This easy recipe for tortilla soup is loaded with chicken and veggies, a little rice and garnished with chunks of avocado, salty queso fresco, crunchy tortilla chips, a touch of cilantro, and finished with a tangy squeeze of lime! A 30 minute meal or throw in slow cooker in the morning! Plus it’s GLUTEN FREE!
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
What I love about this soup is that it can be ready in a jiffy, or popped in the slow cooker to simmer all day.
Slow Cooker Soup
- One thing I’ve learned about chicken and the slow cooker is that it should cook less time than you think.
- So if you need to put it in the crockpot all day long, place your chicken in frozen and uncooked, add all the other ingredients and set on low for 8 hours, then shred it before serving.
- If you have the luxury of being around sooner, place your cooked chicken in bite size pieces in the crockpot and place on low for 4 hours, then set to warm.
Pour a little olive oil and a pat of butter, saute your onions until translucent and golden.
Add garlic at the last minute or two of your onions sauteing.
A dash (or more) of cayenne pepper, stir it around to bloom (wake up) your spices.
Now dump in your diced green chilis, no need to drain.
And your chicken, give it a good stir mixing those delightful spices in with the chicken and goodies.
Pour in chicken stock, I used my homemade bone broth, just replace the beef bones with a chicken carcass, or wings and feet.
Psst, boxed chicken stock is just fine, I know homemade is better for you, but…sometimes boxed is just fine!
and the tomatoes…
This is optional, but I like the depth and thickness it gives the soup, pour in a small single serving carton of tomato soup, or a can of condensed tomato soup.
Give it all a good stir and if you are eating it right away*, add in corn and rice.
*If you’ve placed your soup in a slow cooker, add corn and rice 15-30 minutes before serving.
If desired, add some cooked rice. I typically make extra rice and freeze it to use in recipes just like this.
Simmer for 25-30 minutes or place the soup in a slow cooker and turn on low for 4-8 hours depending on when you need it ready. See notes for slow-cooker instructions.
Once you are ready to eat the soup, if you haven’t added it, add your corn and rice if desired. Adjust seasonings if needed, adding a little salt and pepper to taste.
Just before serving, squeeze in your lime juice and chopped cilantro and stir to combine.
How to Serve Tortilla Soup
Suggested toppings; I’m thinking if you put them on the bottom they should be called “bottomings?”
- Tortilla chips (duh, it is called Tortilla soup)
- Cheese (queso fresco and/or Mexican shredded cheese)
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- A slice of lime
- Sour cream or Mexican Crema
- Sliced jalapenos or a splash of Tabasco sauce.
Now you’re ready to pour this delicious soup on top of your “bottomings”
Serve with a few more chips, a sprinkle of cheese, a couple more avocado chunks, a squeeze of lime, and finish it all off with a little fresh cilantro.
MORE HEART-WARMING MEALS
- Black Bean and Sausage Soup
- Easy Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya
- Better-than-Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Like this recipe?
Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️star rating in the recipe below!
- 2 large chicken boneless, skinless breasts (turkey or rotisserie chicken may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-3 shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 32 oz box chicken stock or broth
- 1-2 cups cooked rice (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1 small (single serving) carton or can of tomato soup
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla Chips
- Queso Fresco
- Jack or Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Tabasco sauce
- Sour cream or Mexican Crema
- If using uncooked chicken; rinse chicken and cover with water, cook until tender about 10-12 minutes, shred or dice.
- Or use leftover turkey, chicken or rotisserie chicken, about 2 cups worth, shredded or diced.
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium-high heat, pour in olive oil and butter.
- Toss in minced onions and saute until translucent and golden (6-7 minutes), in the last minute or so toss in the minced garlic, saute for 1 minute. Add in spices and saute for 1 minute.
- Pour in canned chilies, diced tomatoes, diced chicken and chicken broth. Stir and bring to simmer. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. If adding corn and rice, add at the end, simmer additional 4 minutes or so. Before serving stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve hot over crushed tortilla chips, crumbled or shredded cheese, avocado chunks and a squeeze of fresh lime.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS | If you have all day, saute your onions and garlic, then add all other ingredients to a slow cooker, including chicken (raw or frozen is fine if you have at least 8 hours) make sure your chicken is cooked if you have 4 hours or less). Shred chicken and add corn, rice, lime juice and cilantro just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweese 1309 Porcelain Salad/Pasta Bowls - 22 Ounce - Set of 6, White
White Soup Mug, Bowl with Handle, Dinnerware Kitchen Essentials, Set of 4
All-Clad SD700450 Programmable Oval-Shaped Slow Cooker with Black Ceramic Insert and Glass Lid, 6.5-Quart, Silver
EXTRA LARGE Organic Bamboo Cutting Board 18 x 12
Wusthof Santoku knife 5 inch; Black
All-Clad Brushed 18/10 Stainless Steel Soup Pot with Lid Cookware, 4-Qt
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 5gSugar: 46gProtein: 22g
The nutritional information is estimated, contains some of the toppings but cannot account for personal quantities and may not be entirely accurate. At times it pulls information for suggestions and options which may increase calories, etc.