Chewy center; crispy, caramelized edges, not too fat, not too thin, the BEST m&m Chocolate Chip Cookies! Add a little Christmas bling to this cookie and toss in some jewel toned, holiday colored M&M’s.
m&m Chocolate Chip Cookies
Baking the Perfect Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
I’ve spent years perfecting my chocolate chip cookie. Especially at altitude, it has to have just the right chewy to softness factor, loads of rich chocolate and sprinkled with a tiny hint of sea-salt. Adding some M&M’s just dresses it up and adds even more chocolate!
The recipe is so simple really, follow my Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, omitting the 2/3 cup chocolate chunks and replacing them with 1 cup holiday M&M’s of your favorite color. You can swap out any holiday M&M’s!
The handy printable recipe is below, but for step-by-step visuals, refer back to the Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe post.
Remember ovens vary significantly in temperatures, it’s okay to check early to make sure they aren’t baking too fast. I highly suggest purchasing an oven thermometer and if necessary increase or decrease oven temp until you get desired results.
HOW TO PACKAGE COOKIE DOUGH FOR GIFTING
These cookies are FABULOUS packaged up in the dough ball form and given to family, friends, co-workers and neighbors as gifts over the holidays. They will THANK YOU, profusely!
Check out my post on how to package cookie dough for gifting, fun, yummy, creative gifts!!
What people are saying about High Altitude Chewy m&m Chocolate Chip Cookies
I can not thank you enough! I live in Silverton, Colorado (9,318ft) and I have yet to make super chewy cookies at this elevation. The soft & chewy m&m cookies have perfect consistency!!! I am a cookie fanatic, and a few local places sell homemade cookies. I know these ladies will keep their secrets, but I now have one of my own! You rock! Thanks so much!!!
Want MORE, chewy, soft, amazing cookies? Click here!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!★
- 1 cup (2 sticks), softened butter (the real deal, no substitutes)
- ⅔ cup white sugar (I use, organic all-natural cane sugar) [¾ cup if not high altitude]
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed [¾ cup if not high altitude]
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups flour [2 cups if not high altitude]
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp water [omit, if not high altitude]
- 1 cup chocolate chips (use a good quality chocolate chip)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup seasonal M&M's
- Flaky Sea Salt for sprinkling on top of baked cookies (optional) I love Maldon Flaky Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Cream softened butter in mixer, 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy, scrape down edges of bowl.
- Add both granulated and brown sugar and cream well, beat on medium-high for 2-4 minutes, scraping down sides about half way between. (About 4 minutes if using natural cane sugar). Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, cream on medium-high 1 minute for each egg addition, scrape down sides in between. Add vanilla and mix well.
- While creaming butter and sugar mixture; in a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt gently with a whisk. With mixer on low/stir, slowly pour in ½ cup of flour mixture at a time and gently mix, add water in between flour additions, don’t over mix.
- Once mixed well, scrape sides of bowl and pour in chocolate chips, minis and seasonal M&M's, stir (with low on mixer or by hand) on low, until combined. Scoop into dough balls using a 2-tablespoon scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Place in fridge 10 minutes prior to baking, bake 8-10 minutes until just set and slightly golden. Cool on pan 2-3 minutes and then remove to cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy warm or room temp.
FREEZING COOKIE DOUGH
- If not enjoying all the cookies at once, freeze dough balls until firm, then place in freezer ziplock bag until ready to use.
- Once ready to bake, take out of freezer and place 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheet. Allow cookies to soften while the oven preheats to 375 degrees.. Bake as directed above.
- Always fresh cookies!
TIPS for the Chewiest Cookies
- Always use real butter, not butter blends or substitutes.
- Always, always refrigerate your dough for at least 10 minutes prior to baking, up to 36 hours (covered); 2-3 months if frozen.
- Remove from oven when edges are golden and appear baked, but centers still appear slightly under-baked.
- Cool on pan 2-3 minutes before transferring to wire rack.
SMALLER OR LARGER COOKIES | If smaller cookies desired, use a small cookie scoop and bake for 6-8 minutes. If larger cookies are desired, use a large cookie scoop and bake 10-12 minutes.
© 2018 | This recipe for Holiday M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies was featured first on The Fresh Cooky.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Anchor Hocking 2 Quart Glass Batter Bowl With Lid (81106L11)
- KitchenAid 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series with Glass Bowl - Sea Glass
- Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack
- 1 X Pampered Chef Mini-Serving Spatula #2622
- Unbleached Parchment Paper, Set of 100, 12 x 16 Inches, Pre-Cut
- Nordic Naturals Half Sheet Pans
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 198mg Carbohydrates: 19g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g