Slow roasted veggies & garlic, with a garlic, olive oil and butter sauce, drizzled over angel hair pasta and topped with shaved parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts and fresh basil. An amazingly simple meal that will taste like you spent hours in the kitchen; good enough for company, simple enough for everyday!
I had a hard time deciding on a name for this recipe, I asked my husband and kids and they stumbled around like me, uh, “roasted veggies and garlic in yummy olive oil butter sauce, sprinkled with shaved parmesan cheese over angel hair pasta,” (too long) – “roasted vegetables with garlic and pasta” (hmm, maybe ) – “Veggie Pasta” (too short & unclear), “Slow-Roasted Veggie Pasta“…that’s what we finally landed on, not flashy but it’s delicious.
I’ve made this pasta dish for our family and company many times, I always try and make extra roasted veggies to use in other things, like piled on a sandwich or burger…this picture below perfectly describes my family. 2 with roasted veggies, 2 different kinds of cheese and one plain-Jane, the cheese cannot even touch Gabe’s (my youngest) burgers. Ooh where they delicious, wrapped them in a big leaf of romaine, drizzled on a little of my own “secret sauce” which is just mayo, ketchup and relish and wowza! It was so amazing, I forgot to take a final picture!
Gather all of your veggies, wash your them well and pat dry. Cut into bit size pieces place in a large bowl.
I used garlic, zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and I had a few leftover artichoke hearts I threw on top. Drizzle with a little good EVOO, just enough to coat the veggies lightly. Toss gently to coat.
Pour onto your prepared pans. Slice off the tippy top of a small bulb of garlic (or a large bulb and save the rest for use in another recipe), drizzle a little additional olive oil over the top of the garlic bulb and sprinkle all the veggies with kosher salt, this is my favorite brand!
Roast veggies for 40-45 minutes rotating pans (top to bottom, etc) and stirring about every 20 minutes until roasted to your desired roasted-ness. We like ours a little extra toasty!
Meanwhile, heat a pan to medium-heat and toss in a few tablespoons of , shake around until nuts are toasted and aromatic, remove from pan and cool.
About 15 minutes before your veggies are done, bring a large (8 qt) pot of water to a boil, add 2 tablespoon salt to the boiling water (never oil) right before you add your pasta. Cook pasta according to directions (about 7-10 minutes). We use , but have used penne, spaghetti, any pasta will work for this recipe. Drain your pasta and place into a large serving bowl.
While your pasta is cooking, heat a medium pan with 2-3 tablespoons of good , add diced garlic and 1-2 tablespoons of butter, stir until heated and garlic is lightly browned. Remove from heat.
Remove your veggies and combine into one pan, squeeze your garlic bulb cloves into the veggie mix, if desired, chop the garlic cloves.
When ready to assemble, place a small amount of roasted veggies on the bottom of the bowl. Place your angel hair nests (or other pasta) on top and drizzle some of the hot garlic butter oil on top. Add the rest of your veggies and pour on the balance of your garlic sauce.
TIP | If your veggies cool too much, place them in a warm oven (200-300° for a few minutes before serving).
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (grated, shaved or both), pine nuts, and a little chopped fresh basil.
Serve with crusty bread and you have an elegant, healthy, vegetarian meal packed with flavor!
- Add cooked sliced Italian Sausage or Kielbasa
- Mozzarella Pearls (also called; baby mozzarella balls, Ciliegine)
- A tablespoon or two of Pesto, drizzled on top (yummy!)
If you enjoyed recipe, give these others a try:
SAVE HERE FOR LATER ON PINTEREST!
Roasted Veggie Pasta
Slow-roasted veggie pasta in a pleasing garlic, olive oil/butter sauce topped with shaved parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts and fresh basil.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian
- ROASTED VEGGIES
- 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes (all one color or multi-colored), washed, whole
- 3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow), washed & sliced
- 1 sweet onion (or red), sliced
- 1–2 zucchini, washed and sliced
- 1–2 summer squash, washed and sliced
- 1 medium bulb garlic, top sliced off to expose cloves
- OLIVE OIL-BUTTER GARLIC SAUCE
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus a few tablespoons more for covering the veggies)
- 1–2 tablespoons butter
- 2–4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/8 cup Pine Nuts
- Toss in some baby mozzarella balls (optional)
- Sprinkle with Shaved or grated parmesan
- Chop some fresh basil and sprinkle over top
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS
- 1 pint mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 3–5 stalks asparagus
- 1 eggplant, washed and cubed
- 1 16 oz can artichoke hearts, in brine, halved
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash & dry vegetables well, cutting into bite size pieces.
- Toss cut veggies into large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Separate veggies between two pans and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes, rotating top and bottom pan and stirring vegetables every 15 minutes. Once your vegetables start to brown around the edges they are done, though we like ours a bit roastier.
- To keep warm while waiting to assemble, keep veggies in oven at 200 degrees until ready to use.
- Squeeze (from bottom) the garlic bulb until desired number of garlic cloves pop out, use whole in pasta or chop and add to roasted veggies.
- If desired, heat a small pan over medium heat and toss in pine nuts, shake around (don’t leave them) until they are golden brown, remove from heat)
- Approximately 15 minutes before vegetables are done, prepare pasta of choice by bringing an 8 quart pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and a handful of salt. Cook according to package directions (approximately 7-10 minutes).
- While pasta is boiling, heat a separate pan with 1/4 cup of olive oil and place in butter as well, toss in garlic and heat until golden. Remove from heat.
- Once pasta is al dente, drain and pour pasta into a large serving bowl.
- Place a small amount of veggies on bottom of bowl.
- Arrange pasta on top of roasted veggies and drizzle a little of the oil butter garlic sauce.
- Add additional veggies, pour rest of the oil/butter sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, fresh chopped basil, pine nuts and baby mozzarella if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Other Optional Add-Ins |
* Add cooked sliced Italian sausage, chicken or Kielbasa
* Mozzarella Pearls (also called; baby mozzarella balls, Ciliegine)
* Sun-Dried Tomatoes
* A tablespoon or two of Pesto, drizzled on top (yummy!)
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’d love to hear how it turned out, leave a comment below and share a picture of it on Instagram with the hashtag #thefreshcooky.
If you try this recipe, be sure to tag @thefreshcooky on Instagram and hashtag #thefreshcooky.
Recommended for this recipe!
There may be Amazon affiliate links in this post. I participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com