Easy Air Fryer Steak Fries Recipe from Scratch
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Air Fryer Steak Fries from scratch are a delicious addition to your list of quick and simple air fryer recipes and are the perfect side dish. They are tender inside and cheesy crisp on the outside, delivering that classic steak fry taste with a garlic parmesan crunch, homemade or frozen they will become a favorite!
It is easy to adjust the number of servings for this fry recipe if you figure half a potato per person. Unless you have a fry addict at your table. These fries are perfect for BBQs, busy weeknight dinners, and go great with just about any dish!
I enjoy giving precise details in my recipe posts to lead my readers through any questions. If you’re just here for the printable recipe, feel free to click “Jump to Recipe” right under the title of this post, and you’ll head straight there!
Serve these homemade steak fries on game day, grill night, or as a loaded potato appetizer dish all on its own. Air fryer steak fries are the perfect accompaniment to hearty Philly Cheesesteak Sliders, Juicy Burgers, or this Air Fryer Halibut!
Sometimes, I will even make a small batch to enjoy dipping them in my Creamy Tomato Bisque Soup on a cool fall day.
The Fry Difference
Now, you must be a real French fry expert to know these finer details about all the different fries out there. Hahaha! I happen to know an expert fry connoisseur or two. And from one to another, they are as diverse as they look but equally as salty delish! I mean, Man vs. Fries wasn’t created for nothing! Without further ado…
- French fries come in shoestring, standard fries, curly fries, crinkle-cut, potato wedges, cottage fries, waffle fries, and of course, steak fries. However, steak fries are typically baked, so they are a bit healthier. On top of that, using an air fryer uses even less oil and still gives you that perfect crisp outside.
- Then there are the alternative varieties like smiley fries, tater tots, sweet potato fries, and home fries. There you have it—you are welcome!
Simple Ingredients Air Fryer Steak Fries from Scratch
Ingredients, directions and nutritional information in the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
- Potatoes | I think Russet potatoes are the best potatoes for french fries in the air fryer, but I have also used and loved Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Avocado Oil | Avocado oil spray has a high smoke point. Olive oil spray or regular oil in a pump may be used.
- Seasoning Salt | You can make a homemade salt or choose one like Lawry’s, I just make sure there is no MSG in mine.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder | These seasonings will take your fries to the next level —kind of like Red Robin steak fries! And of course we’ll use kosher salt and black pepper.
- Garnish | Lastly, you might enjoy a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and parsley on your fries! A bit more color and flavor!
- Homemade steak fries are healthier than deep-fried French fries. First, an air fryer uses way less oil than a deep fryer. Then, I use heart-healthy avocado oil since it is an unsaturated fat containing vitamin E and more! — bonus!
How to Make Steak Fries in Air Fryer
Air fryers need to be preheated, so go ahead and get that started. And don’t forget to spray the air fryer basket with spray oil or a pump of olive oil.
Why you should never spray your air fryer racks or basket with cooking spray
- While it contains oil, it also contains lecithin (an emulsifier), dimethyl silicone (an anti-foaming agent), and a propellant.
- It will build up over time on the nonstick surface creating a sticky goo, that can harm the non-stick surface in time and make it hard to clean.
- For that matter you shouldn’t use cooking spray (like Pam) on any non-stick pan.
- Instead use a high smoke point oil spray, such as Avocado oil. (source)
Step 1 | Prep the Potatoes
Wash those potato skins in cold water and pat them dry with paper towels for the best results. Then get out your cutting board and slice those potatoes into wedges. Nice thick slices are my preference, slice wedges or plank style (like Red Robin fries).
Step 2 | Season the Steak Fry Wedges
Grab a large bowl and toss the sliced potatoes with oil or spray the bowl full. Then once all the pieces are coated, sprinkle the fries with the seasonings. Add a little parmesan cheese to make extra crispy and cheesy fries! Toss it all together to combine and coat each wedge.
Step 3 | Time to Air Fry
In the basket of your air fryer, place a single layer of the seasoned potatoes, so they are not touching one another. This allows the fryer to crisp all sides of each fry. Fry for 20 minutes per batch.
If you are making a large batch for the family, you will need to do this in batches. I suggest placing the finished fries on another baking sheet and placing it in the oven to keep warm while you get the next batch cooked.
