Simply, easy, fudgy, thick Chocolate Ganache! Don’t be afraid of it, truly it’s the most easy and decedent confection to make! Use it as a frosting, layering in a cake, filling a cupcake, layered in an ice cream cake or poured over ice cream!
Simply pour chocolate chips into a microwave safe small batter bowl along with whipping cream. Or a heavy bottomed small saucepan on low, low heat.
Heat in 20-30 second bursts in the microwave, stirring well after each heating. Chocolate will continue to melt after removing from microwave.
Or whisk constantly if on stovetop until melted and smooth, remove from heat just before all chocolate is melted.
Once smooth and all chocolate has melted, plunk in your softened butter and stir or whisk until melted and incorporated.
What’s the difference between ganache and frosting?
Frosting is typically made with butter, powdered sugar, melted chocolate but more common is cocoa powder. Ganache is a type of frosting made with melted chocolate and whipped cream, no powdered sugar and not nearly as much butter. It tends to be much richer and fudgier than frosting.
How Do You Make Ganache Thicker?
- Allow to cool on counter for 15-20 minutes before using if you need it thicker.
- As it thickens it will harden, to soften up, my preference is to toss in a pan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
- You may also cool for 15-20 minutes, then whip it with a mixer until the color lightens and you achieve a spreadable consistency.
How Can You Use Chocolate Ganache
- Give it a try on my Mile High Mud Pie
- Allow to thicken slightly and pour over ice cream.
- Fill cupcakes for a surprise bite of decadence.
- Whip it and frost cupcakes, cakes, use between sandwich cookies.
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (may use all semisweet or milk chocolate)
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a microwave safe bowl, pour in chocolate chips and whipping cream.
- Heat in 30 second bursts in the microwave, stirring well between heatings. (Should only take about 60-90 seconds)
- Once melted and smooth and thoroughly combined, place in butter and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt, use as desired.
- For a thicker, more spreadable ganache, allow to cool, it will thicken as it cools. Try 15-20 minutes on the counter, if not thick enough, place in fridge or freezer for 10 minutes.
- Ganache may also be whipped with a mixer after cooling making it pipeable and spreadable for cakes, cupcakes.
Recipe may be cut in half if a small amount of ganache is needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc.