Today I’m featuring another family favorite…this 30 minute recipe for Easy Beef and Broccoli is packed with flavor, loaded with juicy steak; crisp, tender broccoli and has a delicious, healthy and tangy sauce, that is easily spice adjustable.
30 minute Easy Beef & Broccoli is actually more like “22 Minute Beef & Broccoli” but that doesn’t roll off the tongue.
EASY BEEF AND BROCCOLI
Other than making sure you have the ingredients thawed and on hand, this meal can be totally last minute.
I love this type of meal; a healthy, quick meal going into a holiday weekend or just after one.
First things first though, we love our beef and broccoli over steamed rice, so get that going while you assemble the rest of the recipe.
Or if preferred cook up some lo mein style noodles, both equally as tasty! White or brown rice works great!
- BEEF | Skirt steak, round steak, flank or even top sirloin works great in the recipe.
- SOY SAUCE | Adding the delicious salty flavor we know so well, if gluten free be sure to use Tamari or Liquid Aminos.
- TOASTED SESAME OIL | Flavor charged oil, with an Asian flavor so delicious!
- GINGER & GARLIC | class stir fry flavors!
- HONEY | a healthy way to give the sauce a sweet to the sour taste
- BEEF BROTH | rich beef broth brings the flavors all together.
- CORN STARCH | I use non-GMO, this is what thickens and brings a lovely gloss to the dish.
- BROCCOLI | Fresh is best and cooks so quickly, but certainly use frozen if you are in a pinch
How to make Beef and Broccoli sauce
The sauce takes the longest to prep; like maybe 4-6 minutes, longer if you are taking phone calls or answering texts. (wink-wink)
- In a medium bowl, pour in soy sauce. We like to use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos which tastes just like soy sauce, but use the “soy sauce or soy alternative” of your choice, I’ve used Tamari, Low-Sodium Soy, GF Soy Sauce, and even Coconut Aminos!
- Add cornstarch and stir to mix.
- Mince or press garlic into the bowl. I was feeling lazy and just used my garlic press. Add sherry (optional), I typically don’t have sherry on hand but I generally have Marsala, Madeira or a Tawny Port, which works nicely in the place of sherry. This is totally optional.
- Pour in honey, try and buy local honey, it’s wonderful for allergies and much, much more! We love this brand.
TIP | If you spray your mini measuring cup with a little spray oil your honey will slip right out, making cleanup a breeze.
Grate or chop a little fresh ginger.
FRESH GINGER TIP | Did you know you can freeze ginger root and grate it from it’s frozen state? Great way to make sure you always have fresh ginger on hand.
Add sesame oil, I’m a huge fan of toasted sesame oil!! So fragrant!!
- Shake in as little or as much red pepper flakes as you like!
- Last, add beef broth. The last time I made homemade beef bone broth I packaged and froze some of the broth in 1 cup portions just for this purpose.
- I removed one from the freezer, plunked the baggie (sealed) into a bowl of warm water for a quick thaw. Slurp! But Pacific or Trader Joe’s are my favorite boxed brands.
- Stir it all up and set aside, be sure to whisk well getting all of the corn starch that has settled on the bottom.
HOW TO MAKE EASY 30 MINUTE BEEF AND BROCCOLI
Slice the steak and prep the broccoli florets. I used skirt steak this time, because I had some in my freezer, but I prefer using sirloin or strip steak or even flank over skirt.
Just slice it thin and try to trim the fat off.
- Rinse broccoli, cut into small, bite sized florets, set aside.
- In a large and heavy skillet pour in a tablespoon of olive oil, heat to medium-high heat.
- Carefully toss in the meat, browning quickly on both sides. Stirring or tossing often to evenly and quickly cook the meat (that’s what’ll keep it tender). Saute about 3-4 minutes until almost completely browned.
- Toss in broccoli florets and stir around mixing in with the beef, stir-frying for a minute or two.
- BROCCOLI | If you prefer really crisp broccoli wait to add until the very end, I like mine fork tender, so add it a bit earlier.
- WHISK | Before pouring the sauce into the pan, whisk again one last time, the corn starch likes to settle on the bottom.
- GLUTEN FREE | By making sure your soy sauce is gluten free (try Tamari or Liquid Aminos) this is a delicious gluten free dinner recipe.
- PREP | Since this is a stir fry, make sure you have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go ahead of time!
Best if served immediately over rice or noodles, but it’ll still taste good if it waits awhile too, your broccoli just won’t be as bright green.
Serve your easy beef and broccoli with a little sriracha sauce or as we like it with a little sweet chili sauce.
Our family watched Passion of the Christ for the first time this year. As a lifelong Christian, I was hit anew with a vivid reminder of what Christ did for me. He did it for all mankind! Taking on the sins of the world…it is finished, the battle has been won.
“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:16 (NLT)
If you are not sure how you feel, I invite you to reach out; to me or someone else — I certainly don’t have all the answers, but I would love to share my story with you.
More quick 30 minute or less meals:
- Easy & Healthy Raspberry Glazed Salmon
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Cheesesteak Sandwich
- Honey Bourbon Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb flank steak (strip, sirloin, or skirt steak may also be substituted) trimmed of fat & sliced thin
- 1 head broccoli, rinsed and cut into florets
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (Bragg's Liquid Aminos, Tamari, GF Soy Sauce or alternatives may be used)
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tawny port (Sherry, Marsala, Madeira may be used) - OPTIONAL
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
- 4-6 servings of white or brown rice or noodles
- Sriracha Sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce
- If steaming your own rice, start before you do anything else. In a medium bowl mix together the following ingredients: soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic, port, honey, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and beef broth. Whisk well, set aside.
- Trim steak of any excess fat and slice into bit size, thin slices. Cut your broccoli into bite size florets. Heat pan on medium-high heat and drizzle in olive oil. Once pan is hot, carefully place in meat and quick toss/stir fry to brown both sides. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli and keep heat up to stir fry broccoli and finish cooking the meat, 2-3 minutes. Pour in the sauce (whisking first to make sure it's all combined) and stir until thick and glossy.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until broccoli is done to your desired taste. Serve immediately over rice or noodles. Garnish with a few shakes of sesame seeds or red pepper flakes if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1338mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 5g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc. Nutritional information will change based on used ingredients, quantities used, etc.