As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
1 bowl healthy gluten free breakfast cookies are so delicious! Loaded with good for you ingredients like banana, pumpkin, oats, almond butter, nuts, cranberries, hemp hearts and dark chocolate chips.
I love it when something that should be sinful, is really healthy! These Gluten Free Banana Oatmeal Cookies are just that! Healthy enough to serve for breakfast, but also a great pick-me-up snack!
If you are searching out more gluten free recipes, try these easy recipes: Gluten Free Coffee Cake (best coffee cake ever, even for non-gluten free eaters), and these delectable (though I couldn’t call them healthy) Buckeye Bars.
Why you’ll love Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies
- REFINED SUGAR FREE!
- 1 BOWL RECIPE | Ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
- GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN | as long as you use dairy free chocolate chips
- FREEZE BEAUTIFULLY
- KIDS & TEENS (and adults too) love them!
While our family is not gluten free, many of you know that my brother and his family are gluten free, as well as many of my friends.
So as much as I am able, I try and provide GF options in many of my recipes or make them gluten free. Like in this Apple Crumb Cake or this Chile Relleno Casserole (both amazing I might add, regular or GF!)
I got this recipe from a dear friend while we were away for a girls weekend this year, she got it from Minimalist Baker (a fine blog!). The original recipe is vegan and not gluten free, so you can see that this cookie is quite adaptable!
HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE COOKIE INGREDIENTS
- Bananas | Ripe, medium-large ripe bananas
- Pumpkin puree | I used organic, not pumpkin pie mix
- Almond Butter | I used chunky as that was all I could find
- Coconut or Avocado Oil | Melted if solid
- Vanilla extract
- Agave Nectar | may also use maple syrup or honey if desired
- Rolled Oats | Use GF Oats if sensitive
- Oat Flour | Use GF Oat Flour if sensitive
- Almond Flour or Meal | see difference below
- Gluten Free AP Flour | I used this 1-to-1 from Bob’s Red Mill (may use all oat flour and omit AP flour if desired)
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sea Salt | Depending on how salty your almond butter is you may need a bit more salt. I used ¾ of a teaspoon and then topped them with a little flaky sea salt.
- Almonds, Pecans or Walnuts | omit if you prefer no nuts, I used almonds
- Dried Cranberries | try substituting with raisins, dried cherries or dried blueberries too
- Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips | if VEGAN then be sure they are dairy free
- Hemp Hearts | Adds a a healthy, nutty flavor as well as protein to these Healthy Gluten Free Cookies.
What’s the Difference between Almond Flour and Almond Meal?
Almond meal and almond flour are terms that are often used interchangeably. The main difference between almond meal vs almond flour can be how fine the grind is, with almond flour being finer and almond meal being slightly coarser. In some cases, almond meal is made out of the whole raw almonds, while almond flour is made from peeled almonds.(Source)
Let’s Make 1 Bowl Gluten Free Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 or 375 for high altitude and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. In the bowl of a mixer or large bowl, mash bananas, then add pumpkin puree, almond butter, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in agave, vanilla and coconut oil and mix until smooth.
- Add oats, almond flour, oat flour and GF AP Flour
- Mix in chopped almonds, dried cranberries, chocolate chips and if desired hemp hearts.
- Using a tablespoon or a medium cookie scoop drop cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet. These cookies won’t spread much, if desired, press down lightly to flatten tops.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes for sea level, 375 degrees 13-15 minutes for High Altitude Gluten Free Cookies. Cool on pan for two minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
The cookies will be soft, almost banana bread like.
Can I freeze Gluten Free Banana Oatmeal Cookies?
YES! I froze about a dozen for another time, thawed on the counter, delish.
Make a double batch and freeze one. Great for lunch boxes or mid-morning snacks!
High Altitude Adjustments
Increase heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 13-15 minutes until tops spring back when you lightly touch them.
VEGAN GLUTEN FREE BREAKFAST COOKIES
If following a strict vegan diet; make sure you use agave nectar or maple syrup and dairy-free chocolate chips.
Substitution Options for Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies
- Instead of almond butter; try peanut butter, cashew butter or even sun butter for a nut free version!
- Use maple syrup or honey in equal amounts in place of agave
- If not gluten free, replace oat and AP flour with whole-wheat flour or all oat flour
- Almond Meal | if nut free, replace with oat flour
- Try chopped pecans, walnuts, peanuts or other nut or omit completely.
- Use any dried fruit desired, may increase if desired or may omit entirely
- Instead of Hemp hearts, replace with flax seeds or flax meal
My husband and kids devoured these cookies!
I asked them about the saltiness and they agreed on the first batch they could have had a bit more salt, on the second batch I increased the salt to 1 teaspoon and sprinkled a tiny bit of flaky sea salt on top. Delicious!
If you would like to see more healthy recipes like this one, pop down under the recipe and leave me a comment!
More gluten free goodies:
- Gluten Free Coffee Cake (best coffee cake ever!)
- Best Ever Banana Bread (GF Option)
- Double Crumb Apple Crumb Cake (GF Option)
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp (GF Option)
- Best Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars (+ GF Option)
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.