This is my go-to, fluffy, DELICIOUS, creamiest, vanilla buttercream frosting. This is the best, light, buttery, out-of-this-world creamy frosting! It’s my go to frosting for all kinds of sweet treats! It is spreadable as well as pipeable and holds up extremely well under most circumstances (except extreme heat).
Try this buttercream on your favorite cupcakes, cake, cookies or even cinnamon rolls!! I personally love it on these Soft Sugar Cookie Bites and Bars, Frosted Cut-Out Sugar Cookies and have even adapted it for these Mint Brownie Bites.
HOW TO MAKE THE FLUFFIEST MILE HIGH BUTTERCREAM
Start by placing your room temperature butter in the bowl of a mixer, whip it until nice and fluffy, 2-4 minutes.
Then add your vanilla extract and/or vanilla bean paste.
Toss in a pinch of salt, yes, sea salt, you won’t taste it but it truly brings out the flavors. (Normally I truly pinch it, but someone gave me these cute that are a dash and a pinch.)
Now with your mixer on stir or low, add your powdered sugar, a little at a time, alternating with the milk or cream. Start by adding 4-5 tablespoons of milk/cream, adding more as needed. If you are piping the frosting, add a little less milk/cream, if simply spreading, add a little more.
Once all of your powdered sugar is incorporated, scrape down the sides of the bowl, turn mixer on high and beat 4-8 minutes until smooth, light and fluffy. Scraping down the sides and bottom every so often.
BAKING HACK | The hack to the fluffiest, lightest, creamiest pipeable buttercream is in the whipping!! Don’t be afraid to really whip it well!!
BAKING HACK | If piping, place the piping bag into a tall heavy glass with desired tip on the end, turn the edges of the bag over and scoop the frosting into the bag.
Other flavoring mix-ins to try:
- Pure Mint Extract – about 1 teaspoon
- Pure Maple Extract – about 1 teaspoon
- Espresso Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pure Almond Extract – about 1 teaspoon
- Pure Lemon Extract – about 1 teaspoon
If desired, tint with gel food coloring or keep it plain vanilla; nothing plain about that at all!
Finish with some festive sprinkles on top!
RECOMMENDED FOR THIS RECIPEPrint
The Creamiest Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (Pipeable)
This is my go-to, fluffy, DELICIOUS, creamiest, vanilla buttercream frosting. It is spreadable as well as pipeable and holds up extremely well under most circumstances (except extreme heat).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/2 - 2 cups frosting 1x
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American Buttercream
- While cookies cool (or take out of freezer, if frozen) make frosting.
- Place butter in the mixer bowl and whip on medium-high speed until light & fluffy, 2-4 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and pinch of salt and whip up well.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing on low.
- Pour 4 tablespoons (with mixer running) of milk or cream and whip up well, depending on consistency needed (less milk for piping) a little extra for spreading typically.
- Add more milk as needed, whip for 4-8 minutes until cloud like light!
- If you’d like to color the frosting, add tiny amounts of gel food coloring until desired tint is achieved.
- If adding an extract, add at end and whip for additional minute.
- Spread or pipe onto baked goods.
- Add sprinkles, if desired
BACKING HACK | If piping, place tip in bottom of decorating bag, place bag/tip in tall heavy glass, fold over edges of bag and scoop in frosting.
Keywords: Light, Creamy, Spreadable, Pipeable, Vanilla Buttercream, Vanilla Frosting, Fluffy