This recipe for tortilla soup is loaded with chicken and veggies, a little rice and adorned with the brightest green avocado, salty queso fresco, crunchy tortilla chips, a touch of cilantro, and finished with a squeeze of lime.
- 2 large chicken boneless, skinless breasts (turkey or rotisserie chicken may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2–1 teaspoon cumin
- 1–3 shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 32 oz box chicken stock or broth
- 1–2 cups cooked rice (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1 small (single serving) carton or can of tomato soup
- 1–2 limes, juiced
- 2–3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla Chips
- Queso Fresco
- Jack or Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Tobasco sauce
- Sour cream or Mexican Crema
- If using uncooked chicken; rinse chicken and cover with water, cook until tender about 10-12 minutes, shred or dice.
- Or use leftover turkey or a rotisserie chicken, about 2 cups worth, shredded or diced.
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat, pour in olive oil and butter.
- Toss in minced onions and saute until translucent and golden (6-7 minutes), in the last minute or so toss in the minced garlic, saute for 1 minute.
- Add in spices and saute for 1 minute.
- Toss in canned chilies, diced tomatoes, diced chicken and chicken broth. Stir and bring to simmer.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- If adding corn and rice, add at the end, simmer additional 4 minutes or so.
- Before serving stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve hot over crushed tortilla chips, crumbled or shredded cheese, avocado chunks and a squeeze of fresh lime.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS | If you have all day, saute your onions and garlic, then add all other ingredients to a slow cooker, including chicken (raw or frozen is fine if you have at least 8 hours) make sure your chicken is cooked if you have 4 hours or less). Shred chicken and add corn, rice, lime juice and cilantro just before serving.
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, soup, comfort food, 30 minute meal, slow cooker, soup