As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Air Fryer Apple Crisp recipe is a quick way to make healthy individual apple crisps that are just perfect for fall and apple picking season! I love apple season; and this apple crisp is low fat, naturally sweet with maple syrup, and tart little apple crisps topped with a simple streusel oat topping!
My apple crisp air fryer recipe makes eight individual servings and cooks up so fast in your air fryer. This delicious crumble recipe is a heavenly dessert that is low fat with no added sugar. Plus, one ingredient changes it to be vegan or gluten-free recipe!
You might like a few of our other air fryer recipes — Air Fryer Fried Ice Cream. You’ll love how quick and easy it is to make Steak Tips in the Air Fryer with a side dish of Easy Air Fryer Steak Fries and don’t forget healthy Air fried asparagus on the side.
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- Pie Spices | The apple pie spice combination says “fall” to me. Also try using my pumpkin pie spice mix.
- Air Fryer Healthy | Anything made is the air fryer cooks faster with easy clean-up and is healthier.
- Serving Sized | These ramekin apple crumbles are a perfect size, and you can serve them in the same dish you cook them in!
Ingredients, directions and nutritional information in the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
- Apples | Use your favorite apples, but tart apples are some of the best apples, I like Granny Smith apples, Honeycrisp apples, and Golden Delicious — diced into small pieces, or into thin sliced apples.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg | Fall calls for the nutty spice of ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Maple Syrup | Keep it fresh by using all-natural maple syrup for the sugary addition to the apple crisps. Try coconut sugar or brown sugar instead if you prefer, but I like the maple syrup for a healthier apple crisp.
- Butter | For a dairy-free version, use melted coconut oil.
- Vanilla Extract | Just a touch, this always adds great dimension. Try using this homemade bourbon vanilla extract too.
Streusel Crisp Topping
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats | Oats are the main ingredient of a good crisp topping. Do not use quick oats for your oat topping here.
- Cinnamon | Again, with the cinnamon, it is a fall staple.
- Nuts | Chop pecans, almonds, or walnuts
- Maple Syrup | More all-natural maple syrup, please
- All-purpose Flour | All-purpose flour binds the crumble together. Use regular or gluten-free flour here.
- Butter | Use butter as the liquid that binds the crisp together and makes it all turn golden delicious. You can also try melted coconut oil.
- Ramekins | Use either 5 or 6 ounce ramekins for this apple crisp dessert. Other small oven safe dishes are fine to use here too. Split according to your taste and preference.
- Knife | I love my Wusthof santoku knife, I use it ALL THE TIME!
- Air Fryer | This recipe will work well in any air fryer, you may need to adjust the number of servings you can fit based on the size of your basket. Priced from lowest to highest Cosori Air Fryer, Ninja Air Fryer, or my favorite Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro (it does it all!)
How to Make Apple Crisp in Air Fryer
Just wait until you taste these scrumptious mini apple pies full of iconic apple spices and cooked beautifully fast in the air fryer. They are the perfect way to say Happy Fall!
Step 1 | Prep
Get ready to make these apple crumbles! Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees and ensure each ramekin is well coated with cooking spray or softened butter.
Make crumble topping ahead of time and place in the fridge or freezer to firm back up while making up the apple mixture.
Peel, core, dice your fresh apples, and set out your additional ingredients. I find baking goes even faster when everything is out and ready to grab and bake.
Step 2 | Prepare the Apple Mixture
For the filling, you will need a medium-sized mixing bowl or a large bowl. Add the green apple pieces, cinnamon, nutmeg, lime juice or lemon juice, maple syrup, melted butter (or coconut oil) and toss to coat all the apples evenly.
Then take a spatula or a large spoon and add the apple pie filling to the eight prepared ramekins.
Step 3 | Recipe for Apple Crisp with Oatmeal
Set out a clean small bowl to mix the streusel. Measure the oats, cinnamon and nutmeg spices, chopped nuts, maple syrup, flour, and melted butter or coconut oil. Mix them all together until evenly coated.
It should look like a crumble at this point.
Step 4 | Top the Pie Filing with Streusel
With a clean large spoon, add the crumble topping to each ramekin of apple pie mixture, ensuring it is distributed evenly among the servings and covers all the gooey filling.
Cover the pie dishes with aluminum foil and bake them in the air fryer basket for only 25 minutes. Then carefully remove the pies from the air fryer and get them ready to be served.
I can almost smell the fresh fall flavors of this classic dessert now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, instead of 8 smaller ramekins, you may prefer to have one baking dish or two larger dishes for sharing. Simply, split the apple filling mixture into larger air fryer safe baking dishes.
You may have to make it in batches that will fit your air fryer.
Then, to test if your apple crisps are done, run a butter knife or fork into the tender apples; there should be little to no resistance.
Honestly, you can use any apple you like, in fact making with a variety of apples is delicious! I like the tartness of a Granny Smith in my apple pies. But you can use red sweet apples if you prefer, Honeycrisp and Golden Delicious are also a favorite.
While an apple crisp and apple crumble are the same in that they are both baked desserts with a topping. The difference is that crumbles rarely include oats or nuts.
How to Bake in Conventional Oven
I realize not everyone has an air fryer, and maybe you still want to bake these no sugar added apple crisps!
Proceed through all of the steps, but do not cover these with foil. Instead, place the apple crisp filled ramekins on a baking sheet and bake 40-45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven!
Remove and enjoy!
Store easy apple crisp in the refrigerator covered in plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container.
If you want to freeze them, leave off the topping and cover the dishes well with plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil. Then add the crumb topping before baking.
Or bake, cooling completely, then cover with foil and place in airtight baggie and freeze.Thaw overnight in fridge or on counter for 30-60 minutes. Rewarm in air fryer by preheating to 325 degrees and bake covered for 10-15 minutes.
- I used the “less is more” concept when creating this recipe. Using the natural sweetness of the apples and the maple syrup for a delicious and healthy, portion controlled dessert.
- If you are worried about the butter, instead use coconut oil. But I love using European Grass-Fed butter in my baking.
- You may also love my Air Fryer French Toast Sticks, healthier and super easy!
Variations & Substitutions
- Fruits | This recipe is equally as good with pears and peaches.
- Dairy Free (Vegan) Apple Crisp | Butter is the only ingredient that is dairy. Swap it out for dairy-free butter or coconut oil.
- Gluten-Free Apple Crumble | Try using Bob’s Red Mill Oats and a favorite Measure for Measure GF Flour. Make sure your old-fashioned oats are also gluten-free.
- Replacements | Use almond flour, oat flour or whole wheat flour in place of the regular flour. Use coconut sugar instead of maple syrup — both are natural sweeteners.
- Make up all 8 ramekins of individual servings of apple crisp and freeze what you aren’t going to use right away by wrapping each well in plastic wrap and then placing them in an airtight baggie.
- Then, when ready to air fry, remove the number of servings you want from the freezer and place them in the fridge overnight to thaw.
- Or to make from frozen, remove two ramekins from the freezer and bring them to room temperature for 1 hour before placing them under the air fryer. For frozen crumbles, you may need to add 5-10 minutes to your air frying time.
Ways to serve air fryer apple crumble
Enjoy these delicious apple crisp air fryer tarts with a healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream, a beautiful drizzle of caramel sauce, homemade whipped cream, or perhaps a dollop of yogurt if you want a lighter dessert or snack.
Then top that easy dessert creation with more chopped nuts and an apple slice for a gorgeously tempting dessert.
- Crunchy Topping | If you want the oats to be more toasted, uncover the ramekins and add 2 – 3 more minutes to your air fryer for a golden brown crisp topping.
- Double the Good | If you are serving these apple crips to a large crowd, double the recipe. Then preheat the oven to a warm setting and add each batch as they are finished in the air fryer. That way, they all stay nice and warm until time to serve.
More Fruit & Apple Recipes
- Amazing Apple Crumb Cake
- Easy Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Go for this Old-Fashioned Oven Baked Apple Crisp
- Easy Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Blueberry Pancake Bundt Cake Recipe
- The Best Key Lime Pie
- Peach Cobbler Pound Cake Recipe
More recipes without Refined Sugar
- Healthier Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Healthy Strawberry Bread
- Healthy Gluten-Free Breakfast Cookies
- Pumpkin Yogurt | Copycat Noosa
Be sure to try all of our Air Fryer recipes!
Top Pro Tip
Keep the apple crisps warm. Have a baking sheet ready, pull out the air fried apple crisps, place on the baking sheet and keep in a preheated 250 F degree oven until ready to serve.
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.