Grab an ice cold glass of milk ’cause these Triple Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies will knock your socks off. A chewy, soft, chocolate chip cookie, filled with three types of chocolate wrapped in a warm pudding dough.
Not another chocolate chip cookie recipe!! Said no one, EVER!
Chocolate chip cookies on steroids, or pudding-oids. These soft, buttery cookies are loaded with chocolate; are gooey, chewy, with a hint of oatiness and topped with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, they are so very delicious.
I find myself making chewy chocolate chip cookies at least 2-3 times a month for one reason or another, so naturally I occasionally search for something a little different to add to my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe collection (yes, I have a collection) and I am SO glad I found and made these! You might also try, these and these.
Ingredients for Vanilla Pudding Cookies
- BUTTER | Always use real butter in cookies, blends that are soft coming out of the fridge will yield different results.
- LIGHT BROWN SUGAR | Lends the warm, caramel undertones to the cookies
- INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING MIX | This is what makes these vanilla pudding cookies!
- EGGS | I use large eggs in all my baking
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR | I use unbleached, organic all purpose flour, regular flour may be used
- OAT FLOUR | Adds a bit more chewiness, but this is optional
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS | Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or chunks, Milk Chocolate and MIni Chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
Starting with quality ingredients, place your soft butter and and brown sugar in the bowl of a mixer and mix on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
Now would also be a good time to preheat your oven to 350° and prep your baking sheets with parchment paper.
While you are creaming the butter and sugar, measure your all-purpose and oat flour into a medium bowl, adding your baking soda, baking powder and flaked sea salt*, stirring with a whisk to combine.
TFC TIP | You may substitute regular salt (fine or kosher) for the flaked sea salt, but if you have never tried this on your cookies, what are you waiting for?
Add in the dry pudding mix, on medium speed mix for an additional minute.
With your mixer on low or stir, slowly pour in your flour mixture, mixing until just combined, scraping sides if needed.
WHAT ABOUT THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS!?
Here’s where it really gets fun! I did a “chocolate chip cleanout”.
Do you ever had 1/2 a package leftover from a recipe, then your kids and husband sneak into the bag, so now you’ve got a 1/4 of a bag?? No? Just me? Well, that’s okay, it’s how my family rolls.
I had several partial bags of mini chips, dark chocolate chunks, milk chocolate chips and a small handful of M&M Mini’s, so I tossed them in, just make sure you end up with 3 cups total. Give these combinations a try; white chocolate, butterscotch, mint (not with butterscotch, ew!) or toffee bits.
With your mixer on low or stir, incorporate your chocolate chip concoction evenly into the batter.
Drool alert! Look at the batter!
Using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons, which is about 1/4 cup of cookie dough!) or if you need to stretch the recipe a bit further, then use a medium cookie scoop; yielding slightly less than double the amount of cookies.
Bake at 350º 10-12 minutes for large cookies or 8-9 minutes for smaller cookies. Edges should be set and just barely starting to turn golden.
The centers will seem under-done, that’s just how you want them, don’t over bake them. Cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
What are you waiting for? Grab that ice cold glass of milk (or almond milk or a latte) and dip this baby in; savor, drool, devour, repeat…you’re welcome!
- Substitute the Vanilla Pudding mix with chocolate, butterscotch, white chocolate for a delicious new twist.
- Use a combination of your favorite chips in the cookies, even chop up leftover Halloween candy bars, just make sure you are using about 3 cups of chips/candy.
More Pudding Recipes
TFC Pro Tip
Do not over bake cookies, any cookies, this will cause the cookie to dry out, become more cakey in texture.
Recipe adapted for altitude and personal taste Cookies & Cups,
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
Grab an ice cold glass of milk 'cause these Triple Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies will knock your socks off, they are chocolate chip cookies on steroids, or pudding-oids. These soft, buttery cookies are loaded with chocolate, gooey, chewy, a hint of oatiness and topped with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt; they are so very delicious.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or may increase all-purpose flour to 2 1/2 and omit oat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt (fine or kosher works well too)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Flaky Sea Salt for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350° and prepare your pans with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Place softened butter and and brown sugar in the bowl of a mixer and mix on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- While creaming your butter and sugar, measure your all-purpose flour and oat flour into a medium bowl, adding your baking soda, baking powder and flaked sea salt*, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Add dry pudding mix on medium speed mix for an additional minute.
- Next add your eggs and vanilla, mix until evenly incorporated, about a minute. Scrape sides.
- With mixer on low or stir, slowly pour in your flour mixture, mixing until just combined. On low or stir (or by hand), incorporate your chocolate chip concoction* evenly into the batter.
- Using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons, which is about 1/4 cup of cookie dough!) or if you need to stretch the recipe a bit further, then use a medium sized cooked scoop; yielding slightly less than double the amount of cookies
- Scoop onto parchment lined baking sheets about 12 to a sheet (9 for large cookies). If desired, sprinkle with a little more of that wonderful flaky sea salt.
- Bake at 350º 10-12 minutes for large cookies or 8-9 minutes for smaller cookies.
- Edges should be set and just barely starting to turn golden. The centers will seem under-done, that's just how you want them, don't over bake them.
- Once you remove them from the oven, sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt or Fleur de Sel, if desired.
- Cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container for up to 3-4 days, or I prefer to individually (or by twos) wrap the cookies and store in freezer, then you can easily pop one out and let it thaw or toss in your lunch box.
- Or, what I do most often for the freshest cookies is bake up a dozen or so, enough for my family to enjoy, then freeze the dough balls for later baking.
- Once ready to bake, simply remove the number of desired dough balls, place on prepared cookie sheet and allow to come to room temperature while your oven preheats, bake as directed, but reduce time for about 1 minute. Hot-Fresh-Cookies!
TIP | You may substitute regular salt (fine or kosher) for the flaked sea salt, but if you have never tried salt on your cookies, what are you waiting for?
TIP | Try other flavors of pudding mixes! Why not!? The pudding adds a delightful, tender gooey texture to the cookies.
TIP | Choose your 3 favorite combination of chips! Dark, Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet, Butterscotch, White Chocolate, Mint or even English Toffee Bits would be delicious!
CHRISTMAS PUDDING COOKIES: Try using Andes Mints, White Chocolate and Milk or Dark Chocolate Chips! Sprinkle with a little crushed peppermint or candy canes. Or just use white chocolate chips, seasonal M&M's and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cookie Scoop Set, 3 PCS Ice Cream Scoop with Trigger, 18/8 Stainless
Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack
Le Saunier De Camargue Fleur De Sel Sea Salt, 4.4 Ounce Canisters
Watkins Pure Vanilla Madagascar Extract, 2-Ounce (Pack of 2)
Parchment Paper Baking Sheets by Baker's Signature | 12x16
Nordic Ware, Pan Bakers Half Sheet Non Stick 18x13
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc.
Be part of the Recipe Club!
You have Successfully Subscribed!