Easy Grilled Chicken Shawarma Bowls are out of this world! Engaging all the senses with chicken marinated in bright, healthy spices, then grilled to tender tasty perfection. A low carb, delicious and filling meal.
Served atop a bed of couscous (or keep it gluten free using quinoa or rice) and topped with crisp cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, artichoke hearts and drizzled with a light garlic yogurt sauce.
EASY GRILLED CHICKEN SHAWARMA BOWLS
I love recipes like Shawarma Chicken; with only a few minutes prep, you can have multiple freezer meals. In fact this recipe is on repeat in our family! It’s that GOOD!
It’s so fresh, bright and is bursting with Mediterranean colors and flavors.
A heart healthy recipe using simple marinade ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboard!
Prepping for Shawarma Chicken
Double or triple the recipe for the marinade or just the spices; freezing once you’ve added the chicken.
Cut your breasts in half, lengthwise (not necessary with thighs). Then place your chicken breasts in a sturdy gallon baggie (I like freezer baggies, they are a bit thicker).
Using a meat mallet (I’ve had this one forever!) Pound chicken until they are all about 1/2 inch thick. Try boneless, skinless chicken thighs too!! Sooo tender!
In a small bowl combine the marinade ingredients. Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, garlic cloves, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, kosher salt (my favorite), and pepper to taste; mix well.
MAKE MULTIPLE BATCHES FOR FREEZER MEALS
If making multiple batches, place pounded chicken in separate baggies in increments large (or small) enough to feed your family.
Then multiply your marinade ingredients according to the number of batches/pounds. Example: 2 batches = 2 lbs chicken = double the marinade.
Squeeze out as much air from the baggie before sealing, then squish marinade around to evenly coat the chicken. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, up to overnight in the fridge or freeze.
Lay as flat as possible in the freezer and when ready to grill, simply remove from freezer and allow to thaw in fridge overnight or on the counter for a couple hours.
GARLIC YOGURT SAUCE
It’s that simple! Refrigerate Garlic Yogurt Sauce until ready to use.
Once your Shawarma chicken has hung out in the marinade for an hour or more, fire up your grill or grill pan to medium heat and prep your toppings for your bowls. But first, if you want a grain with this meal, get that started.
GET FREE RECIPES FROM THE FRESH COOKY DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
I love serving this dish over couscous, mainly because like saying it! “Just a little grain of couscous”…pretty sure that was from a cartoon my kids watched when they were little.
Not necessary, but enhances the flavors a bit. If you still want to do this and you don’t have a grill pan, try using a sheet of foil on your outside grill. This step is completely optional.
GRILLING SHAWARMA CHICKEN
Over medium-high heat, grill shawarma chicken for 3-4 minutes until it no longer sticks to the grill. Turn and grill an additional 3-4 minutes, remove chicken and allow to rest on a plate for 5 minutes.
SHAWARMA CHICKEN TOPPING SUGGESTIONS
- Slice, dice or shred some cucumbers
- Halve or dice some tomatoes
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- A squeeze of lemon
- Artichoke hearts, quartered (marinated or in brine)
- Sliced red onion or try Pickled Red Onions
- Sliced Kalamata or other Greek olives
After your meat has rested, slice thinly and lay on top of grain.
In individual bowls or plates, lay sliced Shawarma Chicken on a bed of couscous (or other grain); sprinkle on cucumbers, tomatoes and artichoke hearts, feta cheese crumbles and drizzle some of that delicious Garlic Yogurt Sauce. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley (I like flat leaf for this), or cilantro and a wedge of lemon.
Serve as pre-made bowls or allow everyone to assemble their own, like a taco bar. Don’t forget the pita bread or try my homemade naan! Oh those flat breads, I could so easily live in the Mediterranean!
This recipe has been adapted from the Skinny Taste
You’ll feel so good after eating this, that you might even have calories to burn, try this amazing Key Lime Pie for dessert!
If you enjoyed this recipe, TRY these Fresh & Easy Meals!
