Nothing says “Happy St. Patrick’s Day” quite like an Irish Mule; and I’m not talking about the kicking kind, but an Irish version of the Moscow Mule of course. It is full of shenanigans; with fresh muddled mint, crisp, clean whiskey, lime juice and finished with spicy, bubbly ginger beer.
A few years ago, when I first started discovering mules; my husband and I went out for dinner and enjoyed a twist on the typical Moscow Mule, it was called a Colorado Mule — basically all the same elements of a Moscow Mule, but using whiskey instead of vodka.
This mule has a wee bit of a St. Paddy’s day twist, because it’s made with whiskey and is green all over, perfect to entertain with on St. Patrick’s day.
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
- Cocktail Glass or Copper Mule Mug
- Muddler (yup, it’s a thing)
- Jigger or Mini Measuring Cup
- Juicer (this is my favorite)
I’m the first to admit that I am not a big drinker, kind of a wimpy one actually, but that’s why I really enjoy a cocktail now and then, you can adjust the amount of alcohol according to your
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Irish Whiskey (other whiskey and/or bourbon would work great too)
- Fresh Lime
- Fresh Mint
- Ginger Beer
So what are you waiting for?? Gather up the ingredients and equipment and let’s make a cocktail, perfect for your St. Patrick’s day gathering or anytime you want a refreshing, slightly spicy, and a wee bit complex cocktail. Oh and if you are not into cocktails, simply omit the whiskey, add a little extra splash of lime and top it off with that ginger beer for a lovely mocktail.
MIXING UP AN IRISH MULE
Grab your glass or your copper mug; copper mugs keep the contents frosty and crisp, check out this post for Pomegranate Mules for the history on Copper Mugs and the Moscow Mule. Alas, laddie or lassie, I didn’t use my copper mugs, because I wanted to showcase the beauty of this drink.
First you’ll be muddlin’ your mint, yeah, you heard me, grab your muddler and your mint, toss in a few leaves and gently press into the bottom of the glass. You don’t want to smash them to smitherines (that’ll make them bitter), just a few presses and a light twist should do the trick.
Add crushed or cubed ice! We don’t have a freezer that serves up crushed ice and for a cocktail I like my iced crushed, so I put some in a freezer baggie and shash it all up with a meat mallet!
Pour in whiskey – 2 oz for a stronger drink, 1-1 1/2 oz for a lighter drink. This is one of my very favorite kitchen tools, I use it all-the-time, in fact I have two!Next, squeeze in your lime, a whole half of a lime, adds a most beautiful citrus pop!
Now, top the glass off with your ginger beer of choice.
Finally, place a twist of lime and a sprig of mint, it really finishes off the cocktail beautifully!
Please enjoy responsibly and don’t forget to be a blessin’ to someone this St. Patrick’s day!
To go with your Irish Mule, make these easy, delicious Banger’s and Mash with dreamy Milk Stout Onion Gravy and for dessert…Milk Stout Fudge Brownies with Bailey’s Buttercream.
Try these other light & refreshing cocktails!
And this mule will pair perfectly with Bangers and Mash
I’m sharing this recipe on a few of my favorite link parties. Simply click on the links below to see other amazing recipes and join the fun!
- 1- 2 oz Irish Whiskey (other whiskey and/or bourbon would work great too)
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 8-10 leaves fresh mint
- 4-6 oz Ginger Beer
- Crushed or Cubed Ice
- Grab your muddler and your mint, toss a few mint leaves into bottom of glass and gently press into the bottom of the glass. Just a few presses and a light twist should do the trick.
- Next, pour in your whiskey - 2 oz for a stronger drink, 1-1 1/2 oz for a lighter drink. This is one of my very favorite kitchen tools, I use it all-the-time, in fact I have two!
- Next, squeeze in your lime, a whole half of a lime, adds a most beautiful citrus pop!
- Now, top the glass off with your ginger beer of choice.
- Finally, place a twist of lime and a sprig of mint, it really finishes off the cocktail beautifully!
- Please enjoy responsibly!
- Q Drinks, Q Ginger Beer Spectacular Ginger Beer, 12 Fl Oz Slim Can (Pack of 12)
- Set of 2 Moscow Mule Copper Mugs with Free Shot Glass in Awesome Gift Box by CLASSIC GIFT - Handmade of 100% Pure Copper, No Nickel Interior, Copper Handle - Hammered Finish 16 Oz
- Paksh Novelty Italian Highball Glasses [Set of 6] Clear Heavy Base Tall Bar Glass - Drinking Glasses for Water, Juice, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Cocktails | 13 Ounce Cups
- James Scott Double Old Fashioned Crystal Drinking Glasses Set, Irish Cut Design - Set of 4-11 Oz
- Chef'n FreshForce Citrus Juicer (Lime)
- OXO Good Grips Angled Measuring Cup, Mini, Clear
- Twine Old Kentucky Home Acacia Wood Muddler 3643 1 EA Brown
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 503 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 32mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 49g Protein: 1g