As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Instant Pot Rustic Mashed Potatoes are loaded with incredible flavors; like garlic, Boursin cheese, spices, cream and broth for restaurant style mashed potatoes! The best part is they are done in a jiffy!
We are mashed potato lovers in our house, like these over-the-top creamy roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and we enjoy them with all sorts of recipes, like these Bangers and Mash or this juicy Instant Pot Turkey Breast.
These potatoes are perfect for holidays and potlucks, or anytime you want a (s)mashing (hee-hee) side dish to accompany a great meal. Try these with Beer Beef Stew or delectable short ribs or Shepherd’s Pie!
But don’t just reserve these potatoes for the holidays, they are delicious all year long and doable, since they done in less than 30 minutes, much of that inactive time!
Ingredients to Cook the Mashed Potatoes
- White, Red or Yukon gold potatoes (I used all red for the recipe pictured), washed and quartered.
- Garlic, smashed
- Organic chicken broth
Not a big fan of the “rustic” style potatoes?
Then peel away, my friend! I hate peeling potatoes, plus I love the extra fiber, texture and nutrients the skins bring to the dish. But if you don’t like them, then do away with them!!
Ingredients for the Mashing the Rustic Potatoes
- Salted butter
- Heavy cream or half and half (I used half and half)
- Boursin cheese (any flavor) found in the fancy cheese section of most markets (substitute with 4 oz cream cheese or 4 oz sour cream or even greek yogurt instead – but you gotta try it once with Boursin)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Garlic Powder and Italian Seasoning
- Fresh Chives or Green onions for garnish
Assembling Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Wash and quarter your potatoes, add to instant pot. Pour chicken broth and toss in the garlic; secure lid, place in no-vent mode and pressure cook for 15 minutes for high altitude, 13-14 minutes sea level — quick release when done.
For smoother, runnier mashed potatoes leave broth in pot. For thicker mashed potatoes, drain ½ cup – up to all of the liquid, these will be thicker and more “rustic” in nature — both ways are great, just a preference. You may want to reserve what you drain off just in case you need more liquid.
Using a potato masher mash the potatoes until no large chunks remain. Then stir in remaining “ingredients for mashing” until desired consistency.
Saving Mashed Potatoes that are Too Thick or Too Runny
- If too thick, add a bit more cream or milk, or leftover cooking broth
- If too thin, you can try to thicken by cooking them on the saute button (or on the stovetop) over low heat for a minute or two, but watch them so they don’t burn. Also many times just allowing them to sit for a few minutes will allow the potatoes to absorb some of the liquid.
Recommended Tools for Instant Pot Potatoes
- Instant Pot | well yes, you kind of need one to make them this way
- Potato Masher | You can certainly mash by hand, but a masher is simple
- Wooden Spoon | These olive wood spoons are my favorite!
- Liquid measuring cup | I use these all the time
CAN I MAKE Rustic MASHED POTATOES ON STOVETOP OR SLOW COOKER?
Yes, you can adapt them both ways, they will (obviously) take longer, but I get it, that’s okay!
SLOW COOKER RUSTIC MASHED POTATOES INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare as directed but place all cooking ingredients (potatoes, garlic, & increasing chicken broth to 2 cups) in slow cooker crock, set on high 4-5 hours. Drain and reserve excess broth, return potatoes, garlic to the pot, mash and add “fixin” ingredients mixing in by hand, potatoes will be lumpy and rustic! May leave in crockpot on warm!
STOVETOP RUSTIC POTATOES INSTRUCTIONS
Place washed, quartered potatoes and garlic (do not add chicken broth) in a large pot filled about ⅔ full with water, bring to simmer, cook for 25-40 minutes until fork slides through potatoes, drain potatoes, reserving garlic and some of the potato water. Proceed with recipe as planned adding mix-in’s and mashing.
I hope you enjoyed this easy, fool-proof, make ahead, Instant Pot version of the best Rustic Mashed Potatoes!
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!