A bodacious baked chicken quesadilla bursting with caramelized peppers and onions, filled with a mixture of chicken, parmesan, goat, cheddar and cream cheeses.
I love a good appetizer, in fact, I could eat appetizers for dinner most nights, I love the variety and small bites. Like these amazing cheese dips or this creamy white queso, mmmmm! Great for a family dinner, sporting event, game day, dinner party, potluck; anywhere you can use a heavy appetizer.
Back in my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) days, we moms were desperate for simple, filling, quick meals; whether it was for simple entertaining or for our families. We have a cookbook filled with wonderful recipes like this one; my creative and very talented friend, Allison was the contributor of this beauty.
SIDE NOTE | If you have little ones (infants – preschool ages) and are not involved in a moms group, stop what you are doing and look one up, get involved. These precious woman are still in my life, encouraging, consoling, laughing, crying and praying for me.
Chicken Quesadilla Ingredients
The original recipe calls for the amounts shown below, but it makes a lot, normally I’ll cut the recipe in half. I added goat cheese which wasn’t in the original recipe. Oh how I love goat cheese; creamy, filled with flavor, a slight tang…my mouth is watering. Have you tried smoked goat cheese, wowza!!!
Caramelizing Peppers & Onions
First, we’ll caramelize the peppers and onions. This is the prettiest part of the quesadilla, because after all, quesadillas in general are pretty bland looking. In fact, you can make the onions/peppers ahead of time just warm them before assembling your quesadillas.
Slice your peppers and onions, pour a tablespoon or so of olive oil into a saute pan and over medium heat. Cover and cook the peppers and onions, stirring occasionally until they boast a bodacious caramelized color. You may need to turn your heat down, watch them and stir occasionally. Though a few crispies are never bad!
While your onions and peppers are doing their caramel-y thing; place your softened cream cheese, rotisserie chicken, parmesan, cheddar and goat cheese (optional) in a mixer bowl (stand mixer or handheld, either works) and mix until cheese is smooth and chicken has become part of the “batter”.
Set aside until ready to spread onto tortillas. Preheat oven to 425° F. May also be made ahead of time, keep refrigerated until ready to use and bring to room temp for about 20 minutes prior to assembling the quesadillas.
Assembling your Chicken & Cheese Quesadillas
Once the peppers and onions are finished and you’ve made your cheesy chicken mixture, spray the bottom of two tortillas (any size desired, mine were about 10 in) with spray oil (may be baked dry as well) and place on cookie sheet. Spread a healthy ¼ – 1/2 cup of chicken cheesy mixture on top of the tortilla.
Place some of the caramelized veggies on top of the chicken mixture and spread evenly.
Top with another tortilla, pressing down slightly and spray with spray oil.
Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes until crispy, cool for 1 minute before cutting.
Cut into 4 or 6 triangles, I’ve found it’s so easy cutting quesadillas using my pizza cutter! Serve immediately!
Quesadillas may also be baked in a skillet or griddle the traditional way, melt a little butter into a medium hot pan and sizzle until browned, turn and repeat the process on the other side.
If you like this recipe, give these other cheese-y recipes a try!
- Cheese Enchiladas
- Easy Calzones
- Blackberry Chicken Salad with Fried Goat Cheese
- Cinco de Mayo Recipe Collection
Sharing this recipe on Weekend Potluck | Meal Plan Monday | Foodie Friday
I’d love it if you enjoy this recipe if you’d comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card.
Hashtag any recipes you make from The Fresh Cooky #thefreshcooky or tag me
@thefreshcooky on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
RECOMMENDED FOR THIS RECIPEPrint
A bodacious quesadilla bursting with caramelized peppers and onions, filled with tender chicken and a mixture of parmesan, goat, sharp cheddar and cream cheeses.
- 2–3 cups rotisserie chicken breast (torn into pieces, mixer will shred)
- 2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened (may use Neufchatel cheese to lower calorie content)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ small log goat cheese, try smoked, herbed or plain
- 3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow), sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 TBL olive oil
- 16 10″ flour tortillas (smaller or large may be used)
- Slice onions and peppers. Toss in heated pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Saute until caramelized and golden in color.
- While onions and peppers are sautéing place cream cheese in mixer and beat until smooth.
- Add Parmesan, Cheddar and Goat cheeses and mix
- Add chicken and mix in, mixer will shred it to make a chicken cheesy paste.
- Spray the bottom of two 10″ flour tortillas with olive or vegetable oil, place oil side down on cookie sheet.
- Spread ¼ – ½ cup of chicken cheesy mixture on top of tortilla, not quite all the way to the edge.
- Grab some of the caramelized peppers and onions and spread evenly over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Place another tortilla on top of mixture, pressing down slightly.
- Spray tops with spray oil and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes until crispy.
- May be pan fried as well, cover with lid though so that mixture is heated all the way through.
- Cut into 4 or 8 triangles per quesadilla, continuing making until you’ve used all the mixture.
Keywords: Chicken Quesadillas, peppers and onions, appetizer, game day food, hearty appetizer
LOVE WHOLESOME DELICIOUS RECIPES? COME FOLLOW ALONG!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #TheFreshCooky so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram!
GET FREE RECIPES FROM THE FRESH COOKY DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!