The best family Christmas Advent books, Advent devotionals, and Advent calendars for 2023. Do you choose a new advent book every year or re-read a treasured one? Plus, I have some great ideas for Christmas Advent Calendars 2023.
Carefully Curated Advent Books and Advent Devotionals
A beautiful retelling of the Christmas story, from the people inside the story! A quick and easy read. The Promise and the Light by Katy Morgan. I loved it, you can read a chapter a day, or read it like a novel. It’s written for kids from 8-12, but honestly, I guess it brings the kid out in me.
I just received The Christmas Devotional: Hope and Humor for the Holidays and An Unlikely Advent: Extraordinary People of the Christmas Story — both I know I am going to love! But read on, there’s so much more!
When Is Advent 2023?
Advent always starts the 4th Sunday before Christmas, this year the Advent season 2023 is December 3 through December 24, 2023.
What Is Advent?
Many understand that Advent is celebrated starting the fourth Sunday before Christmas, but what IS Advent?
Some people may know that the Advent season focuses on expectation and think that it serves as an anticipation of Christ’s birth in the season leading up to Christmas. This is part of the story, but there’s more to Advent.
The word “Advent” is derived from the Latin word adventus, meaning “coming,” which is a translation of the Greek word parousia. Scholars believe that during the 4th and 5th centuries in Spain and Gaul, Advent was a season of preparation for the baptism of new Christians at the January feast of Epiphany, the celebration of God’s incarnation represented by the visit of the Magi to the baby Jesus (Matthew 2:1), his baptism in the Jordan River by John the Baptist (John 1:29), and his first miracle at Cana (John 2:1). During this season of preparation, Christians would spend 40 days in penance, prayer, and fasting to prepare for this celebration; originally, there was little connection between Advent and Christmas.Source
Advent Books and Advent Devotionals for the family
This can vary from person to person, so this list is a list of MY favorite family Advent books for 2023 many can be done as a family, and others can be done individually and some are to ready with your children or grandchildren.
I would love to hear what your favorites are as well! Please comment below.
Favorite Christmas Advent Calendars for 2023
Here are a few advent calendars for kids and adults, because counting down each day is plain fun!
Advent Calendars for Adults & Kids at Heart
- Puzzle lovers? How about this Puzzle Advent Calendar? Love it!
- For the woodland lovers! This LL Bean Advent Calendar (reusable year after year)
- A sweet treat for every day of Advent, this fun Advent calendar from Bonne Mamam 23 mini spreads and 1 honey!
- Start your Christmas gifting early with this Harry & David Advent calendar filled with sweet treats.
- The Christmas popcorn advent calendar is sizzling!
- Tea Lovers Advent Calendar, surprise a friend or loved one with a new warm sip daily.
- Auntie’s Advent Cookie Cookbook – I couldn’t resist!
Best Advent Calendars for Kids
- The Wonder of the Greatest Gift: An Interactive Family Celebration of Advent by Ann Voskamp, a beautifully written and illustrated advent calendar.
- Play-Doh Advent Calendar | Keep those little hands busy for a few minutes while you sip a steaming Christmas Morning Chai Tea latte.
- Cloth Advent Calendar | The kids will love to play the Nativity out day by day, as Advent moves towards Christmas, counting down the days.
- Sticker Advent Calendar | a simple, great reminder, you can get one for each child!
- How darling is this Thomas the Train advent calendar?
- Little People Advent Nativity | For years our boys enjoyed this hands-on nativity.
- Chocolate Advent Calendar | always a fun little treat and reminder of each day counting down to Christmas.
- When our boys were young, we did more of a traditional advent wreath and calendar, but I also usually caved and bought them a Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar 2023.
Head over to my shop page to see and shop all of these fun items!
Favorite Online Advent Studies for Women
These are a few that I have done and always get so much out of them, they are new every year.
- First5 App | a free online app with daily, short devotions
- Proverbs 31 Ministries | online, daily email or app, also free
- Ann Voskamp | online, daily email, always so encouraging and fresh, free
- She Reads Truth | Daily online free devotional, App
“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.” John 3:16 (the Message)
Food and Advent Ideas
While you sit down to enjoy an advent adventure together, here are a few recipes you might enjoy:
- Bread and Butter Pot Roast | start in the morning, enjoy a simple tasty dinner.
- Crockpot 3-Ingredient Chicken | Crazy easy and so good!
- Crockpot London Broil | Another start in the afternoon, easy dinner.
- Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya | this not spicy hot Jambalaya is a family favorite.
- Make some classic cutout cookies (or try this Oatmeal variation) together and talk about one of the devotions while cutting out or decorating the cookies.
- Enjoy some festive Cranberry Spritzers by the fire, or make this White Hot Chocolate or regular hot chocolate.
- Make up a batch of these Crockpot Peanut Clusters, then package them and gift them (free Christmas gift tags) to friends, teachers and neighbors.
What are your favorite Advent Books?
What are your favorite Advent books or Advent Devotionals, I would love to hear and possibly add them to my own reading list.
Whatever you do this Christmas, I hope you experience the HOPE, PEACE and JOY that the name Immanuel, God with us brings! Be sure to comment with your favorite family advent devotional books and calendars too!