A bodacious baked chicken quesadilla bursting with caramelized peppers and onions, filled with a mixture of chicken, parmesan, goat, cheddar and cream cheeses.
I love a good appetizer, in fact, I could eat appetizers for dinner most nights, I love the variety and small bites. Like these amazing cheese dips or this creamy white queso, mmmmm! Great for a family dinner, sporting event, game day, dinner party, potluck; anywhere you can use a heavy appetizer.
Back in my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) days, we moms were desperate for simple, filling, quick meals; whether it was for simple entertaining or for our families. We have a cookbook filled with wonderful recipes like this one; my creative and very talented friend, Allison was the contributor of this beauty.
SIDE NOTE | If you have little ones (infants – preschool ages) and are not involved in a moms group, stop what you are doing and look one up, get involved. These precious woman are still in my life, encouraging, consoling, laughing, crying and praying for me.
Chicken Quesadilla Ingredients
The original recipe calls for the amounts shown below, but it makes a lot, normally I’ll cut the recipe in half. I added goat cheese which wasn’t in the original recipe. Oh how I love goat cheese; creamy, filled with flavor, a slight tang…my mouth is watering. Have you tried smoked goat cheese, wowza!!!
How to Caramelize Peppers & Onions
This is the prettiest part of the quesadilla, because after all, quesadillas in general are pretty bland looking. In fact, you can make your caramelized onions and peppers ahead of time and warm them before assembling your quesadillas.
Slice peppers and onions, pour a tablespoon or so of olive oil into a saute pan and over medium heat. Cover and cook the peppers and onions, stirring occasionally until they boast a bodacious caramelized color. You may need to turn your heat down, watch them and stir occasionally. Though a few krispies are never bad!
While your onions and peppers are doing their caramel-y thing; place your softened cream cheese, rotisserie chicken, parmesan, cheddar and goat cheese (optional) in a mixer bowl (stand mixer or handheld, either works) and mix until cheese is smooth and chicken has become part of the “batter”.
Set aside until ready to spread onto tortillas. Preheat oven to 425° F. May also be made ahead of time, keep refrigerated until ready to use and bring to room temp for about 20 minutes prior to assembling the quesadillas.
Cheesy Chicken Mixture
Once the peppers and onions are finished and you’ve made your cheesy chicken mixture, spray the bottom of two tortillas (any size desired, mine were about 10 in) with spray oil (may be baked dry as well) and place on cookie sheet. Spread a healthy ¼ – 1/2 cup of chicken cheesy mixture on top of the tortilla.
Place some of the caramelized veggies on top of the chicken mixture and spread evenly.
Top with another tortilla, pressing down slightly and spray with spray oil. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes until crispy, cool for 1 minute before cutting.
CAN I PAN FRY OR GRILL THE QUESADILLAS?
Absolutely! Quesadillas may also be pan fried if you want to avoid turning on your oven or even grilled! Place an older baking sheet*, baking stone, or sheet of heavy aluminum on your grill, with grill at medium heat, place tortillas on pan for 6 minutes or so per side, watching closely. *Note | depending on your grill your baking sheet or stone may become blackened, so I recommend using one you are not using much anymore.
Cut into 4 or 6 triangles, I’ve found it’s so easy cutting quesadillas using my pizza cutter! Serve immediately!
Quesadillas may also be baked in a skillet or griddle the traditional way, melt a little butter into a medium hot pan and sizzle until browned, turn and repeat the process on the other side.
If you like this recipe, give these other cheese-y recipes a try!
- Cheese Enchiladas
- Easy Calzones
- Blackberry Chicken Salad with Fried Goat Cheese
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken Bowls
- Cinco de Mayo Recipe Collection
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
A bodacious quesadilla bursting with caramelized peppers and onions, filled with tender chicken and a mixture of parmesan, goat, sharp cheddar and cream cheeses.
- 2-3 cups rotisserie chicken breast (torn into pieces, mixer will shred)
- 2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened (may use Neufchatel cheese to lower calorie content)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ small log goat cheese, try smoked, herbed or plain
- 3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow), sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 TBL olive oil
- 16 10" flour tortillas (smaller or large may be used)
- Slice onions and peppers. Toss in heated pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Saute until caramelized and golden in color.
- While onions and peppers are sautéing place cream cheese in mixer and beat until smooth.
- Add Parmesan, Cheddar and Goat cheeses and mix
- Add chicken and mix in, mixer will shred it to make a chicken cheesy paste.
- Spray the bottom of two 10" flour tortillas with olive or vegetable oil, place oil side down on cookie sheet.
- Spread ¼ - ½ cup of chicken cheesy mixture on top of tortilla, not quite all the way to the edge.
- Grab some of the caramelized peppers and onions and spread evenly over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Place another tortilla on top of mixture, pressing down slightly.
- Spray tops with spray oil and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes until crispy. May be pan fried as well, cover with lid though so that mixture is heated all the way through - see notes for grilling tips.
- Cut into 4 or 8 triangles per quesadilla, continuing making until you've used all the mixture.
SUMMER TIP | Quesadillas may also be pan fried if you want to avoid turning on your oven or grilled! Place an older baking sheet , baking stone, or sheet of heavy aluminum on your grill that you don't mind getting blackened, with grill at medium heat, place tortillas on pan for 6 minutes or so per side.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc.