This is my go-to, fluffy, DELICIOUS, creamiest, best Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. It is light, fluffy and out-of-this-world creamy frosting! It’s my go to frosting for all kinds of sweet treats!
THE CREAMIEST VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Spreadable and pipeable and holds up extremely well under most circumstances (except extreme heat), this frosting is so versatile!
Try this buttercream on your favorite treats!!
HOW TO MAKE THE FLUFFIEST MILE HIGH BUTTERCREAM
Plop the room temperature butter in the bowl of a mixer, whip it until nice and fluffy, 2-4 minutes.
Toss in a pinch of salt, yes, sea salt, you won’t taste it but it truly brings out the flavors. (Normally I truly pinch it, but someone gave me these cute little measuring spoons…just a dash and a pinch.)
Now with your mixer on stir or low, add your powdered sugar, alternating with the milk/cream. Start by adding 4-5 tablespoons of milk/cream, adding more as needed.
If you are piping the frosting, add a little less milk/cream, if simply spreading, add a little more.
BAKING HACK FOR THE LIGHTEST, CREAMY, FLUFFY FROSTING
The trick or hack to the fluffiest, lightest, creamiest pipeable buttercream is in the whipping!! Don’t be afraid to really whip it well!!
Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, scrape down the sides of the bowl, turn mixer on high and beat 4-8 minutes until smooth, light and fluffy. Scraping down the sides and bottom every so often.
If spreading directly onto a pan of cookies or a cake, spread using an offset spatula for ease.
HOW TO FILL A PIPING BAG
Easily fill a piping bag, but placing bag and tip into a tall heavy glass. Turn the edges of the bag over and scoop the frosting into the bag.
How to Flavor Frostings
- Pure Mint Extract – about 1 teaspoon
- Pure Maple Extract – about 1 teaspoon
- Espresso Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pure Almond Extract – about 1 teaspoon
- Pure Lemon Extract – about 1 teaspoon
If desired, tint with gel food coloring or keep it plain vanilla; nothing plain about that at all!
Finish with some festive sprinkles on top!
Can I Freeze Frosting / Buttercream
Yes, seal well as it will absorb flavors around it. Keep frosting in fridge up to one week or frozen up to 3 months.
Thaw on counter, if piping or smoother frosting is desired, place in bowl and whip until light, smooth and fluffy once more.
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
- 1 cup real butter (no substitutes), room temperature
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla (or 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped into frosting and beaten, or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste)
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons of milk or cream
- food coloring (optional)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Place butter in the mixer bowl and whip on medium-high speed until light & fluffy, 2-4 minutes. Add the vanilla and pinch of salt and whip up well. Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing on low.
- Pour 4 tablespoons (with mixer running) of milk or cream and whip well; depending on desired consistency (less milk for piping) a little extra for spreading typically. Add more milk as needed, whip for 4-8 minutes until cloud-like light!
- If you'd like to tint the frosting, add tiny amounts of gel food coloring until desired tint is achieved. If adding an extract, add at end and whip for additional minute. Spread or pipe onto baked goods. Add sprinkles, if desired
BACKING HACK | If piping, place tip in bottom of decorating bag, place bag/tip in tall heavy glass, fold over edges of bag and scoop in frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Anchor Hocking 2 Quart Glass Batter Bowl With Lid (81106L11)
Pridebit Cupcake/Cake Decorating Tips [5 Extra Large] [4 Classic Tips+1 Ruffle Tip]
Icing Spatulas Off Set
SideSwipe flat beater with flex edge for KitchenAid mixers-Artisan and other Tilt-Head Mixers, blue
KitchenAid 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series with Glass Bowl - Sea Glass
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 0g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate.