Got 15 minutes? Discover the simplicity of our Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers! Effortless and delicious, this slow-cooked dish brings the flavors of Italy to your table with minimal fuss.
This slow cooker sausage and peppers recipe is packed with juicy flavor and made fast and easy!
I love my crockpot! I use it all year long, great in the cold months when you want something warm and comforting, but fabulous in the summer too when it’s just too hot to turn on the oven or even stand over a grill!
The whole family will love an easy weeknight dinner — plus it’s great for game day (hello, Super Bowl), or your next potluck!
I recently made this recipe for new parents; not only was it easy, but it was hearty! They loved it!
I enjoy giving precise details in my recipe posts to lead my readers through any questions. If you’re just here for the printable recipe, use the Jump to Recipe to head straight there!
Why You Will Love Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Versatile Recipe – Enjoy this sweet Italian sausage and peppers in many ways! Serve as sandwiches or sliders, over pasta, on buttery mashed potatoes, fluffy steamed rice, or by itself!
- Keto and Gluten-free – This crockpot sausage and peppers recipe is gluten-free (make sure your sausages are GF) and low carb served as is! Great for a low-carb diet! So delish!
- Dump and Go – Who doesn’t love the simple crockpot recipes you set and leave to come home to a delicious dinner?
Simple Ingredients for Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Sausage | This recipe needs six to ten Italian sausage links, mild or spicy. I like using Boulder Sausage as it is gluten-free and doesn’t contain nitrites or nitrates! Be sure to buy raw sausages, not pre-cooked.
- Oil | I like to do a quick browning of the sausage, just a touch of olive oil will do the trick.
- Bell peppers | I use yellow, orange, and red bell peppers for a bright mix of color, but green bell peppers are also delicious. Seeded and sliced thin.
- Onion | Use a yellow onion or red onion cut in half and sliced into thin strips.
- Garlic | Fresh is best in this slow cooker sausage recipe, but you may use frozen or jarred garlic if preferred.
- Marinara sauce | I used my Grandpa Frank’s Spaghetti sauce (oh so good), but you may also use store-bought sauce, like Rao’s, or make a quick marinara sauce.
- Seasoning | Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cheese | When serving, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese and some fresh shaved or grated parmesan over the pepper mixture. Fresh shredded is best, as it doesn’t have anti-caking agents which can impact how it melts.
How to Make Easy Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers Recipe
Step 1 | Prep for recipe
Make this easy recipe easier by slicing, dicing, and measuring all ingredients. I suggest taking a few minutes to brown the sausages for the best results. I know, I know, I said dump and go, but truly the extra 5 minutes it takes to brown the sausages is SO worth it for the taste factor!
Step 2 | Brown the sausage (optional)
Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the raw sausages in a single layer. Brown both sides for 1-2 minutes on each side, continue in batches until all the sausages are browned. Keep them whole, cut in half or in thirds.
Step 3 | Add ingredients and cook
While browning the sausage, toss the sliced peppers and onions, mined garlic, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper into a 6-quart crockpot (or larger). Toss all of the ingredients until mixed.
Pour the marinara sauce over the seasoned veggies. Place browned (or not, the beauty of following a recipe is you get to do what you want to do!)
Cover and cook the recipe on LOW heat for about 3-4 hours or on HIGH for 1 ½-2 ½ hours. Once the sausages are cooked, serve and enjoy this delicious dish! I gave it a little stir about half way through.
- Just sear the Italian sausages, you are not cooking the sausage. They will cook in the slow cooker.
- Serve the recipe on its own, stuffed into a sandwich, with a green salad, or with your favorite pasta. See below for even more tasty serving options!
There are so many kinds of sausage. To enjoy more varieties, try my other sausage recipes inspired by cuisines from all over the globe, like Bangers and Mash with Milk Stout Gravy, Instant Pot Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya, crowd-pleasing 3 Ingredient Sausage Dip, or this One Pot Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe – Yum!
Variations & Substitutions
- Seasoning Alternatives: Make your own blend of homemade Italian seasoning with herbs like dried basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and oregano.
