Slow-roasted veggie pasta with a garlic, olive oil and butter sauce, drizzled over angel hair pasta and topped with shaved parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts and fresh basil. An amazingly simple meal that will taste like you spent hours in the kitchen; good enough for company, simple enough for everyday!
AMAZING FLAVORS IN THIS SLOW-ROASTED VEGGIE PASTA
I had a hard time choosing a name for this recipe. I asked my husband and kids and they stumbled around like me, uh, “roasted veggies and garlic in yummy olive oil butter sauce, sprinkled with shaved parmesan cheese over angel hair pasta,” (too long) – “roasted vegetables with garlic and pasta” (hmm, maybe ) – “Veggie Pasta” (too short & unclear), “Slow-Roasted Veggie Pasta“…that’s what we finally landed on, not flashy but it’s delicious.
The perfect, “we’ve got company coming over” dish! I’ve made this amazing Slow Roasted Veggie Pasta dish for our family and company many times!
MAKE EXTRA SLOW-ROASTED VEGGIES
I always try and make extra roasted veggies to use in other things, like piled on a sandwich or burger…this picture below perfectly describes my family. 2 with roasted veggies, 2 different kinds of cheese and one plain-Jane, the cheese cannot even touch my youngest son’s burgers. Ooh, where they delicious, wrapped them in a big leaf of romaine, drizzled on a little of my own “secret sauce” which is just mayo, ketchup and relish and wowza! It was so amazing, I forgot to take a final picture!
Gather veggies, wash them well, pat dry. Cut into bite size pieces place in a large bowl.
I used garlic, zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and I had a few leftover artichoke hearts I threw on top. Drizzle with a little good EVOO, just enough to coat the veggies lightly. Toss gently to coat. Choose the veggies you love to slow roast!
Pour tossed veggies onto prepared pans. Slice off the tippy top of a small bulb of garlic (or a large bulb and save the rest for use in another recipe), drizzle a little additional olive oil over the top of the garlic bulb and sprinkle all the veggies with kosher salt.
How Long Should I Roast Veggies
Roast veggies for 40-45 minutes rotating pans (top to bottom, etc) and stirring about every 20 minutes until roasted to your desired roasted-ness. We like ours a little extra toasty!
Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat and toss in a few tablespoons of pine nuts, shake around until nuts are toasted golden and aromatic, remove from pan and cool.
About 15 minutes before your veggies are done, bring a large (8 qt) pot of water to a boil, add 2 tablespoon salt to the boiling water (never oil) right before you add your pasta. Cook pasta according to directions (about 7-10 minutes). We use an angel hair pasta nest; but have used penne, spaghetti, any pasta will work for this recipe. Drain your pasta and place into a large serving bowl.
While your pasta is cooking, heat a medium pan with 2-3 tablespoons of good olive oil, add diced garlic and 1-2 tablespoons of butter*, stir until heated and garlic is lightly browned. Remove from heat. *Freaked out about adding butter, omit it adding a little extra olive oil.
Remove veggies from oven and combine into one pan, grabbing the roasted garlic bulb from the bottom (if too hot, use a paper towel) squeeze your garlic bulb cloves into the veggie mix. Chop roasted garlic, if desired.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE YOUR SLOW ROASTED VEGGIE PASTA
Place a small amount of roasted veggies on the bottom of the bowl or plate. Carefully place your angel hair nests (or other pasta) on top and drizzle some of the hot garlic butter oil on top. Add the rest of your veggies and pour on the balance of your garlic oil/butter.
TIP | If your veggies cool too much, place them in a warm oven (200-300° for a few minutes before serving).
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (grated, shaved or both), pine nuts, and a little chopped fresh basil.
Serve with crusty bread and you have an elegant, healthy, vegetarian meal packed with flavor!
- Add cooked, sliced Italian Sausage, Kielbasa, chicken or shrimp.
- Mozzarella Pearls (also called; baby mozzarella balls, Ciliegine)
- Toss in a generous handful of sun-dried tomatoes
- Drizzle and toss in tablespoon or two of pesto
If you enjoyed recipe, give these others a try:
I’m sharing this AMAZING recipe on my favorite link parties:
I’d love it if you enjoy this recipe if you’d comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card.
Hashtag any recipes you make from The Fresh Cooky #thefreshcooky or tag me @thefreshcooky on
Instagram to be featured on our stories!
- 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes (all one color or multi-colored), washed, whole
- 3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow), washed & sliced
- 1 sweet onion (or red), sliced
- 1-2 zucchini, washed and sliced
- 1-2 summer squash, washed and sliced
- 1 medium bulb garlic, top sliced off to expose cloves
OLIVE OIL-BUTTER GARLIC SAUCE
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus a few tablespoons more for covering the veggies)
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/8 cup Pine Nuts
- Toss in some baby mozzarella balls (optional)
- Sprinkle with Shaved or grated parmesan
- Fresh basil, chopped and sprinkled over top
- 1 pint mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 3-5 stalks asparagus
- 1 eggplant, washed and cubed
- 1 16 oz can artichoke hearts, in brine, halved
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash & dry vegetables well, cutting into bite size pieces.Toss cut veggies into large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Slice off top of garlic bulb and add to pan of veggies, sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt. Separate veggies between two pans and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes, rotating top and bottom pan and stirring vegetables every 15 minutes. Once your vegetables start to brown around the edges they are done, though we like ours a bit roastier.
- To keep warm while waiting to assemble, keep veggies in oven at 200°F until ready. Squeeze (from bottom) garlic bulb until desired number of garlic cloves pop out, use whole in pasta or chop and add to roasted veggies. Heat a small pan over medium heat and toss in pine nuts, shake around (don't leave them) until they are golden brown, remove from heat)
- Approximately 15 minutes before vegetables are done, prepare pasta of choice by bringing an 8 quart pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and a handful of salt. Cook according to package directions (approximately 7-10 minutes). While pasta is boiling, heat a separate pan with 1/4 cup of olive oil and place in butter as well, toss in garlic and heat until golden. Remove from heat. Once pasta is al dente, drain and pour pasta into a large serving bowl.
- Place a small amount of veggies in bottom of pasta bowl or plate. Arrange pasta on top of roasted veggies and drizzle a little of the oil butter garlic sauce. Add additional veggies, pour rest of the oil/butter sauce on top. Season with sea salt, fresh chopped basil, pine nuts and baby mozzarella if desired. Serve immediately.
CHANGE IT UP
* Add cooked sliced Italian sausage, chicken or Kielbasa
* Mozzarella Pearls (also called; baby mozzarella balls, Ciliegine)
* Sun-Dried Tomatoes
* A tablespoon or two of Pesto, drizzled on top (yummy!)
- PriorityChef Colander, Stainless Steel Micro-Perforated Strainer For Washing Rice, Pasta And Small Grains, 3 Quart
- Unbleached Parchment Paper, Set of 100, 12 x 16 Inches, Pre-Cut Parchment Baking Paper/Greaseproof Paper Sheets/Non Stick Baking Parchment Fit for Half Sheet Pans, Brown and Eco-Friendly
- Nordic Ware Naturals Aluminum NonStick Baker's Half Sheet
- Wusthof Santoku knife 5 inch; Black
- Best Cheese Grater & Zester - Stainless Steel Lemon Zester Tool - Best Zester for Kitchen - Cheese Grater Handheld - Chocolate, Coconut, Nutmeg, Ginger, Lemon Zester - Citrus Zester - by Zulay Kitchen
- Mikasa Delray Bone China Round Pasta Serving Bowl, 13-Inch
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 359 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 412mg Carbohydrates: 49g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 24g Protein: 10g