As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Even non-asparagus fans will LOVE this recipe for no fail, roasted asparagus cheese bake! It’s a snap to make, 5 minute prep, 20 minutes in the oven — perfect cheesy asparagus every time!
A no fail, easy asparagus cheese bake recipe, that yields perfect results every time. Plus it’s a fabulous low carb side dish recipe and naturally gluten free! Woot!
HOW TO PICK THE BEST ASPARAGUS
Whether you find thick or thin asparagus, it’s not the size that matters; thick asparagus is just more mature than the thin variety, not necessarily better tasting.
Look for bright green or violet-tinged spears with firm (not limp) stems. Make sure the tips are closed and compact. When the bunch is squeezed, it should squeak a bit.
HOW TO PREPARE ASPARAGUS FOR COOKING
This tall, skinny, green stalk-y vegetable can make many break out into a cold sweat. I was in that camp also for the longest time, until I realized how best to prepare asparagus by following these simple steps.
- Rinse well and pat dry, since asparagus is harvested from the ground it can be pretty dirty.
- TRIMMING | Hold the asparagus stalk from the end and gently but firmly bend the top until it “snaps” off, this will remove the woody end and leave only the tender portion, if even ends are desired, do this with the first one, then line up the rest of the bunch and use a knife to trim to the same length.
- Peel the skin | Peeling reveals the more tender portion of the asparagus, removing the stringy outside, using a peeler, hold it flat and gently peel off the outer skin. Personally, I have never done this on my asparagus.
Ingredients For Cheesy Garlic Roasted Asparagus
- 2 lbs asparagus stalks, trimmed
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Red Pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Crispy bacon or Crispy fried onions for garnish (optional)
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste (I added just a touch)
READY, SET, ROAST!
The dish used in the pictures is one of my favorites, I bought it from a friend, they are a bit pricey, but is beautiful, light, even-cooking baking dish!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash, pat dry and trim asparagus and place in a lightly sprayed 9×13 inch baking dish or casserole (may also be placed on a greased sheet pan).Sprinkle with minced garlic.
- Pour heavy cream over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle with parmesan, mozzarella and gruyere cheeses.
- Add some red pepper flakes if used, a tiny bit of salt or pepper.
- Sprinkle crispy bacon pieces or crispy fried onions.
- Bake until cheese is golden and melty and asparagus is tender, start checking about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
WHAT DOES ASPARAGUS PAIR WELL WITH?
Glad you asked, in my opinion asparagus goes well with just about anything you decide to make it with, however; here are some suggestions:
- Salmon or fish of any kind, it’s a wonderful compliment.
- Special Occasions | Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother’s Day – it is delicious with turkey, ham or beef.
- Fabulous with anything grilled, whether it’s burgers (why not!), chicken, kababs, steak or a pork loin! Grill it up right along with your main dish.
- Casseroles | you bet, even with breakfast or brunch!
- And we have all seen it bundled as a beautiful appetizer! It stands on it’s own!
CAN I MAKE CHEESY ASPARAGUS BAKE AHEAD OF TIME?
This is one dish I do not recommend you baking ahead of time and reheat. Asparagus is tender you won’t want it to become tough. My suggestions are:
- Wash, trim and dry your asparagus and if room in your fridge, lay out in a layer in the pan.
- Mince the garlic, cover and set aside.
- Shred all of your cheeses and place in separate containers with asparagus.
- Pre-measure the cream, set aside in fridge.
- Then once you are ready, it literally takes less than two minutes to assemble!
CAN I FREEZE ASPARAGUS CHEESE BAKE?
You can freeze fresh asparagus, however; I do not recommend you freeze the pre-made or finished baked asparagus. The cheese and cream will separate, causing a curdled appearance. Won’t hurt you, just won’t look pretty.
To freeze asparagus, trim, wash and dry stalks. Place in freezer baggie or airtight container, freezing in one layer.
Here are several other easy asparagus recipes you might enjoy!
And a few other top notch Make Ahead Holiday Sides!
- Wild Rice Supreme (Chicken and Wild Rice Bake)
- Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Ever
- Turkey Giblet Gravy (don’t wrinkle your nose until you’ve tried it!)
- Best Potatoes Gratin (crazy delicious!)
I hope you enjoyed all of the recipes from Holiday Side Dish Week this week. Pop down below for even more fabulous Holiday sides from some of my favorite food bloggers!
Holiday Side Dish Recipes:
- Air Fried Green Beans with Crispy Onions by West Via Midwest
- Apple and Kohlrabi Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Bacon by Lemon Blossoms
- Buttery Pearl Barley Mushroom Pilaf by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesy Asparagus Bake by The Fresh Cooky
- Couscous with Cumin and Pine Nuts by Shockingly Delicious
- Cranberry Pecan Cornbread Mini Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Creamed Corn by Savory Experiments
- Creamy Cheesy Brussel Sprouts with Bacon by Blogghetti
- Farro Salad with Apples, Arugula & Feta by Sweet Beginnings
- Lemon and Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Palatable Pastime
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes by Family Around the Table
- Persimmon Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette by The Foodie Affair
- Rice Pilaf with Dried Cranberries and Almonds by An Affair from the Heart
- Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese and Pecans by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples by Devour Dinner
- Sausage Stuffing by House of Nash Eats
- Wild Rice and Broccoli Casserole by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Wild Rice and Sprouts Pilaf by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
If you enjoyed this delish cheesy baked asparagus, please pop into the recipe below and give it a 5-star rating!
PIN to your Favorite Holiday Sides Board!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!