finely chop it. This helps distribute the flavor evenly so you get a little bit of pickle flavor in every bite!
Main Dishes that Pair Perfectly with Smash Burger Sauce
Is there anything better than a juicy burger with crispy browned edges, smashed to perfection in a cast iron skillet, slathering this creamy, tangy smash sauce on the bottom bun (or both the top bun and bottom)?
The absolute best reason to make this delicious sauce is to use it on this Smash Burger recipe!
Best Smash Burger Recipe with Onions on a Blackstone
Delicious Smashburger Recipe: Juicy patties sizzling on a Blackstone griddle, topped with caramelized onions. Your taste buds will thank you!
Easy Korean Fried Chicken Recipe (Air Fryer or Oven)
Korean Fried Chicken is perfectly crisp and smothered in a spicy-sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. Our version is made in the air fryer with chicken thighs! Tastier and more juicy than wings!
Easy Pigs in a Blanket Recipe (Air Fryer or Oven)
This easy Pigs in a Blanket Recipe includes savory cocktail sausages wrapped in buttery crescent rolls cooked quickly in the air fryer or oven. Plus, we have three different dipping sauces for you to try!
Best Sides to Serve with Smash Burger Sauce
I think of delicious things you can make to dip in this sauce! Like these zucchini corn fritters would be delish or this veggie crudite dip! Or slather or dip these Philly Cheesesteak sliders below. YUM!
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders Recipe
A sensational twist on a much-loved classic, this Philly Cheesesteak Sliders recipe packs all the savory and cheesy flavors of a traditional Philly sandwich into just a couple of bites! Kick up your game day menu with these easy shaved steak sliders.
Zucchini Corn Fritters
Enjoy the bounty of summer veggies with this scrumptious appetizer for Zucchini Corn Fritters. These sweet corn fritters are loaded with healthy, fresh vegetables, in a simple buttermilk batter, briefly fried and finished in the oven. They are light, easy and you can make them gluten free. These Zucchini Corn Fritters are chock full of
More Delicious Dips & Dressing
- Easy Queso Cheese Dip Recipe (without Velveeta)
- 3 Ingredient Chili Cheese Dip Recipe (Crock pot)
- 3 Ingredient Sausage Dip
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip
- Cowboy Crack Dip
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Green Goddess Salad Dressing
Get out there and make this amazing copycat, secret Shake Shack Smashburger sauce!
I hope you loved this Smash Burger Sauce Recipe – if you did, would you share your creation on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest? And be sure to comment below!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Easy Secret Smashburger Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, use a good quality, I like Avocado oil mayo myself
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh is best
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt, I like this Organic, no-MSG type
- Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until combined and creamy.
✱ Kathleen’s Tips
- Dairy-Free Smash Sauce: Most mayos are dairy-free; it gets that creaminess from emulsifying the oil and mayo.
- Keto Smash Sauce: Use a keto-friendly mayo and you are all set.
- Add a sugar or sugar substitute pinch for a slightly sweeter sauce.
- Substitute yellow mustard instead.
- Add a dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to turn up the heat.
- Add an extra dash of pickle juice or use dill pickle relish, or chopped bread and butter pickles.
- Add a drop or two of Worcestershire sauce to add depth to the sauce.
- Use as a delicious dip for veggies, onion rings, tater tots, sweet potato, or regular fries. Try it with my Air Fryer Steak Fries for a WOW!
The Fresh Cooky is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.
The combination of flavors in the sauce is amazing, especially the relish and dijon! Can’t wait to use it the next time we have a cookout.
Glad you liked it!
I made a double batch of this sauce for spreading on ham and cheese Hawaiian roll sliders for my daughter’s lacrosse banquette. It is so yummy. I told my husband this was going to be the sauce of the season because I can see that it will be my new go-to for all sorts of uses!
Perfect!! Love your twist on it!
I love how versatile this recipe is! So delicious!
We just got a Blackstone and have been making smashburgers galore. This sauce was the perfect addition and is absolutely a necessity at the condiment table now!
So easy and just like at Smashburger! Game-changing to be able to make this at home for cookouts.
Yes, it really is!!