The perfect salad for any breakfast, brunch or tea, oh heck even for dinner, this would be a delightful addition to any menu. A wonderful holiday addition, try it for Easter, Mother’s Day, a summer barbecue, you won’t be disappointed.
A tropical delight, bursting with flavor and colors with a zesty lemony zing, lightly sweetened with honey and the natural sweetness of the mangos and berries.
Start with beautifully ripe mangoes. The mango should not be hard, but should yield gently to a little pressure, kind of like an avocado. Some people are intimidated by cutting up a mango, it’s easier than you think, let’s give it a go. After washing your mangoes, stand it up on end with the stem facing you, mangoes are slightly wider where the flesh is, slice straight down, turn the mango and do the same thing on the other side.
If the seed isn’t too big, slice “around” the seed to get a smidge more mango. Here’s the seed, big buggers aren’t they!?
Next, slice your “halves” into slices. And slip your knife just below the skin and the flesh and then chop your slices into bite size pieces. Place in bowl, wash blueberries, drain and pour into bowl.
Zest your lemon (give a microplane a try, citrus zesting, grating cheese, grating nutmeg or ginger) if you don’t have one, just use the small side of a cheese grater.
Juice your lemon into the zest.
Add your honey to your slurry…
Next add your orange juice to your slurry and stir; you can certainly do fresh squeezed, but I did use bottled here! Pour over your mangoes and berries.
Gently stir to mix, allow to sit for an hour or two for the flavors to mesh.
If desired, add additional berries and some fresh mint. Delish by itself or with additional berries. As always, make it your own!
- 3 ripe mangoes
- 2 pints blueberries (or if using other berries, reduce by a pint)
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey (as desired)
- 1 lemon, including zest and juice from half
- ½ cup orange juice
- Place cut mangoes, berries in a bowl.
- Grate zest from lemon into small bowl.
- Squeeze ½ of the lemon and add to zest.
- Add honey, to taste, sometimes if mangos and berries aren't too sweet you'll need a bit more
- Add ½ cup orange juice to zest.
- Pour all over the mangoes and berries.
- Stir gently and refrigerate for a couple hours if possible.