Russian Black Bread is a hearty, dark bread that has rye and other whole grain flavors. This bread goes perfectly with soups, roasts and stews and it’s a snap using your bread machine. Stand mixer conversion included.
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses (I use unsulphered)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 1 ¼ cups Bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- 3 teaspoons regular active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order listed.
- Insert bread pan into machine, close lid.
- Press your select buttons to read Whole Wheat | Dough | Large and press start.
- Once dough is finished, remove from machine pan, kneading it once or twice, shaping it into a loaf shape. Place in a greased loaf pan.
- Using a sharp knife, slice 3-4 slits in the top of the bread dough.
- Cover with sprayed plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. Try using your oven wth the light on for a warm spot, or if chilly, turn your oven on to 100 empty. Turn off and open the door for 5 minutes or so to allow to cool down slightly, then place your loaf to rise in the warmed, but not turned on oven.
- Once doubled, preheat oven to 375 degrees (be sure to remove your loaf while preheating), remove plastic wrap and bake for 30-35 minutes until top is brown and crispy to the touch.
- Allow to rest and cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing with a serrated.
- Serve warm with butter.
Converting Bread Machine to Recipe to Stand Mixer
- Start by adding your ingredients in the same order listed. Mix well using your paddle attachment, then once dough forms, switch out to the J hook attachment and knead for about 5 minutes on low.
- Oil a medium/large bowl and turn the dough into the bowl. Cover with damp tea bowl or oil sprayed on plastic wrap. Place in warm place and allow to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Punch down and knead for a couple minutes. Place in greased loaf pan, slice a couple of diagonal slices on top and allow to rise until doubled again in a warm location, covering with damp tea towel or sprayed plastic wrap.
- Once doubled, preheat oven to 375° and bake for 30-35 minutes until crusty on top, allow to cool for 15-30 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: Russian Black Bread, Bread Machine, bread, black bread