Soft, a little chewy, packed with amazing flavor and gooeyness these copycat Mimi’s Honey Bran Muffins are are perfect and you might say that they are on the healthy-ish side! WIN!
- 3 tablespoons all-natural cane sugar (regular sugar is fine)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons water
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses, unsulphured
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I like avocado or grapeseed oils)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half & half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest (optional for a little extra to sprinkle on top)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat bran (I haven’t tried oat bran, but I’d like to try sometime)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350° and spray muffin tin (12 cup) with spray oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk your glaze ingredients together and set aside. If using all natural cane sugar, whisk for a bit to break down the larger granules.
- In a separate bowl add dry ingredients; flour, wheat bran, sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk to combine, set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, mix brown sugar, honey, molasses, and oil and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Add your egg, water, cream (or half & half) and orange zest and mix until incorporated, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients with mixer on low speed until mixed.
- Stir up your glaze and using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop about 2/3 of a tablespoon of glaze into bottom of each muffin cup, spreading it around and up the sides, this will ensure that distribution of the glaze is even and gets all over that muffin!
- Using a medium or large cookie scoop, scoop muffin batter into muffin cups, about 2/3 full, careful not to overfill them, they do overflow a bit, but you don’t want them overflowing onto the bottom of your oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- As soon as they are done, line a cooling rack with a piece of parchment paper and carefully flip the muffin tin over, allowing those beautiful bran muffins to escape.
- Eat immediately (especially yummy with a pat of butter) or cool and reheat (also with a pat of butter and maybe drizzle of honey!)
- Please enjoy bran responsibly! —————— I crack myself up!!
Recipe lightly adapted from Lou Lou Girls.
© 2019 | This recipe for Honey Bran Muffins (Mimi’s Copycat) was featured first on The Fresh Cooky.
Keywords: Honey Bran Muffins, copycat Mimi's, breakfast muffins, honey