An irresistible breakfast hot dish that’s quick to prepare, packed with vibrant veggies, cheese, and eggs poured over a tater tot base. This vegetarian tater tot breakfast casserole takes just 20 minutes to assemble but also feeds a crowd and makes meal prep a breeze.
I’ve tested this recipe dozens of times and my taste testers have raved about it each and every time, your family and friends will too. The perfect breakfast hot dish to bring to your next pot luck.
I enjoy giving precise details in my recipe posts to lead my readers through any questions. If you’re just here for the printable recipe, use the Jump to Recipe to head straight there!
While testing this tater tot casserole without meat recipe, I tried sauteing the onions and mushrooms and adding the rest of the veggies raw to the egg mixture. This yielded an egg casserole with more of a crispy veggie, crunchy bite.
My testers and I agreed it was better when sauteing all of the veggies ahead of time, they cook at an even rate in the egg casserole, with incredible flavors added to your breakfast bake.
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- Healthier Tater Tot Casserole – It’s loaded with vegetables and we don’t use any canned cream of soups in our recipe.
- Easy Make-Ahead Meal – Assemble this easy vegetarian breakfast casserole the night before or even freeze!
- Crowd-Pleaser – Who doesn’t love a cheesy tater tot casserole? This recipe is bound to be your new family favorite!
Butter or Oil | Use butter or cooking spray to prepare the baking dish and butter or olive oil to saute the onions and mushrooms.
Tater tots | Use frozen tater tots. I like the organic crispy tater tots, but you can use your favorite brand.
Milk and Cream | Make a creamy egg mixture to bind all the ingredients with a base of whole milk and heavy cream. If you substitute half and half or lower percentages of milk, your egg casserole may come out more runny than you hoped. See how to fix it.
Eggs | I always use large eggs for consistency in my baking and cooking.
Seasonings | Season the egg mixture with kosher salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper to taste. If desired, include spicy cayenne pepper, too!
Veggies | Pack this vegetarian dish with fresh veggies, including onion, sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini. Use your favorite mushrooms – I used Baby Bella mushrooms. Use your favorite peppers; I used red bell pepper, orange and yellow. You can use green bell peppers or your favorite colors.
Cheese | Use shredded cheeses like Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese. I used white sharp white cheddar and Pepper Jack, but any combination will do.
Grate your cheese
- Grate your own cheese using a box grater as pre-grated or shredded cheese doesn’t melt quite as well and containers fillers.
Garnish | Sprinkle the finished casserole with chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley. Include sliced green onions, too, if desired.
How to Make Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
Step 1 | Prep and Saute Veggies
First, preheat the oven to 350°F (175° C) and spray or butter a 9×13-inch baking dish, lining the frozen tater tots in an even layer on the bottom. I like using butter, cause…butter!
Heat the butter or oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once the oil shimmers, add the diced onions, peppers, and zucchini, sauteing until they soften and brown slightly, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes.
Then, toss in the sliced mushrooms, and continue to saute for 3-4 more minutes until the mushrooms are softened and browned.
Allow the vegetable mixture to cool for a few minutes so you don’t cook your eggs when you add the egg mixture.
Step 2 | Make Egg Mixture
Meanwhile, beat eggs in a large bowl until smooth, adding kosher salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), and black pepper to taste. Pour in the milk and cream, whisking until the ingredients are smooth.
Then add the slightly cooled veggies to the egg mixture and the cheese; if desired, reserve 1 cup of cheese for topping the casserole.
Step 3 | Assemble Breakfast Casserole and Bake
Pour the egg mixture on top of the casserole dish filled with tater tots, and sprinkle with the reserved cheese. Spray a piece of aluminum foil with oil, cover, and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue baking for 30 to 35 more minutes until the top is bubbly and golden brown and the eggs are set in the middle.
Allow the casserole to cool for just a few minutes, garnish with basil or parsley then slice and serve for a tasty and easy breakfast!
How to Make Breakfast Casserole Ahead of Time
This casserole may be assembled the night before and baked in the morning or immediately.
If you’re making the casserole ahead of time, there’s no need to preheat the oven. After assembling the tater tot casserole, cover the dish with foil and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the casserole from the fridge, setting it on the counter while the oven preheats.
Next, bake the recipe, covered with foil, for 25-30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown and the casserole is cooked through.
Fresh Tip | Crunchy Veggies
- If you prefer crunchier veggies, only saute the onions and mushrooms, adding the chopped bell peppers, and zucchini to the egg mixture just before baking.
More delicious breakfast casseroles
Check out my Biscuit and Gravy Casserole, this sweet and gooey Cinnamon Roll Casserole, Cinnamon French Toast Casserole, and this Hatch Green Chile Relleno Casserole for more delicious ideas the whole family will love!
Variations & Substitutions
I love providing my readers with options! Because life is about options, leave it out if you don’t like something. If you love something, add it and see how it works!
