Potato Leek soup is a silky, elegant and classic soup. This simple soup recipe is gently flavored with leeks and potatoes, rich broth and delicate spices. Easy to make in your Instant Pot® (electric pressure cooker) or stove top. Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free options.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (the real deal, increase olive oil if vegan)
- 3 large or 5 smaller leeks (white and light green parts only) thoroughly washed, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour (all purpose GF flour may be substituted)
- 5 cups chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian or vegan)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black ground pepper
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional, but try it)
- 3/4 cup half and half (substitute with heavy cream, whole milk or coconut milk)
- Chopped green onions (or chives)
- Soup cream (substitute creme fraiche or plain yogurt)
- Crisp cooked bacon, chopped small
- Gather your ingredients and prep (wash, peel, chop, measure) for quick and easy soup assembly.
- Clean and slice your leeks (white parts only); thoroughly washed, halved and sliced.
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot®, when it reads “HOT” add oil and butter.
- Stove Top | Heat 4 qt or larger pot over medium-high heat, add oil and butter.
- Add leeks and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Sprinkle flour (or GF flour) over the leeks, stirring until incorporated, about a minute.
- Pour in broth, stirring well and scraping the bottom to get all the flour mixed in and incorporated.
- Add cubed potatoes, bay leaf, sea salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir well.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot® and set the steam release valve to sealing position.
- Stove Top | Bring to boil, simmer on low until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes, skip to puree options).
- Adjust time + or – to 7 minutes in Manual or Pressure Cook mode on Instant Pot.
- Once cooking cycle ends, allow the pot to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes, then release balance of steam (careful)!
- Once the pressure pin drops on the steam release, open the top and stir the soup. Be sure to remove your bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, blend right in the pot until smooth and silky.
- Puree in a blender in small batches. Pour a couple ladles of soup into blender and purée, pour puréed soup into another pot or large bowl until all soup is blended, return pureed soup to pressure cooker pot.
- Have a Vitamix? Pour the soup into blender (if the container is large enough, if not, do in batches), turn Vitamix to low speed, then slowly increase the speed until smooth and steamy.
- After the soup is puréed, pour in your half and half (coconut milk, heavy cream or whole milk may be substituted), stir until combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Pour in a little swirl of sour cream (see notes), chopped chives or green onions and crisp bacon, all optional, but adds a lovely touch.
- Serve soup hot or cold.
PRESENTATION TIP | If you want pretty swirls and “dots” of sour cream in your soup; stir the sour cream (plain yogurt or crème fraîche) well and pour into baggie. Snip the corner off and using like a pastry bag, swirl in desired pattern or use a skewer or knife to swirl around.
© 2018 | This recipe for Potato Leek Soup was featured first on The Fresh Cooky.
Keywords: potato leek soup, pressure cooker, instant pot, stove top, creamy soup, entertaining recipe, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free