Lemon Sandwich Cookies are a light, buttery, slice and bake cookie with a bright lemon flavor, they are tender, not overly sweet, with a delicious sweet-tart lemon frosting sandwiched between. These might possibly be my most favorite cookie.
Post and pictures updated 5.13.20
Butter Shortbread Cookies with Lemon
These cookies, without a doubt, are worth the effort, they are NOT difficult, they just take a little planning as they need to chill, like hang out in the fridge kind of chill.
HOW TO MAKE SLICE AND BAKE LEMON SANDWICH COOKIES
Place softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium-high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add sea salt (just an ⅛ of a teaspoon if using salted butter) and powdered sugar, start mixer on low, increase to medium once powdered sugar incorporated, for another 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy!
Mix until just combined, scraping down sides as needed.
It’ll be a nice soft dough. Now you divide it up into 2 or 3 portions.
How to Shape Refrigerator Cookies
Place your portion of dough, wrapping in plastic wrap and gently mold. Make it square or round, or a bit of both, depending on your mood. For square, I squared it up as much as I could on my own, then used a couple of boxes (plastic wrap boxes work great) and put gentle pressure on each side of the plastic wrapped dough to create a nice rectangle log.
Works pretty well, those boxes!
Or make it a round, try and make it even if you can, keep rolling and patting the ends.
Now, throw those logs in the fridge for 30-60 minutes (or overnight as was the case for me).
Once the Lemon Sandwich Cookie dough is firm, remove from the fridge and slice into slightly under ¼ inch, closer to an ⅛ of an inch, it’ll look a bit like a pat of butter. No need to pull out a ruler, unless you are kind of dorky like me.
And the square ones, see that knife in the background, it’s my very, very favorite!!
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place on cookie sheet, you can place fairly close together as these cookies don’t spread much. If desired, poke a pattern of holes using a fork in the tops, but not necessary.
I had 24 squares and 46 rounds, I lost a few to sneaky teen hands, okay I took some too. Remember though cut your numbers in half since they will be sandwiched.
Bake at 300° for about 20 minutes, until barely golden. Cool on pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
How to Make Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Now let’s get started on the frosting; this delectable, sweet-tart, and luscious lemon cream frosting, that will be lovingly nestled between two shortbread cookies. In lieu of the frosting, try heaping a dollop of this delectable sweet-tart lemon curd on top or sandwich between two cookies.
Gently whip and then add lemon juice, until it’s the right consistency.
It doesn’t make a lot, but you don’t need much per cookie, about a teaspoon is all you need.
Using a small spatula spread a small amount of lemon-cream on each cookie or place frosting in a piping bag or baggie snip the end and sploosh a button onto the cookie.
Match the cookies so that they are about the same sizes, spread a little frosting and top with matching cookie. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar if desired. Store in airtight container, may be frozen, oh and try not to eat them all, at once!
Lemon Tea Cookies – the BEST!
Give them a try, let me know what you think!
More Bright Recipes to Try
- Glazed Raspberry Blueberry Scones
- Spring Luncheon Menu
- Mother’s Day Brunch Recipes
- Coconut Lime Chicken
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
Lemon Shortbread Slice & Bake Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (salted or unsalted)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (¼ tsp if using unsalted butter)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup cornstarch (non-GMO), sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one large lemon, reserve 1 tsp for frosting
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice of one lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Slice & Bake Sandwich Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, on medium-high speed 2-3 minutes. Add sea salt and powdered sugar, beat for about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon zest, scraping down sides. Mix on low just until incorporated.
- Sift in all-purpose flour and cornstarch into the dough, mix on low until just combined. Divide dough up into 2-3 sections. Place one at a time on a piece of plastic wrap, shape the dough into desired shape. Square or round, or whatever shape you desire, see post for how to.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 30-60 minutes, longer if needed. Dough should be firm.
- Preheat oven to 300° and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove mixture from fridge once firm, slice into generous ⅛ slices, like a pat of butter. Place on cookie sheet close together, they won't spread.
- Bake at 300 for about 20 minutes until cookies are very lightly golden at the edges. Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then carefully move to cooling rack, cooling completely.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar and zest, cream additional 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add lemon juice until desired tartness and consistency. Spoon scant teaspoon of frosting onto cooled cookie slice, place matching cookie on top.
- Place sandwich cookies in airtight container or freeze until ready to eat. If desired dust with a little powdered sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
OXO Good Grips Offset Icing Spatula
Chef'n FreshForce Citrus Juicer (Lemon)
Microplane 46116 Spice Grater - Rasp with Soft Handle - Made in USA - Red
100pcs Unbleached Parchment Paper Baking Liners Sheets
Nordic Ware, Pan Bakers Half Sheet Non Stick 18x13
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc. Nutritional information will change based on used ingredients, quantities used, etc.