Swap out Veggies in your Tater Tot Bake
Here are a few more great options – roasted red peppers, blanched broccoli florets or broccoli chopped very small, chopped baby spinach, artichoke hearts, and more! Use red onion, shallots or green onions if preferred. You can also try adding par-cooked sweet potatoes, carrots, and peas.
Mediterranean Tater Tot Casserole
Add chopped artichoke hearts and spinach. Then, swap out some of the cheese for crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese, toss in some diced kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes. YUM!
Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
Chop and saute a poblano pepper with your other veggies (much like this 10 Vegetable Soup). Add a drained can of mild green chiles, and 1-2 chopped Roma tomatoes. Take it further by browning, draining chorizo, and adding your favorite Mexican cheese to this egg bake! Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
Non-Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
If preferred, include meat in the breakfast casserole. Brown and drain your favorite breakfast sausage, turkey sausage, ham, or bacon pieces. Or keep it vegetarian with a meat substitute, like vegan sausage, tofu or vegan bacon.
Refrigerate For Later
First, allow the casserole to completely cool, then transfer it to an airtight container or cover the dish with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days to enjoy throughout the week as a quick and easy breakfast.
Can you Freeze Leftover Tater Tot Casserole?
Yes! Keep the casserole for up to three months by storing it in a freezer-safe container or separate it into smaller portions in freezer bags or containers for individual servings.
Best Way to Reheat your Vegetarian Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Reheat refrigerated leftover casserole by placing it in the microwave at 30-second intervals. Cover and return to the preheated 350°F oven for 20-35 minutes until warmed. Warm up a frozen casserole by letting it thaw in the fridge overnight and baking or microwaving it in the morning.
Can I put the tater tots on top of my breakfast casserole?
You can put the tater tots on top of the breakfast casserole to create a crispy layer during baking. Layer them evenly over the top of the vegetarian egg and cheese mixture.
What to Serve with Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
I love serving this hot from the oven with freshly chopped basil; the casserole’s heat awakens the fresh basil’s aroma.
My family loves shaking on some hot sauce or sriracha. If you are not trying to stay vegetarian, serve with these quick and easy Air Fryer Sausage links or patty, or make this healthy diced hash browns recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can freeze a vegetarian tater tot casserole. Prepare the casserole as instructed but skip the baking step. Instead, cover the dish tightly with foil or place it in a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight and follow the baking instructions.
A vegetarian tater tot breakfast casserole is a savory breakfast dish made with tater tots as the base. It typically includes vegetarian-friendly ingredients such as eggs or egg substitutes, vegetables, cheese, and seasonings. The tater tots are arranged in a casserole dish, and the other ingredients are mixed and poured over the tater tots before baking until the eggs are set, and the casserole is golden and crispy.
Tater Tot Hot Dish is a traditional dish that originated in Minnesota. It is often considered a quintessential comfort food in Minnesota and is commonly served at potlucks, family gatherings, and community events throughout the state. There are many variations of the tater tot hot dish; my breakfast version is one of them!
Yes, it sure is! Check your tater tots to make sure, and if you are using pre-shredded cheese, check the ingredients, as they sometimes use preservatives and anti-caking ingredients that contain gluten.
Why is my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Runny in the Middle?
There could be a few reasons why the middle of your breakfast casserole is runny:
- Undercooked Eggs: Undercooked eggs are the most common reason for a runny center. Eggs in a casserole need sufficient time to cook and set properly. The center might remain runny if the cooking time or temperature was insufficient.
- Incorrect Oven Temp: Many ovens run 25° hot/cold; use an oven thermometer to ensure your oven is heating correctly. Follow the recipe’s recommended cooking time and temperature, and consider adjusting it based on your oven’s performance.
- Too Much Liquid: If your casserole has too much liquid or moisture, it can result in a runny center. This could be due to excessive milk, cream, lower percentages of milk, or other liquids added to the casserole mixture. The excess moisture prevents the eggs from setting correctly.
- Pre-Shredded Cheese: Using pre-shredded cheese can impact how your hot dish cooks.
- Ingredient Distribution: Uneven distribution of ingredients within the casserole can also lead to a runny center. If the eggs, vegetables, or other ingredients are not evenly spread throughout the casserole dish, it can result in some portions not cooking properly. Ensure the ingredients are mixed thoroughly and evenly distributed in the dish before baking.
To avoid a runny center, follow the recipe instructions closely, ensure proper cooking times and temperatures, and check for ingredient distribution and moisture levels.
You can also tent the casserole with foil and continue baking for a bit longer to help the center cook through without over-browning the top. And sometimes, it’s cooked just perfectly but needs to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Assemble the casserole the night before, leaving the baking for the next day!
Best Side Dishes to Serve with Tater Tot Casserole
Add these favorite recipes for your weekend brunch.
Breakfast Cinnamon Roll Casserole Recipe (canned rolls)
Make a mouth-watering Breakfast Cinnamon Roll Casserole from Grands cinnamon rolls that tastes like it took hours to prepare. A family favorite in no time!
Easy Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage Links (Fresh or Frozen)
Enjoy perfectly crisp and juicy breakfast link sausage in the Air Fryer. The best part, easier clean-up, no greasy mess! Sausage links or patties are excellent for a quick and easy breakfast. Use pork, turkey or chicken sausages!
Best Mexican Fruit Salad Recipe
This Mexican fruit salad recipe is refreshing, and bursting with juicy and sweet fruits that will make your taste buds salsa dance! Tropical fruits paired with citrus, strawberries, and grapes in a light honey-lime Tajin dressing.
Best Drinks to Serve with Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
Don’t forget to have a little something to sip on with this flavorful tater tot casserole. Try my incredible Starbucks Copycat Drinks, the Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonade or Passion Tea Lemonade, for a refreshing start to the day.
Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonade Recipe
There is nothing more refreshing on a hot summer day than a tall glass of iced peach green tea lemonade. This copycat Starbucks version is a bit lighter, using all natural flavor, no sugar, fresh peach juice, light lemonade and Jade Citrus Mint Tea, a flavorful green tea.
Starbucks White Hot Chocolate Recipe
A quick and easy recipe on how to make a Starbucks White Hot Chocolate recipe at home. Save time and money, by making this fast copycat white hot chocolate recipe in the comfort of your own home.
The Best Chai Recipe (Dutch Bros)
This holiday season enjoy this copycat Dutch Bros Christmas Morning Chai recipe. A chai latte that is spicy and flavorful chai tea mixed with half and half and swirled with white chocolate syrup. Delicious hot or cold.
More Tasty Vegetarian Dishes
- Easy Mexican Street Corn Rice Bowls Recipe
- Crockpot Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- The Best Spanish Rice Recipe (Vegetarian)
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
More great casserole recipes
- Best Cheesy Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Easy Tamale Pie Casserole Recipe with Cornmeal Crust
- Best Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe (Low-Carb)
- Breakfast Cinnamon Roll Casserole Recipe (canned rolls)
- Easy Zucchini Ground Beef Casserole
Easy Vegetarian Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Click stars to rate now!Print Pin Save Rate
- 1 tablespoon Butter for baking dish, or spray with spray oil
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots I like organic, frozen
- 1 cup whole milk using lesser % may make your casserole more runny
- ½ cup heavy cream or half and half, note this could make your casserole a little more runny
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼-½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½-1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1-2 cups mushrooms sliced, your choice, I used baby bellas
- 1-2 small red bell pepper finley chopped, or use your favorite
- 1 small green bell pepper finely chopped, use your favorite
- 1 medium zucchini finley chopped
- 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese grated or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese cheddar, I used white sharp cheddar
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil or Italian parsley
- NOTE: This casserole may be assembled the night before and baked in the morning or baked immediately. If baking immediately, preheat the oven to 350°F (175° C).
- Spray or butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. Line the tater tots in an even layer in the bottom of the dish.
- In a large skillet, melt butter or add olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, saute the onions*, peppers, and zucchini for about 5-7 minutes, then toss in the sliced mushrooms, and continue to saute for 3-4 more minutes until the mushrooms are softened and browned. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until smooth, adding salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), black pepper to taste, milk and cream, and whisk until smooth. Then add the veggie mixture a little at a time to temper the eggs. Stir in the cheese, reserving one cup to sprinkle on top if desired.
- Pour over the top of the tater tots, top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight, when ready to bake, remove the casserole from the fridge while the oven is preheating.
- Bake covered, for 25-30 minutes, remove the foil and bake additional 30-35 minutes until top is golden brown and casserole is cooked through.
Day of Baking Instructions
- Bake covered with foil sprayed with oil for 25-30 minutes; remove the foil and bake additional 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown and the casserole is cooked through. If browning too quickly cover with foil loosely towards the end, remove when there is just a tiny jiggle in the middle, allow to cool 10-15 minutes garnish and serve.
- Swap out Veggies in your Tater Tot Bake | Here are a few more great options – roasted red peppers, blanched broccoli florets or broccoli chopped very small, chopped baby spinach, artichoke hearts, and more! Use red onion, shallots or green onions if preferred. You can also try adding par-cooked sweet potatoes, carrots, and peas.
- Mediterranean Tater Tot Casserole | Add chopped artichoke hearts and spinach. Then, swap out some of the cheese for crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese, toss in some diced kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes. YUM!
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole | Chop and saute a poblano pepper with your other veggies (much like this 10 Vegetable Soup). Add a drained can of mild green chiles, and 1-2 chopped Roma tomatoes. Take it further by browning, draining chorizo, and adding your favorite Mexican cheese to this egg bake! Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
- Non-Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole | If preferred, include meat in the breakfast casserole. Brown and drain your favorite breakfast sausage, turkey sausage, ham, or bacon pieces. Or keep it vegetarian with a meat substitute, like vegan sausage, tofu or vegan bacon.