A deliciously light, Thai influenced tender and moist grilled chicken. You will love the light and healthy flavors infused in this chicken. Make the marinade and toss in your chicken, freezing for a quick and simple last-minute dinner!
Begin by pouring in a can of your favorite coconut milk, light or full fat, though I prefer the full fat (but this is what I had on hand), and toss in your rough chopped garlic.
Next add your brown sugar and salt.
TIP: Freeze the leftover ginger root, removing and slicing off what you need for recipes or grating straight from frozen.
Next add your turmeric – I always feel like I’m mumbling when I say it. A wonderful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant! Plus your cumin, and coriander. I only had coriander seeds, so used a few and just placed in the coconut milk mixture.
Next, if you have one, blend using an immersion blender, or place in regular blender and blend until combined.
Add your fresh chopped cilantro and blend again for just a few pulses.
If freezing meals, be sure to write on the freezer baggie the name of the meal ahead of time, this marinade is easily split into two servings of about 1 cup each to cover approximately 8 chicken breasts.
Pour about 1 cup of marinade in baggie over 3-4 chicken breasts (or 6 boneless thighs or chicken tenders)
Once in baggie(s), squeeze out excess air and lay flat in freezer to freeze. If using immediately, allow to sit in marinade for 2 – 24 hours in refrigerator.
If frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight or on counter for 2 hours.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Brush grill with oil, remove chicken from marinade and place on grill.
Grill chicken until cooked through about 6 minutes per side (depends on how thick the chicken is) for boneless chicken breasts, less time for chicken tenders (about 2-3 minutes per side) and a little more time (8-10 minutes) for chicken thighs.
Baste using leftover marinade, discard any unused marinade or simmer in small pan over medium heat for 10 minutes or more. Pour thickened sauce over sliced chicken.
Remove from grill and allow to rest covered about 5 minutes before serving. Serve whole or sliced.
This recipe was inspired by a similar recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk (light or full-fat, I prefer full)
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons course, kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 scant teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander (or ¼ teaspoon whole coriander seeds)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 pounds chicken breasts, tenders or thighs (boneless, skinless)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the coconut milk, garlic, brown sugar, salt, ginger, turmeric, cumin, and coriander.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend marinade ingredients for a few pulses.
- Add cilantro and pulse again a couple of times.
- Write the name of the item on the outside of a gallon sized freezer bag, place in stable container to pour in marinade.
- Separate into two bags if desired with 4 chicken breasts per baggie.
- Pour in half of the marinade (about 1 cup each).
- Squeeze all air out of the baggie and seal.
- If freezing, place flat in freezer until frozen completely.
- If using immediately, allow to marinade for 2 - 24 hours before grilling. Refrigerate during marinating.
- If frozen, when ready to use, remove from freezer and thaw in refrigerator overnight or on counter for 2 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat, brush with oil.
- Remove from marinade and place on grill, cooking for about 6 minutes per side for breasts (2-3 for tenders, 10 minutes or so per side for thighs)
- Basting using leftover marinade, discard any unused marinade or bring to simmer on stovetop for 10 minutes to kill any bacteria and serve over chicken.
- If desired, squeeze a fresh lime and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 744mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 55g
The nutritional information is estimated and may not be entirely accurate, at times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc.