An addictive, easy Asian Ramen Noodle Salad, a coleslaw if you will. Loaded with bright flavorful veggies and crunchies, holds up well under heat and is dressed in a reduced sugar sweet-sour dressing.
Make it for dinner or a luncheon, add shredded chicken, toss in some crunchy water chestnuts, peanuts, cashews or chow mein noodles to enhance it even further, I have even put in diced fresh avocado!
ASIAN RAMEN NOODLE SALAD PERFECT FOR POTLUCKS & PICNICS
I love this wildly popular salad recipe, it holds up well in most types of weather and stays crispy and fresh long after other salads have wilted. So what makes this one different?
All-natural ingredients, that’s what! I have a personal vendetta against MSG and other ingredients I can’t pronounce, this recipe uses simple ingredients that you most likely have in your pantry or fridge without sacrificing taste!
How to Make All Natural Asian Dressing
Many of the recipes out there call to use the packet from the ramen noodles in the dressing. We call those “Cup O’ Sodium” in our family, have you read the ingredients?! EW! I have recently found these Organic Ramen Noodles and they work beautifully for this dish and they are a decent meal, in a pinch.
But I digress back to the dressing, place all of your dressing ingredients into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid, shake wildly; it will still separate, but at least you have a start.
Please don’t replace the Toasted Sesame Oil — if you have never cooked with it, you are in for a treat!! And it stores beautifully in the fridge.
All Natural Asian Salad Dressing
Before you put that jar in the fridge though, use it to gently crush the ramen noodles, you don’t want them smashed to smithereens, but small, even chunks. Now go put the bottle in the fridge, sorry, I’ve been told I’m bossy!
Please preheat your oven to 350° — note, the please!
Next for the BEST part, the “CRUNCHIES” as I call them.
Toast in 350° oven for 5-7 minutes, shake them about half way through, you want them lightly toasted.
Once your “crunchies” are toasted, set aside to cool completely, it won’t take long.
ASSEMBLING THE SALAD | COLESLAW
Try these other delicious recipes along with this Asian salad:
I’d love it if you enjoy this recipe if you’d comment and rate the recipe in the recipe card.
Hashtag any recipes you make from The Fresh Cooky #thefreshcooky or tag me @thefreshcooky
on Instagram to be featured on our stories!
- 2 bags of shredded cabbage (I use 1 bag regular mixed coleslaw and 1 bag angel hair)
- 1 pkg of ramen noodles, uncooked (I like Koyu, Organic Ramen Noodles), crushed, toasted
- 1 small can of mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/3 cup (heaping) slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 small can water chestnuts (optional)
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie cooked chicken breast (optional)
- 3-4 sprigs fresh chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashews (optional garnish)
- 1 cup oil (I use grapeseed or avocado)
- ½ cup rice vinegar (or white wine)
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (Tamari, Bragg's Liquid Aminos or GF Soy all work)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (I used, natural cane sugar)
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make your dressing. Pour all dressing ingredients into a mason jar, with a tight fitting lid and shake until combined. Use the bottle to gently crush the ramen noodles (in package), then store dressing in fridge until ready to use.
- Place your almonds, sesame seeds, and crushed ramen noodles onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for about 5-7 minutes, watch closely - you want them just golden. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Combine cabbage, noodles, almonds, sesame seeds, green onions, chicken and mandarin oranges, water chestnuts (optional) toss to mix up. Shake dressing until combined again, pour over salad, mixing well. Refrigerate for an hour or two for best flavors. Add chopped or shredded chicken for a meal.
- Before serving, sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and roasted cashews (optional). If you don’t plan on having any leftover, you can also add some chopped romaine, but it will get wilty if left over.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware 8 Piece Covered Bowl Set, Multicolor
OXO Good Grips Little Salad Dressing Shaker, Black
Clear Glass Wavy Salad Bowl, Mixing Bowl, All Purpose Round Serving Bowl Salad/food Glass Bowls, Set of 5, One 10" and Four 5.25"
Eddington 50012 Italian Olive Wood Salad Server, Handcrafted in Europe, 2-Piece Set, 13-Inches
Mini Glass Pitcher 9 ounces
Ball Mason Jars Wide Mouth 32 oz Bundle with Non Slip Jar Opener- Set of 4 Quart Size Mason Jars - Canning Glass Jars with Lids
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 11mg Sodium: 356mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Protein: 6g
LOVE WHOLESOME DELICIOUS RECIPES? COME FOLLOW ALONG!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #TheFreshCooky so we can see it.
We might feature it on Instagram!
GET FREE RECIPES FROM THE FRESH COOKY DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!