As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Today I’m featuring another family favorite…this 30 minute recipe for healthy Beef and Broccoli is packed with flavor, loaded with juicy steak; crisp, tender broccoli and has a delicious, healthy and tangy sauce, that is easily spice adjustable.
This 30 minute Beef & Broccoli recipe is actually more like “22 Minute Beef & Broccoli” but that doesn’t roll off the tongue. But what does roll off the tongue, this is the BEST BEEF AND BROCCOLI!
I loved shaved steak recipes, making it easy to whip up this delicious and healthy dish, you might also love our family favorite Best Cheesesteak Sandwiches and skip take-out with this Mongolian Beef.
Best Beef and Broccoli Recipe
Other than making sure you have the ingredients thawed and on hand, this meal can be totally last minute.
I love this type of meal; a healthy, quick meal going into a holiday weekend or just after one.
First things first though, we love our beef and broccoli over steamed rice, so get that going while you assemble the rest of the recipe.
Or if preferred cook up some lo mein style noodles, both equally as tasty! White or brown rice works great!
- BEEF | Skirt steak, round steak, flank or even top sirloin works great in the recipe, or purchase shaved steak from Trader Joe’s like I do!
- SOY SAUCE | Adding the delicious salty flavor we know so well, if gluten-free be sure to use Tamari or Liquid Aminos.
- TOASTED SESAME OIL | Flavor charged oil, with an Asian flavor so delicious!
- GINGER & GARLIC | class stir fry flavors!
- HONEY | a healthy way to give the sauce a sweet to the sour taste
- BEEF BROTH | rich beef broth brings the flavors all together.
- CORN STARCH | I use non-GMO, this is what thickens and brings a lovely gloss to the dish.
- BROCCOLI | Fresh is best and cooks so quickly, but certainly use frozen if you are in a pinch
How to make Beef and Broccoli sauce
The sauce takes the longest to prep; like maybe 4-6 minutes, longer if you are taking phone calls or answering texts. (wink-wink)
- In a medium bowl, pour in soy sauce. We like to use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos which tastes just like soy sauce, but use the “soy sauce or soy alternative” of your choice, I’ve used Tamari, Low-Sodium Soy, GF Soy Sauce, and even Coconut Aminos!
- Add cornstarch and stir to mix.
- Mince or press garlic into the bowl. I was feeling lazy and just used my garlic press. Add sherry (optional), I typically don’t have sherry on hand but I generally have Marsala, Madeira or a Tawny Port, which works nicely in the place of sherry. This is totally optional.
- Pour in honey, try and buy local honey, it’s wonderful for allergies and much, much more! We love this brand.
TIP | If you spray your mini measuring cup with a little spray oil your honey will slip right out, making cleanup a breeze.
Grate or chop a little fresh ginger.
FRESH GINGER TIP | Did you know you can freeze ginger root and grate it from it’s frozen state? Great way to make sure you always have fresh ginger on hand.
Add sesame oil, I’m a huge fan of toasted sesame oil!! So fragrant!!
- Shake in as little or as much red pepper flakes as you like!
- Last, add beef broth. The last time I made homemade beef bone broth I packaged and froze some of the broth in 1 cup portions just for this purpose.
- I removed one from the freezer, plunked the baggie (sealed) into a bowl of warm water for a quick thaw. Slurp! But Pacific or Trader Joe’s are my favorite boxed brands.
- Stir it all up and set aside, be sure to whisk well getting all of the corn starch that has settled on the bottom.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY BEEF AND BROCCOLI
Slice the steak and prep the broccoli florets. I used skirt steak this time, because I had some in my freezer, but I prefer using sirloin or shaved beef steak or even flank over skirt.
Just slice it thin and try to trim the fat off.
- Rinse broccoli, cut into small, bite sized florets, set aside.
- In a large and heavy skillet pour in a tablespoon of olive oil, heat to medium-high heat.
- Carefully toss in the meat, browning quickly on both sides. Stirring or tossing often to evenly and quickly cook the meat (that’s what’ll keep it tender). Saute about 3-4 minutes until almost completely browned.
- Toss in broccoli florets and stir around mixing in with the beef, stir-frying for a minute or two.
- BROCCOLI | If you prefer really crisp broccoli wait to add until the very end, I like mine fork tender, so add it a bit earlier.
- WHISK | Before pouring the sauce into the pan, whisk again one last time, the corn starch likes to settle on the bottom.
- GLUTEN-FREE | By making sure your soy sauce is gluten free (try Tamari or Liquid Aminos) this is a delicious gluten free dinner recipe.
- PREP | Since this is a stir fry, make sure you have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go ahead of time!
Best if served immediately over rice or noodles, but it’ll still taste good if it waits awhile too, your broccoli just won’t be as bright green.
Serve this healthy beef and broccoli recipe with a little sriracha sauce or as we like it with a little sweet chili sauce.
More quick 30 minute or less meals:
- Easy & Healthy Raspberry Glazed Salmon
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Turkey Divan with Broccoli
- Honey Bourbon Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.