- Onions and Peppers: White onion or a sweet onion all work! Also use different colors bell peppers, whether green peppers or your favorite colors.
- Use four teaspoons of jarred garlic instead of freshly minced garlic cloves if preferred.
- Red pepper flakes add a bit of heat to the peppers and sausages. However, you can omit this ingredient if you prefer a mild flavor.
- Healthier Option: Feel free to use Italian turkey sausages or chicken sausages for a leaner option and consider adding more vegetables such as zucchini, mushrooms or cherry tomatoes. To keep the recipe on the lighter side, toss the sausage and peppers with zoodles, spaghetti squash, or cauliflower rice, instead.
- Sauce Options:
- Instead of serving over pasta or rice, try serving the sausage and peppers over quinoa, couscous, or polenta.
- I am loving this new crockpot!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sweet Italian sausage is typically used for sausage and peppers. However, you can use hot Italian sausage or chicken sausage, if preferred.
Yes. They cook wonderfully in the slow cooker. Browning them before adds great flavor, but is not necessary.
The optional red pepper flakes gives a hint of spice. Otherwise, it is very mild. You can turn up the heat by using spicy Italian sausage if you’d like.
I do not recommend using pre-cooked sausages because they may become overcooked or dry after cooking in the crockpot. Raw sausage links work best.
Refrigerate: Store leftover flavorful sausage peppers in an airtight container for up to three days.
Can you freeze sausage and peppers?
Yes! Place the cooled sausage and peppers in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then, thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat the next day.
Best way to reheat: Place the desired amount in a saucepan and warm on low on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe dish just until warmed through. You can also add it back to the slow cooker and heat until it’s warmed through.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage and Peppers in Crock Pot Recipe
11 Ways to serve with sausage, peppers and onions in slow cooker
- Italian Bread or Rolls: Serve the sausage and peppers in crusty Italian bread, hoagie rolls, French rolls and even hot dog buns will work. It’s perfect for making sandwiches or just mopping up the sauce.
- Polenta: Try this Pizza Polenta, it complements the sausages and peppers and absorbs the delicious flavors.
- Pasta: Choose a pasta variety like spaghetti, fettuccine, or penne. Toss the pasta with olive oil, garlic, and herbs for a simple and tasty side.
- Risotto: Creamy risotto makes an elegant and comforting side dish.
- Mashed Potatoes: Classic mashed potatoes are a comforting option. You can also try garlic mashed potatoes for an extra kick of flavor.
- Grilled Vegetables: Fire up the grill and prepare some grilled vegetables like asparagus, eggplant, sweet potatoes or zucchini. The smokiness adds a nice touch.
- Green Salad: A light, crisp green salad with a simple vinaigrette can balance the sausage’s and peppers’ richness.
- Caprese Salad: Fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil drizzled with balsamic glaze create a colorful and flavorful side.
- Roasted Potatoes: Try these ranch Roast potatoes for a hearty and satisfying side dish.
- Antipasto Platter: Create a spread of Italian antipasto items such as olives, cheeses, cured meats, and marinated vegetables.
- White Beans: Try these hearty and protein-packed brothy white beans.
Don’t skip browning the raw Italian sausage before adding the ingredients to the crock pot – It adds tons of flavor! Okay, well if you are in a huge hurry, you can skip it, but I promise it adds great flavor!
Best side dishes for sausage peppers and onions
This is the perfect recipe, for a simple meal! Pair it with an Italian salad tossed with Homemade Zesty Italian Salad Dressing or these Steakhouse Romaine Wedges. If serving for game day, then these Charcuterie Cups would be a great compliment.
Best Homemade Zesty Italian Salad Dressing Recipe
This zesty Italian dressing recipe will become your new go-to Italian Vinaigrette. Packed with herbs, spices, and tangy vinegar. Use as a dressing, marinade, grilling, pasta, sandwiches and more.
Best Easy Italian Chopped Salad Recipe
Loaded Italian chopped salad with fresh veggies, salami, provolone, kalamata olives, and homemade Italian vinaigrette. A light and delicious meal that will make you love salads!