- Coconut Lime Chicken served with Cilantro Lime Rice
- Greek Quinoa Bowls
- Blackberry Chicken Salad with Fried Goat Cheese
- Nana & Papa’s Famous Flank Steak Marinade
If you enjoyed this recipe would you please leave a comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card.
Hashtag any recipes you make from The Fresh Cooky #thefreshcooky or tag me @thefreshcooky on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
1 pound (2 large) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut in half, lengthwise) Try boneless skinless chicken thighs too
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I like extra virgin)
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
GARLIC YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 small container plain Greek Yogurt (about 7-8 oz)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Couscous, rice pilaf, brown rice or quinoa (cooked) 1 cup serving per person
- Diced or sliced English cucumber
- Diced or halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 can artichoke hearts, halved (brined or marinated, grill if time)
- Feta Cheese (crumble on top)
- Garnish with chopped, fresh, flat leaf parsley (optional)
- Lemon wedge (squeeze over entire ingredients when serving)
- Sliced Red Onions or Pickled Red Onions
- Sliced Greek or Kalamata olives
Prepping the Marinade for Chicken Shawarma
- Slice chicken breasts in half, lengthwise. Place chicken breasts or thighs in sturdy freezer baggie (gallon size). Using a meat mallet (or bottom of a wine bottle or large jar) pound each breast to about 1/2 inch thickness. Careful not to puncture the bag.
- In a medium bowl, combine your olive oil, lemon juice and whisk to combine. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, red pepper, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Pour marinade over chicken in the baggie, squeeze out the air and seal. Squish the marinade to completely cover chicken. Refrigerate for a minimum of an hour up to overnight or freeze for later use.
Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- In a small bowl or container, combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Stir until combined, cover and refrigerate.
Grilling Chicken & Assembling the Bowls
- Once chicken has marinated and you are ready to grill, heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat, oil lightly. Prepare couscous, quinoa, brown rice or rice pilaf according to package directions.
- Grill chicken for 3-4 minutes (4-5 for thigh meat), meat shouldn't stick once it's ready to turn. If using a grill pan, grill your artichoke hearts for a few minutes if desired. Remove and set aside. Turn the chicken and grill an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from grill to plate, covering with foil; allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice it thin. Serve over prepared couscous or other grain. Garnish with sliced cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, artichoke hearts, feta cheese, red onion, olives, etc. Drizzle bowl with garlic yogurt sauce and serve immediately with a lemon wedge and chopped flat leaf parsley or chopped cilantro.
TIP #1 | If you are tight on time, purchase store bought Tzatziki sauce (usually found near the hummus and salsa) in place of the yogurt sauce. Give yourself permission to do that sometimes!
#2 | If you are freezing marinated chicken, squeeze out as much air and lay as flat as possible and freeze. When ready to grill, simply remove from freezer and allow to thaw in fridge overnight or on the counter for a couple hours.
#3| If making more than one batch to freeze for later, place your chicken in separate baggies in 1 lb (more/less depending on family size) increments, simply multiply your marinade ingredients according to the number of batches.
This recipe is adapted from Skinny Taste.
- Lodge LPGI3 Pro-Grid Cast Iron Reversible 20" x 10" Grill/Griddle Pan with Easy-Grip Handles 10" x 20"
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Red Peppers & Cumin Everyday Basics Variety Pack 4 count
- Lodge 10.5 Inch Square Cast Iron Grill Pan. Pre-seasoned Grill Pan with Easy Grease Draining for Grilling Bacon, Steak, and Meats.
- Now Designs Pinch Bowls (Set of 6), Modern Colors
- Whole Foods Market, Organic Vindaloo Curry Seasoning, 2.19 Ounce
- Sweese 1309 Porcelain Salad/Pasta Bowls - 22 Ounce - Set of 6, White
- Frontier Turmeric Root Ground, 1.92-Ounce Bottle
- Wusthof Santoku knife 5 inch; Black
- Redmond Real Salt, Sea Salt Ancient Kosher Pouch, 16 Ounce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 221 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 814mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Protein: 9g