Easy Creamy White Queso Dip
An easy creamy white queso dip recipe you can get behind! Loaded with real cheese, green chiles, and aromatic spices. This creamy queso uses all-natural ingredients, stays smooth and creamy and tastes spectacular! No fake cheese or velveeta here!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 10-16
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3/4 lb white American cheese, whole milk (purchase in deli)
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese (try fontina or white cheddar cheese as well)
- 2 oz white cheddar cheese (sharp or mild)
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles (or canned/jarred jalapenos), chopped
- 3/4-1 teaspoon chili powder (sub. with cumin or leave out both if desired)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground or fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white (or black) ground pepper
- chopped tomatoes
- fresh diced jalapeños
- jarred jalapeños, whole or diced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- red onion, minced
- Prep (slice, dice, chop, open) your ingredients, once you start the recipe you need to stir continually.
- In a heavy bottomed medium pot, pour in your half & half and heat over medium-high heat. Once it starts simmering, but not boiling (it will crawl up sides of pan slightly when ready), reduce heat to low. If using warm a small cast iron skillet on low on the stove or in the oven.
- In small batches, whisk your American cheese into cream, whisking until smooth before adding more cheese. It melts quickly, so keep adding a little at a time.
- Once your American cheese has been incorporated, start whisking your mozzarella (try fontina or white cheddar cheese too) cheese. Whisk until melted and smooth. Don’t stop stirring!
- Stir in the green chiles or chopped jarred jalapeños if preferred. Stir until combined.
- Add the chili powder (optional), ground nutmeg (optional), red pepper flakes, sea salt and white pepper. Stir well. See notes for other options on spices.
- Remove from heat and pour into a porcelain or ceramic serving dish or a small cast iron skillet. Cast iron works great since you can heat them ahead of time and they hold their heat for a while, but not forever. If re-warming is needed when serving in cast iron, return to the stove top over low heat, adding a splash of cream or milk, stir to combine.
- You may also pour into a mini slow cooker for serving, it will keep it warm and smooth, stir occasionally.
- Toss on your garnish, it really does add to the presentation, but adds delicious flavor and yummies for dipping.
- Serve with your favorite (warm-see notes) tortilla chips and enjoy!
- You may want to add a little more mozzarella (or a little sharp cheddar, a small handful is good) depending on your desired queso thickness.
- The original recipe called for chili powder or cumin (same amounts) or neither spice if preferred, if you aren’t sure, add a little bit at a time and taste for preference. Same with the nutmeg, I liked a little (brings out the cheese flavors) fresh grated into the queso. For the chili powder/cumin and nutmeg, it’s okay to leave them out all-together if that is your preference.
- I love warm tortilla chips. To warm spread a layer of chips on a cookie sheet and warm on 250º for 8-10 minutes until warmed or place in microwave safe bowl and heat on high 30 seconds at a time until warmed.
This recipe is adapted from Becky Hardin at The Cookie Rookie
© 2018 | This recipe for Creamy White Queso Dip was featured first on The Fresh Cooky.
Keywords: Queso, White Queso, Cheese Dip, Queso Blanco, easy