Step 4 | Give the Fries a Shake
No, I am not talking about a milkshake, although that would be a great idea! – Halfway through the cooking process, turn or shake the air fryer french fries, ensuring they get the perfect crispy texture on all sides. Then cook them a little longer if even more crispy fries are desired.
Step 5 | Take ‘em Out
Everyone out of the pool—or air fryer. Remove the fries carefully from the air fryer. Then you can give one a taste and add an additional sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garnish with freshly chopped parsley if desired.
Okay, taste one more time—just to be sure 😉 and add more kosher salt and fresh pepper if they need it, a little more grated parm and a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley for color.
Now let everyone else enjoy these crispy on the outside and soft on the inside golden crispy air fryer steak wedges. Serve immediately for the best French fry flavor and crisp texture.
This is a great recipe to make for two people. Use just one potato, and reduce the seasoning amounts in half!
Variations and Substitutions
Since you are making these easy air fryer steak fries from scratch, make them your own! Change up the seasonings, oils and more! Hint: Trader Joe’s has so many great seasoning blends. Try using different seasoning blends like these:
- Taco Seasoning
- Greek Seasoning
- Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- Chili Lime Seasoning
- Popcorn Seasoning
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- During the prep stage, you can also drizzle a little truffle oil over the wedges. Sounds good, right?
Steak Fry Topping Ideas
Of course, you can add parmesan cheese, as indicated in the instructions, but there are plenty more toppings to choose from. You do not have to stick with ketchup.
- Fresh chopped rosemary – Up to 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried.
- Fresh chopped thyme – Up to 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried.
- Bacon pieces, crispy fried of course!
- Cheddar Cheese or Blue Cheese
- Gravy? Yep, some people love gravy on their fries.
- Jalapeños (fresh or canned)
- See below for fabulous dipping sauce ideas!
Dip those fabulous steak fries in your favorite dipping sauce, delicious in homemade Ranch Dressing, barbecue sauce, my Honey Teriyaki Sauce, how about this Smashburger Fry Sauce and this amazing Bacon Aioli or ketchup.
- Lucky me, I have two air fryers. I use my smaller Air Fryer Lid for my Instant Pot for smaller recipes like Air Fried Ice Cream.
- But you need a larger basket for recipes like homemade fries, where you want to get the whole lot done at one time. My Air Fryer friends love this Cosari air fryer with a larger basket perfect for making for a larger group than two and I have been hearing great things about the Instant Vortex Pro!
- I actually used my Breville Smart Oven Pro, which has that larger basket, perfect for air fryer steak fries from scratch! This oven does it all, convection, pizza oven, dehydrator, proofing, toasting, bagels, warming, and reheating, to name a few! It’s been a fantastic investment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Making sweet potato fries in the air fryer would follow the same instructions—so they are an easy swap. Season as desired and start checking about 12-15 minutes for desired crispness. In fact, try my friend Nikki’s Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes.
Initially created for the health conscious folk to fry food without adding all the oil and fat! In short, an air fryer is a countertop appliance (ranging in sizes) that uses a convection oven concept circulating hot air around the food to provide the perfect crispness. If you want to learn more, check out this article from Food52.
Whether you slice them fresh at home or use a bagged frozen steak fry, they take about 13-20 minutes at 400° F (205° C), depending on the crispiness you like. Actual cooking time could vary depending on air fryer, quantity, and more. Go ahead and season (check that they aren’t already seasoned) them as desired.
In just 25-minutes, you’ll have the perfect steak fries to pair with your favorite dipping sauce and a giant smile!
- When making this recipe in the air fryer for a larger group, you will want to preheat the oven to 200°F (95° C) when you begin preheating the air fryer. That way, it is nice and warm when you are ready to place batches in as you get them to the perfect golden crispness. Don’t let those steak fries get cold on you!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer (up to 3 months).
Freeze | If freezing, cool completely and lay in a single layer on parchment lined baking sheet, flash freeze for 30-40 minutes then transfer to airtight container or baggie.
Should you find yourself with leftover fries, they are a great addition to breakfast the following day, along with a serving of homemade Mock Eggs Benedict, Easy Cheesy Chile Relleno, or chop them up and use them in a hash or scramble.
How to Reheat in Air Fryer
This is the sheer beauty of the air fryer! Brings the original crispness back to fried foods or crispy foods. Preheat the air fryer to 370° F, place leftover fries in one layer in the basket, and fry for 3 minutes until crispy.
