The BEST stuffing or dressing to perfectly compliment your holiday dinner. Stuff a turkey, serve as a side with pork or poultry. Tart cranberries, crisp sweet apples, crunchy pecans and savory sausage, sweet maple syrup and a splash of bourbon, this will become your new stuffing.
- 1 10* oz bag cubed seasoned stuffing (I used Mrs. Cubbison’s Organic, Non-GMO)
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (I like bulk, all natural, nitrate, nitrite free)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup onion, diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 cup celery, diced (about 4 ribs celery)
- ½ cup fresh cranberries, chopped (or sub with 1/2 cup dried cranberries)
- ½ apple, chopped (I use honeycrisp)
- ½–¾ cup pecans, rough chopped and toasted
- 3 Tablespoons Whiskey or Bourbon (apple juice may be substituted)
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup (no substitutions)
- 1–2 cups chicken or turkey broth/stock
This is enough for a 10-14 lb turkey, if making larger or you need more, double the recipe.
- In a large heavy sauté pan, over medium-high heat, brown the breakfast sausage (I like to remove the casings if using tube sausage).
- Once browned, remove sausage to a large bowl.
- Pour bag of dry stuffing mix into the bowl over the sausage.
- In the same pan you browned your sausage, melt your butter over medium heat, heat until it foams up and then subsides, browning the butter until a nutty aroma is smelled.
- Add your chopped onions and celery and sauté until tender and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- While your veggies are sautéing, heat another pan and toss in pecans over medium heat, toss around for a couple minutes until warmed and slightly toasted.
- Add your chopped cranberries and apples to the onion/celery mixture and sauté over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Stirring well.
- Increase heat slightly and carefully pour in whiskey (bourbon or apple juice may be substituted) and reduce until liquid almost gone.
- Pour in your maple syrup, stir around.
- Remove from stove and pour veggie, fruit mixture over the stuffing.
- Gently combine all ingredients, but stirring.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock and gently stir to coat most of the stuffing mix.
- If stuffing a turkey, remove amount needed to stuff and stuff turkey when ready to roast.
- Otherwise, butter a casserole dish well and place stuffing inside dish. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Remove from fridge 30-60 minutes prior to baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, for crisper dressing, leave uncovered, for moister keep foil on and uncover during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Need a Tender Turkey, Gravy or Creamy Garlic Mashed Potato recipe? Click on the links.
SLOW COOKER METHOD: If desired, this can be baked in your slow cooker. Butter or grease crock well, pour in prepared stuffing. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Once full time has passed, turn off slow cooker, lightly toss stuffing, cover again and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Copyright 2017 | This recipe for Maple Apple Sausage Stuffing was featured first on The Fresh Cooky.
Keywords: maple apple sausage stuffing, dressing, stuffing, thanksgiving side dish, christmas, turkey