As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Apparently I have been living under a rock! This Easy Baked Spaghetti Pie has been around forever and it IS easy and SO delicious! Layers of meat, cheese, a rich tomato sauce and spaghetti, create this spaghetti dinner in pie form!
We invited several of my son’s friends for dinner a few weeks back, they devoured it! And believe me, when teenagers give something a thumbs up, you know it’s good!
Can I freeze the Pie?
Yes! You can assemble it all and freeze it pre-baked!
We all need a few recipes like that during any busy season! Running around during the day, or baking all day, sometimes we just do not have time to think about making dinner!
I love dinners I can make ahead and freeze! Like my Grandpa Frank’s Spaghetti Sauce, so versatile, quick thaw, boil some pasta, toss in some frozen meatballs or sausages and you have dinner!
Simple, Wholesome Ingredients
- Spaghetti (try whole grain or gluten free)
- Ground beef and Italian sausage
- Yellow or sweet onion
- Garlic (must have garlic, this is Italian you know!)
- Crushed tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Italian Seasoning (this is my favorite, cause it has paprika in it!)
- Sea Salt
- Cream Cheese (or Ricotta!)
- Sliced Mozzarella (optional)
- Shredded Italian Cheese
Alternative Ingredients for Spaghetti Pie
- Try a different noodle! Spaghetti works best, but Penne, Rigatoni and others would work well too! You may even be able to use zoodles, use uncooked!
- Omit the meat and make it vegetarian
- Try spicy Italian Sausage
- Add some red pepper flakes if you like it spicy
- Try using different Italian cheeses, or throw caution to the wind and use Jack, Cheddar or your favorite cheese.
- Replace the cream cheese with ricotta making it a bit more like lasagna, or get totally crazy and use cottage cheese!
- Wait for it…add caramelized peppers, squash and onions! GAH!
This is how cooking is meant to be, at least that is how I would like to encourage you to cook!
I don’t have “this” ingredient, that’s okay, substitute something else that is similar. Don’t like an ingredient? Well leave it out, or replace it with something you love. We call it “making it yours!”
P.S. You will notice, there is a section missing cheese, that’s intentional as my youngest doesn’t like “melty” cheese!
Recommended Tools for Baked Spaghetti Pie
- Large heavy bottomed saucepan
- 9-10 in Springform Pan, 9″ Deep Dish Pie Plate or double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 Baking Dish.
- A good wooden spoon, love this set!
- Tin foil and a half sheet pan in case your pan leaks or overflows
- A good serving spatula! These are my favorites, large and small
Make it your way! I made it my way! The original recipe is adapted from A Spicy Perspective you should check out her blog! So fun!
Serve Spaghetti Pie with:
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Crisp Green or Caesar Salad or try this Yummy Mediterranean Dip.
- Tiramisu for dessert! Oh yeah! Also a make ahead treat!
- Swish it all down with a Blood Orange G & T
Let me know how you make it your own? Comment below at the very end of the post!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!