Tender chicken in a deliciously satisfying creamy coconut sauce, mixed with earthy spices and the robust richness of tomatoes! It’s a wonderful quick weeknight meal, done in under 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (avocado or coconut may be used also)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (more if heavier spice desired)
- 14 oz can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (I prefer organic)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (organic if possible), cut into 1″ cubes
- 2–3 cups fresh baby spinach (optional)
- Rice, Quinoa, Spinach or Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles) to pour the curry over.
- Italian Parsley (optional garnish)
- Heat oil in a large skillet, adding the onions once hot.
- Saute over medium heat for 6-7 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add the curry powder and salt, stirring for about 1 minute until aromatic and spices have covered the onions.
- Scoot onions to one side of the pan.
- If needed, add additional 1-2 teaspoons of oil to open side of pan, dump in chicken chunks and stir to brown on all sides.
- Stir into onions and spice mixture.
- Once browned, add coconut milk, tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- If adding optional spinach, add at the end and cook until just wilted, about 2-3 minutes
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or zoodles (zuchinni noodles)
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’d love to hear how it turned out, leave a comment below and share a picture of it on Instagram @thefreshcooky and tag #thefreshcooky.