As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Old-fashioned Oatmeal Sugar Cookies an easy sugar cookie cutout recipe. All of the deliciousness of a regular rolled sugar cookie with the addition of oats that lends a delightful chewiness. Frosted or unfrosted, these cookies are so delicious! And are perfect if you are looking for Oatmeal Christmas Cookies!
If you are looking for cookie recipes for cookie cutters, this is a fun and unique recipe that adds the nuttiness of oats to the dough, while still getting the delicious crunch for a Christmas sugar cookie.
Oatmeal Christmas Cookies
Everywhere I look, I see cookies, cookies, cookies! I love it! Today is a new favorite for me…Special Edition Freaky Friday created by the talented Michaela of An Affair from the Heart; so much talent, and great recipes! Go and check her blog out.
Freaky Friday is a blog hop that a bunch of my blogger buddies and I do once per season, and one unique one that we do before Christmas. Where the blog hop centers around holiday treats.
Perfect for holiday cookie exchanges, neighbor gifts or nibbling by the fire with a steamy cup of cocoa.
We are secretly assigned to another blog to bake from, then today, all at the same time, we reveal our recipe and the blogger that we had. It’s a great way for us to get a fantastic new recipe and for you to meet some great food bloggers you may not have otherwise ever met!
Scroll down to the bottom for a list of all of the bloggers, but go slow; you do not want to miss this!
Are you ready for the big reveal!? We have a lot in common; we share a German heritage, and the love of sharing family-friendly, easy and delicious recipes! Amy of House of Nash Eats — you girl, are the bomb!
I am so impressed. She is so talented, I want to be like her when I grow up! Go ahead, click on the above link and pop over to her blog and take a gander, sign up for her newsletter, I’ll wait!
I couldn’t decide on which fabulous holiday treat to replicate. I was so tempted by the Double Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies, my boys would LOVE them (they are still on my to-bake list), or her Soft & Chewy Molasses Cookies, and on the savory side, an easy weeknight dinner Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala.
In the end, I chose her Oatmeal Rolled Sugar Cookies, because they are unique, and it was her grandmother’s recipe (those are the best) and I adore anything OATMEAL.
TIPS for Oatmeal Sugar Cookies!
- Make the dough ahead of time, ready to roll when you are!
- Freezer friendly, make a couple batches and pop them in the freezer.
- They hold their shape!
- Come on, who doesn’t love oatmeal cookies!
As always, the full list of ingredients and instructions are in the handy printable recipe card at the end of the post.
- BUTTER | Use real butter here, no blends, salted or unsalted work great!
- SUGAR | I used all natural cane sugar, white sugar works fine too!
- EGGS | I use large eggs in all of my baking for consistency.
- FLOUR | Essential of course, I use unbleached all-purpose flour.
- EXTRACTS | Vanilla extract and Almond, you can also do all or or the other.
- OATS | Not instant or quick cooking here, you want the full oat!
How to Make Cut Out Sugar Cookies with Oatmeal
Cream the butter and sugar well, on the longer side if you are using all-natural cane sugar as the grain is more coarse. Add egg, one at a time and blend well.
Next, pour in the vanilla extract and almond extract, then slowly add flour mixture and oats, mixing on low until blended.
I like the separate the dough into a couple different portions, wrap and refrigerate for a at least 2 hours. The dough may also be frozen up to 3 months at this point!
When ready to roll out the rolled oat cookies?
I made these and had my girlfriends test them, as well as my family. I had to fight for one cookie! They were a huge hit. Dress them up with some of this amazing buttercream frosting — Amy’s delicious buttercream is also included in the recipe!
Amy talks about her grandmother putting the frosting between and sandwiches two cookies together!
Next batch, I am there, I am all about a good sandwich cookie! Well, Amy and I, we have a lot in common, we like cookies! They will become your new favorite too!
I sure hope you love and try these oatmeal Christmas cookies, they will add a fun twist to your holiday table!
Check out my other cookies to compliment your holiday dessert table!
- Holiday M & M Chewy Cookies
- Koulourakia (Greek Butter Cookies)
- Pan Banging Sugar Cookies
- Andes Mint Fudge Brownies
- Classic Scottish Shortbread Cookies
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Take a look at all of our 2019 Freaky Friday Holiday Cookie Exchange Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Bowl Me Over – Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- Hostess at Heart –Pan Banging Homemade Sugar Cookie Recipe
- House of Nash Eats – Lime Meltaways
- Life Currents – Peanut Butter Coffee Cake
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Chocolate Cashew Candies
- Or Whatever You Do – Caramel Pecan Bites
- Take Two Tapas – Chocolate Fudge with Almonds and Coconut
- The Fresh Cooky – Oatmeal Rolled Sugar Cookies
- The Speckled Palate – Shortbread Brown Butter Cookies
About Kathleen Pope
Recipe Innovator | Food Photographer | Food Writer
Hi, I’m Kathleen Pope. Here at The Fresh Cooky you will find easy, mostly from-scratch, trusted recipes for all occasions. From speedy dinners to tasty desserts, with easy step-by-step instructions. I am here to help teach you how to make mouthwatering recipes without spending hours in the kitchen. Read more about Kathleen here.