Dutch Babies or German pancakes are an egg-y, crepe like pancake! Oven baked to huge, fluffy, light pancake perfection! Served with melted butter, a squeeze of lemon and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used salted)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature (see notes if you forgot to bring to room temp)
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed (I use Organic Whole milk)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1–2 tablespoons sugar (can easily omit!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Toppings (check out multiple options in instructions)
- butter, melted or soft
- fresh squeeze of lemon juice
- dusting of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425° and place butter into an oven safe skillet (about 10″), place skillet in oven to melt butter and heat the pan, should only take a minute or two.
- In a batter bowl (or blender); place warm milk, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, vanilla and room temp eggs. Whisk well until smooth or blend on low until combined and smooth.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15-25 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes until the puffing goes down slightly.
- Slice into wedges and serve with melted butter and maple syrup or a dusting of powdered sugar or check out these options below!
- CLASSIC DUTCH BABY | Drizzle with melted butter, a dusting of powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon. My favorite!
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BABY | Add 1/4 cup chocolate chips to batter (variety of your choice), stir to combine. Bake as directed, remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, sprinkle on a few more chips prior to serving. Serve with a melted butter and pure maple syrup or go for it, splash on some chocolate syrup!
- LUSCIOUS LEMON DUTCH BABY | Add zest of one lemon to batter, bake as directed. For a sweet citrusy pop, drop a dollop of lemon curd and dust with powdered sugar. Toss on some fresh blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries or blackberries — you get the idea.
- DOUBLE DUTCH CHOCOLATE BABY | Add 2 tablespoons of Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder to batter, mix until smooth, bake as directed, serve with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, chocolate chips and if desired sliced strawberries or raspberries — perfect for Valentine’s Day!
© 2019 | This recipe for Dutch Baby Oven Pancake was featured first on The Fresh Cooky.
Keywords: Dutch Baby, Oven Pancake, German Pancake, Chocolate Dutch Baby, Lemon Curd, Chocolate Chip, Sunday Brunch, Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day