Prosciutto & Gruyere Quiche with a hash brown crust is filled with creamy eggs, Gruyère cheese, caramelized leeks, peppers, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and prosciutto. A real crowd pleaser and gluten free to boot. Perfect for Sunday Brunch, Easter, Mother’s Day, a Ladies Luncheon or whenever you feel like it. Want it vegetarian? Simply omit the meat!
A DELICIOUS HASH BROWN CRUST QUICHE
Looking for a tasty, go to Quiche that both women and MEN will love!? Why is it that they say “real men don’t eat Quiche” anyway? I’m married to a real man, a “guy’s, guy” a manly man and he likes Quiche! I’m thinking if you load it with good stuff and bake it in a hash brown crust you might just have some manly converts. This is a mash-up of my favorite Quiche by the Pioneer Woman and an old recipe I’ve had for years with a hash brown crust.
How to Make a Hash Brown Crust
Start by making your crust, prep a 9 inch spring form pan. Cut out a parchment circle (maybe even slightly larger than bottom of pan, created a “well”) for the bottom and spray with non-stick oil, then cut out a couple of strips and line the edges of the pan with parchment as well. If you spray the pan before hand it will help the parchment stick.
BAKING TIP | You can make this in a deep dish pie pan, you might need to reduce some of your ingredients depending on the size of the pan.
SPRINGFORM PAN TIPS
Make sure your springform pan is put together tightly and correctly. Test it before putting anything in the pan by adding a cup of water to the pan. If it leaks, reposition the bottom and the sides and try again, if it still leaks, you might try lining the pan as a whole with parchment paper, it won’t be as pretty, but at least it won’t leak eggs all over your oven, stove and floor…like mine did one time!
GET FREE RECIPES FROM THE FRESH COOKY DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Squeeze the water out of the thawed hash browns, in a large bowl; mix egg, melted butter, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Press into springform pan until it comes evenly up the sides.
Bake hash brown crust in preheated 400° oven for 25-35 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
While the crust is baking, prep your filling ingredients.
MAKING THE QUICHE
In a large skillet (I love Lodge Cast Iron pans!), over medium heat, sauté your leeks, mushrooms, and peppers in butter until golden and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
Once caramelized, scoot to one side and toss in your diced prosciutto ham and crisp fry it quickly, tossing it to crisp all sides.
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, cream, salt and pepper and whisk or blend until smooth and combined.
Next stir in your veggie mixture into the egg mixture. Add your chopped artichoke hearts (marinated or brined, either is fine, just drain first) and last, add your cheese, the mixture will be very thick.
Immediately place into 400º oven and cook for 45-65 minutes until set in the center and golden on top. If it starts getting too brown, cover the top loosely with foil. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Slice and serve warm.
MAKE AHEAD TIP
Making ahead of time? You can make this the day before, keep in pan and refrigerate. Cover loosely with foil and heat until warm in 325° oven, about 30 minutes.
QUICHE INGREDIENT OPTIONS
- Add fresh chopped spinach
- Stir 2 tablespoons pesto into mixture before baking
- Use crisp bacon or cubed ham instead of prosciutto
- Replace Gruyère with Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, Smoked or regular Gouda cheeses (or a mixture)
- Half & half in place of cream
- Omit meat for a vegetarian quiche
Sharing this favorite on Meal Plan Monday
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
HASH BROWN CRUST
- 1 package organic frozen hash browns, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2-1 cup white or baby Portabella mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 small leeks (1 large), rinsed and sliced thinly
- 1/2 small red pepper, washed and diced
- 6 oz jar marinated (or brined) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 8 thin slices prosciutto ham (or bacon, or other ham), diced small
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (or substitute Gouda, Swiss, Cheddar)
- 1 baked hash brown crust
For the Crust
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare a leak-proof springform pan by spraying well with spray oil, then lining with parchment paper (cut out a circle for bottom and strips for sides. Spray again.
- Thaw and squeeze out water from hash browns using paper towels. In a large bowl, mix hash browns, beaten egg, melted (cooled) butter, onion & garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and press into springform pan, on the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden and crispy, remove from oven until quiche prep is done.
For the Quiche
- In a large fry pan, saute the leeks and red peppers in the butter for 10 minutes or so, add the mushrooms and saute for another couple minutes. Push veggies to one side of pan and add chopped prosciutto and crisp cook quickly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, cream, salt and pepper, mix well until creamy. Stir sauteed veggies, artichoke hearts, cheese and prosciutto into the egg mixture, it will be very thick. Place your crust on a parchment cookie sheet (just in case it leaks) and pour egg mixture into crust.
- Immediately place into preheated 400° oven and bake uncovered 45 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and continue to bake another 10-20 minutes until golden brown and firm in center. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- May be made ahead of time, cooled completely, covered and refrigerated. When ready to reheat, cover with foil and place in 325 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until heated through.
Optional Add-Ins | Fresh chopped spinach * Stir 2 tablespoons pesto into egg mixture * Use crisp bacon or cubed ham instead of prosciutto * Replace Gruyere with Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, Smoked or regular Gouda cheeses (or a mixture) * Half & half in place of cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO SteeL 9-Inch Better Wire Whisk
- Nordic Ware, Pan Bakers Half Sheet Non Stick 18x13
- Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack
- Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
- Anchor Hocking 2 Quart Glass Batter Bowl With Lid (81106L11)
- JAMIE OLIVER Round Springform Cake Tin, 9 Inches, Nonstick
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 468Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 272mgSodium: 1492mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate.