Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread is a deliciously moist quickbread, with a slightly sweet and tender crumb; serve warm dripping with butter and honey. Is a great side with chili, soups, for a summer potluck or BBQ!
SWEET BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD
Quick to make; moist, with a tender crumb, not overly sweet and bursting with good corn-iness (yes, yes I am and proud of it, it’s a German thing). Nothing like what you will get out of a box! Toss that box out, this comes together so darn quick and the taste is far superior to any box mix.
PERFECT FOR A POTLUCK, BBQ OR WARM WINTER COMFORT FOOD
No buttermilk? No problem!
Measure 1 cup milk and stir 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice, let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Then use the amount needed.
Preheat oven to 400°F pouring batter into greased 9×13 baking pan.
Bake at 400°F for 22-27 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
GET FREE RECIPES FROM THE FRESH COOKY DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
I was a little impatient and served this up forgetting to take a picture of the finished product as a whole! Please take a moment to enjoy this series of mouthwatering photos…
…place a nice pat of butter on the warm corn bread and drizzle honey on top.
JOIN THE FRESH COOKY ON PINTEREST
and maybe a smidge more honey…because can you really have too much honey and butter?! Nope!
Until it drips into a beautiful little golden, sticky puddle that you can dip your cornbread in to, at will.
Give these other delicious bread recipes a try!
If you enjoyed this recipe would you please leave a comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card.
Hashtag any recipes you make from The Fresh Cooky #thefreshcooky or tag me @thefreshcooky on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
- ⅔ cup butter, softened (salted or unsalted)
- 1 cup sugar (I like pure cane sugar, unbleached)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cup buttermilk*
- 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour (I like unbleached, organic)
- 1 cup cornmeal (I like Hodgson's Mill or Bob's Red Mill)
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Butter and honey for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F and cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, milk and buttermilk* and mix well. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined, trying not to over mix. Scoop batter into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 400°F for 22-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes, then cut into squares and serve with a pat of butter, drizzled with honey.
Staub Ceramic 2-pc Rectangular Baking Dish Set - Rustic Turquoise
Anchor Hocking 2 Quart Glass Batter Bowl With Lid (81106L11)
OXO Good Grips Plastic Brownie Spatula for Non-stick Pans, Black
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Cake Pan with Lid
Decorative Cast Iron Trivet For Kitchen Or Dining Table | Square with Vintage Pattern - 6.5 x 6.5" | With Rubber Pegs/Feet - Recycled Metal - Vintage, Rustic Design - Rust Brown Color - by Comfify
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 507mg Carbohydrates: 47g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 19g Protein: 6g