Creamy chicken salad, bursting with fresh grapes, toasted crunchy almonds, fresh green onions in a flavorful sherry dressing. Why is it that I feel as if Chicken Salad is reserved for Spring and Summer? For some reason, this is the time of year that I start to crave this creamy, chunky, crunchy and satisfying salad! But it’s delicious anytime of year!
I collected this recipe from a friend that I met while we lived for a short time back in the Washington DC area. She’s a marvelous cook and I have numerous recipes from her during our time back there, those recipes hold a special meaning to me. She was a friendly face during a tumultuous time in our lives and I am so grateful for her!
This recipe is perfect to make on the weekend, then you can nosh on it all week long. Change it up each day; place a scoop or two on a bed of great lettuce, garnish with some celery sticks, a little bunch of grapes, or eat with crackers, on a croissant, some whole wheat bread, or in a pita or a yummy roll!
Or make it for a luncheon with a variety of breads and crackers allowing people to make their own.
In a large mixing bowl, add your chopped or shredded chicken. Chop your green onions, halve your grapes, toss in your toasted* slivered, almonds, chop celery, if desired.
How to Toast Almonds
Next, make your dressing in a small bowl, add your sour cream, mayo, seasoning salt, sherry (I used a Port) and pepper. Whisk until combined.
Pour over the chicken salad mixture.
Stir gently to combine. Refrigerate an hour before serving for best flavors. Best if enjoyed with a week.
If you enjoy this salad, try these recipes.
Recommended for this recipe!
[amazon_link asins=’B00TZ2PH1G,B071X4F645,B00MVQ4IPY’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thefreshcoo0a-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a348eae8-586b-11e8-93eb-c3b6508118fa’]Print
Creamy, sherried chicken salad, bursting with fresh grapes, toasted crunchy almonds, fresh green onions in a flavorful sauce.
- 6 c. chopped cooked chicken
- 3 c. sliced green or red grapes
- 1 c. toasted slivered almonds
- 2 celery ribs, diced (optional)
- 3 green onions, minced
- ¾ c. mayonnaise
- ¼ c. sour cream
- 2 T. sherry (Port or Madiera may be substituted)
- ½ tsp. seasoned salt (like Lawry’s)
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Croissants, Rolls, Crackers or Bread for serving with and or on (optional)
- Leafy Green Lettuce (optional)
- Chop or shred chicken (I usually buy pre-cooked antibiotic free rotisserie chicken) and place in large bowl.
- Wash, pat dry, halve the grapes, add to chicken.
- Chop the green onions and add to chicken and grapes
- Chop celery if using, into small pieces
- Add toasted* almonds.
- In a separate smaller bowl, add mayonnaise, sour cream, sherry, seasoning salt and pepper.
- Mix together well and pour over the chicken salad, gently mix throughout salad mixture
- Refrigerate an hour for best taste prior to serving.
- Serve a portion on a lettuce leaf with crackers or on a roll or croissant as sandwiches.
TIP | Toasting almonds. Place almonds on cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
Keywords: chicken salad, sherry, light chicken salad, brunch salad, meal plan