More Easy Air Frying Recipes
- Air Fryer Steak Tips
- Air Fryer Ravioli
- Pretzel Bites
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Easy Pigs in a Blanket Recipe (Air Fryer or Oven)
- Easy Crispy Air Fryer Turkey Legs
What to Serve with Air Fryer Steak fries from scratch
- Roast Beef Sliders | the perfect combo!
- Crockpot London Broil (leave the potatoes out and serve these steak fries instead)
- Healthy Mongolian Beef | Instead of rice, serve like a poutine over the fries.
- Don’t forget dessert! Try my Award Winning Key Lime Pie or this simple shortbread recipe.
- Wash it down with this delicious Pink Lemonade (with or without the vodka!)
Best Sandwiches to Serve with Air Fryer Steak Fries
When I think of fries, I always think of sandwiches, hot and cold; below are a few of our favorites! Or keep it bread free and serve with this easy Philly Cheesesteak Casserole recipe.
Best Smash Burger Recipe with Onions on a Blackstone
Delicious Smashburger Recipe: Juicy patties sizzling on a Blackstone griddle, topped with caramelized onions. Your taste buds will thank you!
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders Recipe
A sensational twist on a much-loved classic, this Philly Cheesesteak Sliders recipe packs all the savory and cheesy flavors of a traditional Philly sandwich into just a couple of bites! Kick up your game day menu with these easy shaved steak sliders.
Best Dipping Sauces for Steak Fries
Let’s be honest, sometimes it is really about the dipping sauce! These are some of my faves.
Best Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Making homemade blue cheese dressing is a breeze. Mix ingredients in a bowl, transfer to a jar, and refrigerate for a few hours to thicken and develop flavors.Easily make low carb too!
Homemade Green Goddess Salad Dressing (Panera Copycat)
Light, bright and full of fresh herby flavor, this Green Goddess salad dressing is hard to resist. Fresh basil, zesty dijon and savory pesto combined with creamy Greek yogurt make this classic dressing a springtime favorite!
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
There is nothing better than a good restaurant buttermilk ranch dressing, but with this recipe for homemade buttermilk ranch dressing you can make your own, better! This creamy dressing is loaded with fresh ingredients and is perfect for salads and dips. Gluten free and low carb!
I hope you loved this recipe for air fryer steak fries from scratch — if you did, would you share your creation on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest? And be sure to comment below!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Air Fryer Steak Fries (Homemade or Frozen)
- Breville BOV900BSS the Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro
- 2 large Russet Potatoes, or 4 small (Yukon gold or red may also be used)
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil , Or I prefer using Avocado spray oil, do not use nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt, like Lawry's
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, adjust to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley, or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° F (205° C) and if needed spray the basket with a bit of spray oil.
- Wash and pat dry potatoes, slice potatoes into wedges. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with oil or spray well and sprinkle with seasonings and parmesan cheese if using. Toss to combine.
- Spread the potatoes out in the air fryer so they aren’t touching, if necessary do in batches, air fry for 20 minutes.
- Half way through cooking, turn or shake the steak fries. Cook longer if more crispy fries are desired.
- Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle with a little additional parmesan cheese and parsley if desired. Taste and add additional kosher salt and pepper if needed, enjoy immediately for best taste and texture.
✱ Kathleen’s Tips
The Fresh Cooky is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.
These look so delicious, such a great side to so many meals.
Perfect side for just about any meal!
Total weakness–steak fries! Love them.
Haha, I hear you!
I love these potato wedges! The serving and topping suggestions are top-notch.
Thank you so much Alina, appreciate you!
Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside! Will make again!
Yes, exactly! Thanks so much!
I love how versatile this recipe is, and how I can switch up the seasonings on the fries while using the same cooking technique. Different flavors for different main courses, and always simple to make. What a wonderful recipe!
Thank you so much!
This was such a hit! Thank you for loving all the ingredients, can’t wait to try this!
So glad that you enjoyed it!
I made these steak fries with dinner last night and my whole family devoured them. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
Always great to hear!! Thanks!
Okay this was absolutely delicious! My kids loved it!
YAY! Mom win!
This is simply the best steak fries I have ever had. Came out so perfect that I am making it again today.
Fabulous news! Thanks so much!