Best Steakhouse Wedge Salad Recipe (with Romaine)
Healthier Romaine wedge salad is topped with creamy blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, blue cheese crumbles, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and candied pecans; the best Steakhouse wedge salad.
Charcuterie Cups – How to Pack a Perfect Charcuterie Board to Go
These individual charcuterie cups are everything you love about charcuterie boards but loads more fun! I'll show you how to pack a charcuterie board to go. These tasty single–serve treats are easy to make, portable, and perfect for gatherings large and small.
Best drinks to serve with crock pot sausage and peppers
Of course serving with a simple glass of red wine is grand; but you might also enjoy a few of our favorite recipes; such as this Spiced Holiday Sangria (great anytime during the winter months), or this Pomegranate Moscow Mule or maybe this Strawberry Refresher.
Spiced Holiday Pomegranate Sangria Recipe
This Spiced Holiday Pomegranate Sangria Recipe is perfect for the upcoming months. Sip on this winter sangria with beautifully blended flavors of punchy citrus, tangy pomegranate, honey, herbs and spices, and your favorite red wine.
Easy Pomegranate Moscow Mule Cocktail Recipe (Holiday Mule)
Make this holiday mule in minutes! Our pomegranate mule is a fresh, festive, and easy cocktail! With fresh pomegranate juice, fresh lime juice, vodka and finished with spicy ginger beer. You might call it a Yule Mule!
More Tasty Recipes with Italian Flavors
- Best Italian Pizza Rustica Recipe
- Best Italian Pasta Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Easy Homemade Authentic Italian Stromboli Recipe
- Best Italian Braised Short Ribs Recipe
More wonderful crockpot recipes you will love
- Comforting Crock Pot Pea Soup with Ham from my friend Lynn at Nourish and Nestle
- You will love this fall-apart Crockpot Brisket with delicious gravy!
- How about these easy Crock Pot Steak Bites?
- Our popular Crockpot London Broil recipe is comfort food at it’s finest!
- Or this 3-ingredient Olive Garden Crockpot Chicken and pasta!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and leave a comment below the recipe!
Easy Crock Pot Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
Click stars to rate now!Print Pin Save Rate
- 6-10 links Italian sausages mild (sweet) or spicy or use; bratwursts or your favorite sausages, just make sure they are raw, not pre-cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 large bell peppers use your favorite colors. I like red, yellow and orange, but green is great in it too!, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large onion cut in half, then sliced into strips (use yellow or red onion)
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced or 4 teaspoons jarred garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce quality sauce, such as Rao’s, make homemade for even better taste!
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes Optional, add more for spicier
- ½ – 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste, add after cooking
- ¼-½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella optional for serving
- grated parmesan cheese optional for serving
- Dice and measure all of your ingredients for the easiest recipe! You may dump and go, but take a few minutes to brown the sausages for the best flavor! *Keep the sausages whole or cut in half or thirds depending on how you are serving them.
- For best flavor, in a large saute pan, add oil over medium-high heat, add sausages (in single layer, doing in batches so you don’t overcrowd—brown sausages on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Add sliced peppers, onions, minced garlic (4-6 cloves), Italian seasoning (1 tablespoon), salt (½ teaspoon), pepper (¼ – ½ teaspoon) to a 6-quart or larger crockpot and toss to mix.
- Pour marinara sauce (2 cups) evenly over the vegetables, then place a layer of the browned sausages on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3-4 hours or HIGH 1 ½-2 ½ hours, until sausages are cooked through. Remember that many crockpots heat slightly different, so make sure your onions and peppers are cooked to desired and the sausages are cooked through.
Low-Carb: serve as is with a small side of marinara for dipping.
Serve as a sandwich (will need 6-8 hoagie rolls or French rolls), spoon mixture onto sandwich roll, then top with shredded mozzarella cheese or sliced provolone.
Serve over penne pasta, farfalle, or your favorite pasta, cooked al dente and sprinkle with parmesan or your favorite Italian cheese.
Toss it with zoodles, spaghetti squash, or riced cauliflower.