Lemon Shortbread Sandwich Cookies are a light, buttery slice and bake cookie with a bright lemon flavor, they are tender, not overly sweet, with a delicious sweet-tart lemon frosting sandwiched between. These might possibly be my most favorite cookie.
PIN IT NOW FOR LATER
So this week, THIS week; craziness happens in my life. You see, by day I work for our church part-time in Kids Ministry and lead our VBS program; which starts Monday. It’s an extremely busy week with long days and nights; kids ministry worker by day, blogger by night.
These cookies, without a doubt, are worth the effort, they are NOT difficult, they just take a little planning as they need to chill, like hang out in the fridge kind of chill.
HOW TO MAKE THE SLICE AND BAKE LEMON SANDWICH COOKIES
Start by zesting your lemons, sometimes I will do several and freeze the extra zest and juice.
Place softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium-high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add your sea salt (just an ⅛ of a teaspoon if using salted butter) and powdered sugar, start mixer on low, increase to medium once powdered sugar incorporated, for another 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy!
Mix until just combined, scraping down sides as needed.
It’ll be a nice soft dough. Now you divide it up into 2 or 3 portions.
How to Shape Your Refrigerator Cookies
Pull out a piece of plastic wrap and lay flat; plop your portion of dough on it and gently mold. Make it square or round, or a bit of both, depending on your mood. For square, I squared it up as much as I can on my own, then use a couple of boxes (plastic wrap boxes work great) and put gentle pressure on each side of the plastic wrapped dough to create a nice rectangle log. See below…
Works pretty well, those boxes!
Or make it a round, try and make it even if you can, keep rolling and patting the ends.
Now, throw those logs in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes (or overnight as was the case for me).
Once they are firm, remove from the fridge and slice into slightly under ¼ inch, closer to an ⅛ of an inch, it’ll look a bit like a pat of butter. No need to pull out a ruler, unless you are kind of dorky like me.
And the square ones, see that knife in the background, it’s my very, very favorite!!
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place on cookie sheet, you can place fairly close together as these cookies don’t spread much. If desired, poke a pattern of holes using a fork in the tops, but not necessary.
I had 24 squares and 46 rounds, I lost a few to sneaky teen hands, okay I took some too. Remember though cut your numbers in half since they will be sandwiched.
Bake at 300° for about 20 minutes, until barely golden. Cool on pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
How to Make Lemon Cream Frosting
Now let’s get started on the frosting; this delectable, sweet-tart, and luscious lemon-cream frosting, that will be lovingly nestled between two shortbread cookies.
Gently whip and then add lemon juice, until it’s the right consistency.
It doesn’t make a lot, but you don’t need much per cookie, about a teaspoon is all you need.
Using a small spatula spread a small amount of lemon-cream on each cookie.
Match the cookies so that they are about the same sizes, spread a little frosting and top with matching cookie. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar if desired.
Store in airtight container, may be frozen, oh and try not to eat them all, at once!
Give them a try, let me know what you think!
Lemon Sandwich Cookies with Lemon Cream Frosting
Lemon Shortbread Sandwich Cookies are a light, buttery slice and bake cookie with a bright lemon flavor, they are tender, not overly sweet, with a delicious sweet-tart lemon-cream frosting sandwiched between. These might possibly be my favorite cookie.
- Prep Time: 50 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: Approx 36 cookies 1x
- Category: Sandwich Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American Cookie
Lemon Shortbread Slice & Bake Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (salted or unsalted)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (¼ tsp if using unsalted butter)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup cornstarch (non-GMO), sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one large lemon, reserve 1 tsp for frosting
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice of one lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Slice & Bake Sandwich Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, on medium-high speed 2-3 minutes
- Add sea salt and powdered sugar, beat for about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest, scraping down sides. Mix on low just until incorporated.
- Sift in all-purpose flour and cornstarch into the dough, mix on low until just combined.
- Divide dough up into 2-3 sections.
- Place one at a time on a piece of plastic wrap, shape the dough into desired shape.
- Square or round, or whatever shape you desire, see post for how to.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 30-60 minutes, longer if needed. Dough should be firm.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove mixture from fridge once firm, slice into generous ⅛ slices, like a pat of butter.
- Place on cookie sheet close together, they won’t spread.
- Bake at 300 for about 20 minutes until cookies are very lightly golden at the edges.
- Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then carefully move to cooling completely on wire rack.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and zest, cream additional 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add lemon juice until desired tartness and consistency.
- Spoon scant teaspoon of frosting onto cooled cookie slice, place matching cookie on top.
- Place sandwich cookies in airtight container or freeze until ready to eat.
- If desired dust with a little powdered sugar.
Keywords: Lemon, Sandwich Cookie, Shortbread, slice and bake, refrigerator cookie, egg free, Lemon Cream, Frosted, lemon cookies, tea cookies, mothers day cookies