As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
I am sharing our favorite family Advent devotional books and Advent calendars for 2022. Plus my favorite advent books for women. Do you choose a new advent book every year, or re-read a treasured one? And I’ve got some great ideas for Christmas Advent Calendars for 2022.
A beautiful retelling of the Christmas store, from the people inside the story! A quick and easy read. The Promise and the Light by Katy Morgan. I loved it, you can read a chapter a day, or read it like a novel. It’s written for kids from 8-12, but honestly, I guess it brings the kid out in me.
I have also ordered The Dawn of Redeeming Grace by Sinclair B. Ferguson and very much look forward to reading that each day.
When Is Advent 2022
The dates of advent each year, are the last Sunday in November through Christmas day. Advent season 2022 is November 27, 2022 and goes through December 25, 2022.
What Is Advent?
Many understand that Advent is celebrated starting the fourth Sunday before Christmas, but what IS Advent?
Some people may know that the Advent season focuses on expectation and think that it serves as an anticipation of Christ’s birth in the season leading up to Christmas. This is part of the story, but there’s more to Advent.
The word “Advent” is derived from the Latin word adventus, meaning “coming,” which is a translation of the Greek word parousia. Scholars believe that during the 4th and 5th centuries in Spain and Gaul, Advent was a season of preparation for the baptism of new Christians at the January feast of Epiphany, the celebration of God’s incarnation represented by the visit of the Magi to the baby Jesus (Matthew 2:1), his baptism in the Jordan River by John the Baptist (John 1:29), and his first miracle at Cana (John 2:1). During this season of preparation, Christians would spend 40 days in penance, prayer, and fasting to prepare for this celebration; originally, there was little connection between Advent and Christmas.Source
Family Advent Devotional
Obviously, this can vary from person to person, so this list is a list of MY favorite family Advent devotional books for 2022 many can be done as a family, others can be done individually.
I would love to hear what your favorites are as well! Please comment below.
Favorite Christmas Advent Calendars for 2022
Here are a few advent calendars for kids, because counting down each day is plain fun!
- Cloth Advent Calendar | The kids will love to move the shepherd as advent moves towards Christmas, counting down the days. Don’t forget this sweet book to go with it, The Shepherd on the Search!
- Sticker Advent Calendar | a simple, great reminder, you can get one for each child!
- Little People Advent Nativity | For years our boys enjoyed this hands on nativity.
- Chocolate Advent Calendar | always a fun little treat and reminder of each day counting down to Christmas.
- When our boys were young, we did more of a traditional advent wreath and calendar, but I also usually caved and bought them a Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar.
Favorite Online Advent Studies for Women
These are a few that I have done and always get so much out of them, they are new every year.
- First5 App | a free online app with daily, short devotions
- Proverbs 31 Ministries | online, daily email or app, also free
- Ann Voskamp | online, daily email, always so encouraging and fresh, free
- She Reads Truth | Daily online free devotional, App
“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.” John 3:16 (the Message)
Food and Advent Ideas
While you sit down to enjoy an advent adventure together, here are a few recipes you might enjoy:
- Bread and Butter Pot Roast | start in the morning, enjoy a simple tasty dinner.
- Crockpot London Broil | Another start in the afternoon, easy dinner.
- Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya | this not spicy hot Jambalaya is a family favorite.
- Make some classic cutout cookies (or try this Oatmeal variation) together and talk about one of the devotions while cutting out or decorating the cookies.
- Enjoy some festive Cranberry Spritzers by the fire, or make this White Hot Chocolate or regular hot chocolate.
- Make up a batch of these Crockpot Peanut Clusters, then package them and gift them (free Christmas gift tags) to friends, teachers and neighbors.
Whatever you do this Christmas, I hope you experience the HOPE, PEACE and JOY that the name Immanuel, God with us brings! Be sure to comment with your favorite family advent devotional books and calendars too!
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.